Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: help with the bass line fading

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

sometimes i'm having some trouble when im trying to fade from one song's bass to the other. i'm certain that others have experienced this. the bass from the two songs cancel eachother out. i've seen that if you move the waveform from one of the songs a bit it takes care of it. but maybe some of you know how to counter this effect completely, because it's quite a drag. please post.

respect.

Mensajes Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 10:32 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You need to kill the bass on one of the decks (channels), either by taking EQ to 0 or by useing the kill switches, both do the same thing, your right, bass on bass is called a bass clash, no one does it..

It is ok, to overlap drum parts, but if both songs have a bassline running through them you have a disaster..

The song you are playing should have full bass, but on the BASS fader at the top (some skins only), keep the bass to the far left (current active deck), this means bass on the new song is 0.., start to fade the FULL fader at the botom, fade it to the half way point, wait till the end of a 16 or 32 beat sequence then fade the BASS fader to the extreme right, to the other side, the you have full bass on the new song and 0 bass on the outgoing song..

If you were talking about beat matching, the waveform isn't 100% accurate like some like to believe.., this means several things, DJ's that don't pre-listen often go off beat, and also DJ's that do use the waveform and pre-listen should consider their ears more accurate than the waveform, so it is often the case when you are perfectly beatmatched and the waveform is some way off.., this is perfectly ok, it's the sound you get on the pre-listen and then the house mix which is important..

Of course if you really care about the waveform, you can help by getting all your bpm's right and adjusting CBG's, to me this is worthless, because I think WE should do the mixing and not rely completely on the computer..

Useing an external mixer and controller helps alot in nailing the beats.

Hope this helps and was what you wanted ;).

Mensajes Sun 07 Aug 05 @ 2:27 pm
How to use an external mxr to eq-fade rather than the vdj eqfaders? Also, while using a xt-mxr, what levels should i set the channel faders in vdj? and the gain? Thnks

Mensajes Tue 30 Aug 05 @ 11:02 am
VDJ settings:
Crossfader: FULL
Gain: -3.0 - -5.0
channel faders in VDJ: FULL

To replicate the EQ faders on a traditional mixer you need to use the eq knobs on both sides together, for example, decrease the lower end on channel A, whilst increase the lower end on deck B.

You can the leave bass down on channel B, and after a 16 or 32 beat pattern you can switch the bass on channel B back to 0 (center), and at the same time turning the bass on channel A to the extreme left (-16db CUT).

that's it really.., you need your hands both the EQ knobs and perform that action at the appropiate time.

You also do it more smoothly and a full cut is rarely needed.

Mensajes Tue 30 Aug 05 @ 4:05 pm
Cool, i thought of that..thanks a lot bagpuss! Great and fast response as usual! Also, one more thing, what about the channel faders on the mixer? Do they need to be full too or 70% is fine? and the gain in the mixer?

Mensajes Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 8:11 am
Proffesionals keep the channel faders between 7-8 (both sides should be equal), and gain should generally be 0 (centered) unless you need to make adjustments, but adjust gain on the mixer and NOT in VDJ, you'll get better sound :).

Enjoy!!.

Mensajes Wed 31 Aug 05 @ 1:45 pm
Cool stuff..thanks again Bagpuss... your quick response and accurate answers are very much appreciated!

Mensajes Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 1:36 pm
It's my pleasure my friend ;).

Mensajes Thu 01 Sep 05 @ 6:20 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)