Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Controllers with Secondary parameters when pressing Shift+ParameterChange
DJ MekuHome userMember since 2019
Hi, hope this finds every one well.
I have the DDJ-SB3 and I love it very much for this special feature where besides buttons, all knobs & faders also have a secondary control while pressing shift

This enables me to map SHIFT_EQ_HIGH, MID & LOW to Stems controls for example. This is great because I have still have regular filter/EQ controls but I can slowly fade vocals or Instru away on demand, while leaving the performance pads free. Something else one might do is to map the SHIFT_EQ_HIGH, SHIFT_FILTER, SHIFT_VOLUME, etc. to control Deck 3 & Deck 4 channels directly

I tried this on a the DDJ400 and noticed that no SHIFT_EQ parameters are available. The same with the relatively newer Flx6.

So I was wondering, can you kindly check if your controller has these additional SHIFT_knob_or_fader parameters available for mapping? I was especially keen to find out about the new DDJ-FLX10, but also the DDJ-1000, DDJ-1000SRT, and If you have the DDJ-SX2 or DDJ-SX3 I would also be keen to find out, because these are the 4-channel controllers I'm looking to upgrading to, but I don't want to miss out on my favourite SHIFT_EQ feature 😋

You can check/test by connecting your controller to VDJ, go to Settings -> Mappings.
Watch the monitor window (circled red on the above picture) then twist the EQ on your controller.
It will display the parameter name e.g. EQ_HIGH. Now hold shift & twist the same EQ knob.
If you see the same EQ parameter, it means the controller doesn't support this feature.
However if you see a new parameter changing, e.g. SHIFT_EQ_HIGH, then it is supported & we'll add it to a list!

Eventually we'll just build a list of controllers with this feature here, and the currently we have:
Pioneer DDJ-SB3

List of controller tested that do NOT support this feature:
Pioneer DDJ-400
Pioneer DDJ-FLX6

Many thanks in advance for your time in helping me test this with your controller

Mensajes Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 12:36 pm
You don't need to do that.
Some controllers offer SHIFT_ operations in the firmware and others don't.
However VirtualDJ adds the SHIFT_ capability for all of them, for you.
So even in a controller that doesn't have SHIFT_EQ_LOW key you can use one.
Or you can simply use shift ? this : that on the main key

Mensajes Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 12:56 pm
Two thoughts:

1) One can view every default mapping. From your photo, click the "Show all compatible controllers..." in the upper left corner, and choose say the DDJ 1000, and check for SHIFT_EQ.

2) A SHIFT_EQ definition does not need to be present to accomplish what you wish. All one needs is SHIFT. Then remap
SHIFT = shift 

to
SHIFT = shift & set '$myshift' 1 while_pressed

And remap any knobs/buttons with:
var $myshift ? SHIFT ACTION : ORIGINAL ACTION

So the feature you wish, can effectively be available on every controller.

UPDATE:
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Or you can simply use shift ? this : that on the main key

good one Phantom.. to just use shift (much better, no need to set a variable)

always learning from your amazing knowledge.

Mensajes Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 1:16 pm
DJ MekuHome userMember since 2019
Hi and thank you all for your informative responses! And I get it now!!
So I basically just add an if statement to check if shift is pressed while twisting the EQ_HIGH parameter, like:
shift ? stem FullVocal : eq_high
This would definitely work on all controllers!
Thank you all again!

Mensajes Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 2:29 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
edited your script, it needs spaces.

Mensajes Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 2:53 pm