Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Tema: ID3 TAG instead of filenames !!!

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

PaLmHome userMember since 2002
Why not use the ID3-tags istead of the filenames.

Here's a short example:
I have a cd , and all the songs of that cd are in a directory.
They are called

01 - artist x - song 1
02 - artist x - song 2
02 - artist x - song 3

in that case atomixmp3 will do the following thing:
artist: 01
title : artist - song 1

You know what I want to say?

If you use the ID3 TAGS (or even better, let the user have the choose between both) then you'll always get the artist and the title right (compare in winamp for example)

This a a very big "bug" - "shortage" in atomixmp3 I think !!!
For example , if you know the artist's name, but there is
artist: 03
title : artist x - song 2
then it 's hard to find and to have a good overall view.
Don't you think?

I've been thinking this already many times.

So please , makers, developpers of atomixmp3, could you put this in the next version of atomixmp3 ???

I guess it isn't that much work to make this working.

Greetz,

PaLm.

And I really really hope that you guys make this work.

Mensajes Mon 25 Feb 02 @ 4:09 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
UGH!! Personally I think one of the best things about Atomix is that it doesn't use id3 tags!! If they do put this feature in, I hope like hell they allow it to be optional!! 17,000 songs all properly named artist - title... it would suck to have to go through and properly tag them.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mensajes Mon 25 Feb 02 @ 5:08 pm
IMPRessions dj, you're absolutely right... I hate id3, idiot-drama-3

Mensajes Mon 25 Feb 02 @ 10:47 pm
Hey guys, the reason why you think ID3 sucks, is that your ID3's aren't propertly named,
I have over 6000 mp3's and all of them have the exact ID3.
It costed me an awfull lot of work to do that, but when I now what to find something, with a program that supports ID3, ow, it's GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, why not put this function in atomix, but optional, one that you can choose, in the options panel ?

Then those who want to use ID3, can choose that, and the others can choose the filename (like it is now),
wouldn't that be the best?

Now it's just a small thing for me, when I now have new mp3s, to make that ID3 is filled in correctly, ...
But the first time it costs an awfull lot of time, I agree.

So why not put this function in as optional, because, I've discussed this subject with a couple of other guys, and they also really think it could be VERY usefull.

What do you think?

Greetz,

PaLm.

(If you want your program to be the most complete, I Really think you should put ID3-tag as an optional setting).
Hey, and if you don't want to use it, fine by me, it's your choice, and I appreciate everyone's thoughts, everybody's free to chose the settings they want.
And I (and a few friends (DJ's) of me want to use ID3 also).

Mensajes Mon 25 Feb 02 @ 11:05 pm
Well with regard to the id3 tag issue, there really is no reason to call names. Some seemingly intelligent people have discussed them in the past. Personally, As long as Atomix will continue to display my extensive music library by artist and title, I don't really care if they make id3 tags an OPTION. I've actually gone to great lengths to insure that my 70 gigs of mp3's are properly named. Artist - Title. Of the DJ programs I have tried, Atomix was the first to display all 17,000 of them properly. Several of the other ones used id3 tags, that's the primary reason that those other programs got un-installed from my machines, and I actually pulled out the credit card for Atomix. Well, that plus, Atomix was, and is so much better.
In the other programs, I had real issues with the id3 tag requirement, I never got them to properly display my library. I hated that! The first time I installed Atomix, BOOM, there they all were, artist in the artist column, and title in the title column. I'd like it to stay that way.

Mensajes Mon 25 Feb 02 @ 11:31 pm
I know that if you name ALL your mp3s in a way of ARTIST - TITLE, than it works really great, congratulations to atomixmp3 for that.

But again the example:
I have a cd , and all the songs of that cd are in a directory.
They are called
01 - artist x - song 1
02 - artist x - song 2
02 - artist x - song 3
in that case atomixmp3 will do the following thing:
artist: 01
title : artist - song 1

if you have (let's say 200) cds named like that, + other mp3's in a directory named ARTIST - TITLE, what then?
= the solution: ID3 ! (then it's also ARTIST - TITLE, as in the filename structure 'artist - title"

Therefore, look at the example of winamp, ID3 works there REALLY REALLY REALLY GREAT, why can't atomixmp3 put the ID3 tag in there also (just like winamp), as an option?

You say, programs crashed and so on, and the ID3 doesn't seem to work properly, but winamp does the job great (I never had that it failed, it just doesn't happen).
If you have a program where it DOES work well, then ID3 is just great (aspecially if you consider the nr - artist - song build up), isn't it, IF it does work well, like in winamp.

But let it stay an option, so people that still want to continue working with the filename won't see any difference, and it won't bother them also, if they just chose the filename option instead of the ID3 option.

I know that when the ID3tag look up in a certain program sucks, that it can be VERY annoying, but think af winamp, that really loads them superbly (never had a failure !!!!!!).

Another very annoying thing with the filename system:
Let's have the next example:
Par-T-One vs INXS - I'm So Crazy
In that case you get this result:
artist: Par
title: T-One vs INXS - I'm So Crazy

What about that, think about it, ID3 would solve those problems smoothly.

Greetz,

PaLm.

Mensajes Tue 26 Feb 02 @ 12:55 am
I see your example, and I understand it. The only thing I can think to tell you is that you have named your MP3's wrong when you ripped them. Take the numbers off, or put them after the artist name. Then the number won't come up under artist. If I have a CD where the tracks are typically run together, then I name them with that in mind. Like artist cd name 01 - song title. That way they are always displayed in the proper order. Face it, the vast majority of CD's, you do not need the track number. This is extraneous information, why waste the effort? Set up your CD ripping program to use only the information you need.
I don't mean to imply that your way is the incorrect way of doing it, I'm just saying that maximum useability of your library will ocurr if you use the naming format that the program you are using recognizes. Sure, they may eventually make it so that id3 tags are useable, but for now I'd say you got some work to do. :-)

Mensajes Tue 26 Feb 02 @ 1:46 am
Sorry, didn't read your 2nd example... Just don't use hyphens. Hyphens seperate the fields. Atomix sees the first hyphen, everything after that is title. It's easy to work around. ID3 tags tend to confuse most people, and many programs.

Mensajes Tue 26 Feb 02 @ 1:49 am
Let's make it an option an everybody's happy ... not?
I think it would mean an adjustment to the internal database but this isn't much of a problem I think ...
Regards,
Atomixer 4 life

Mensajes Tue 26 Feb 02 @ 9:09 am
Just don't use hyphens?
Yeah, ok, I also know that that would solve the problem, but then you have the wrong artist name,
and the whole idea of naming the mp3s rightly, then falls apart.

But this is definitely something that is pretty easy to fix I guess, the only thing to do for the programmers is to make that instead of after a hyphen, you have the title
= change that in: after SPACE HYPHEN SPACE, then you have title.
This is really a peace of cake to a programmer to make that happen,
because, there are quite a lot artists, that have a hyphen in there name, but not "space hyphen space".
Know what I mean, If you have some programming skills, you automatically know what to do about it.

The reason why I name my full-cds in a way of "01 - artist - title 1" ....
is because when you open the directory of a cd , then you'll get the same order as on the compact disk itself, I've been thinking about this kind of filename doing a lot.

And then I thought, if I do it that way, "nr - artist - title", and I make sure that the ID3-tag is right, you can let the cd-directories as they are on the real order of the audio cd, and when you add all the directories you have in a playlist, that uses ID3 (as winamp does) then you can sort ALL the songs you have very easily on title or on artist.

when you name an mp3 in the way you say it, so for example "artist - title - nr (- cd name)", then you also get a playlist with TITLE: " title - nr (- cd name) "

So it isn't at all as clean and clear as when you'd use ID3

It think the maximum useability of my library is reached then:
- my directories (of full-cds) are sorted in a right way
- and when I want a complete playlist, with ID3 (that is correct), you'll get a very clean list (without the nr, and name of cd, ... in the title for example).

Face it, the way of naming an mp3, like artist - title - nr - name of cd for example, won't give you very clear directories and playlists.

I really think it's up to the developpers of atomixmp3 to make the ID3 tag function optional in atomixmp3, in a way it works as in winamp.

But hey, let people have the choice, eather ID3, eather filename.

Greetz,

PaLm.

PS: I hope I make it clear what I want to say, because English isn't my nature language, I appologize for possible errors in my language usage.

Mensajes Tue 26 Feb 02 @ 9:20 am
To say something about the 2nd last reply
"Let's make it an option an everybody's happy ... not?
I think it would mean an adjustment to the internal database but this isn't much of a problem I think ...
Regards,
Atomixer 4 life"

I completely share yout opinion.
That's it, when this would be an option that you can choose in the options panel, then everyone would have the choice to use what they want, and everyone would be happy +
and it would also make atomixmp3 more complete.

Greetz,

PaLm.

(I really hope the atomix developping team does an effort to make this function work).

Mensajes Tue 26 Feb 02 @ 9:46 am
ID3 tag is a very good idea, lots of DJ use it (specially pros). If you want a good example use BPM studio 4 or may be your not as good as you think you are.

Mensajes Wed 06 Mar 02 @ 3:22 am
SalvaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
quote"ID3 tag is a very good idea, lots of DJ use it (specially pros). If you want a good example use BPM studio 4 or may be your not as good as you think you are."quote

If there is a option to switch to id3 tag, there is no prob. for me.
But i HATE the programs that only work with id3 tags, too much work for what???

And what has a pro to do with ID3 tags that is bullshit!!!, I now some pro's and most of them use VINYL!!.

And about Bpm is a good Mp3 software, but no autobeatmixing there is it?
And the price is not right € 450,00 ex. tax or with the hardware controller it will cost up to € 1549,00!!!!!.

Atomixmp3 has a price thats right € 50, and believe me many dj's that see my setup are AMEZED especialy of the autobeatmatching!!.

Grtz Salva
ps i sound a little agresive but i just came outa bed, sorry for that.

Mensajes Wed 06 Mar 02 @ 10:54 am
So, since I don't want to use id3 tags, I'm maybe not as good of a DJ as I think I am?
I never said I was all that good of a DJ to begin with. I'm neither the best or the worst. I just don't need a lot of extra information saved about each song to find it. If adding this takes away 1 tiny bit from the stability, or causes the team to spend one minute less working on better features, then I say, NO... we don't need it or want it even as an option. If that means I'm a bad DJ, I can live with that.

Mensajes Wed 06 Mar 02 @ 11:20 am
With regards to asome of you having file named incorrectly but with the right ID3 tags or vice-virsa should get real juke box a quick whirl. I know it sucks as an mp3 player and is pretty demanding on resources but I use it for the built-in cd ripping. I has a facility where is can automatically rename and sort your mp3 into folders depending on their id3 tags,, and it does this fast. I think it can create Id3 tags from the tracks names as well, provided they don't already have tags.

Mensajes Fri 08 Mar 02 @ 12:44 pm
I think you guys may be missing the point. There are benefits and disadvantages to both ways of working. The wish was simply to put in a feature that would allow the program to use IDV3 tags. Arguing about your personal preference as to whether you would use them or not is pretty irrelevant. We all have different ways of working, and hopefully the programme can accommodate most of us.

I personally would love to have the IDV3 tag functionality. I use a programme (MP3 Tag Studio) to synchronise the filenames and the tags. All my filenames are formatted thusly:

Artist - Title

But my IDV3 tags have important information, such as album names, track number and release year. It can be very handy to search by these fields.

The other reason I use IDV3 tags, is because I often lose part of the filename when writing backup CDs of my MP3's. When I copy them back to the HDD, I simply go into MP3 Tag Studio and fix the filenames. And the programme is soooo fast...

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

DJ InZayne

Mensajes Wed 10 Apr 02 @ 4:51 pm
I just realised I kept typing IDV3 instead of ID3. Forgive the stupidity. Trying to be to clever for my own good, I guess! :)

Anyway, the point stays the same.

DJ InZayne

Mensajes Wed 10 Apr 02 @ 5:14 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)