Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Just a survey..

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

How many of u guys really have a legal Mp3 and dj licenses?

:D

Flame

Mensajes Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 10:29 am
I have a license and spin from CD's because here you must on public.
The weedings and all private parties I spin from mp3 that are not likely legal (many songs you cannot get now normally)

Mensajes Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 11:08 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For DJ'ing I have all my files legal in that they have either been extracted from my own original CD's, or payed for from a legal site, I have no license because clubs normally handle that, but i'm also in a country where their is no law implementations yet on fancy things like DJ licenses, hehe.

I have a few mp3's I download, but purely for the sake of my own listening pleasure.

Mensajes Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 3:05 pm
i rather not say, as i dont want to get locked or anything, but i think you get the point

Mensajes Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 6:29 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I'll be honest in that i don't have a licence...but, like Bagpuss, MOST of my collection is from original cd's that i've bought myself.

Did you see my post about Digital DJ Licence?

Check it out...

P

Mensajes Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 7:24 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I have almost all of my songs legall. I bought them. But one thing is to bought original cd, other thing is that you have permission to play it.

Dj Nikki

Mensajes Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 7:33 pm
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
so how u go about gettin permission? all my mp3s are legal, off cds or d/led from msn

Mensajes Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 7:49 pm
In this country it is not required that you have a license (business or otherwise) to be a DJ. I can DJ anywhere I want without a business license. What is required is that I report my income (and expenses) and pay taxes accordingly. Most of us don't do this. What is required is that you pay royalties to ASCAP/BMI for copyrighted music that is being used for public performance. Most of us don't do this either, unless the establishment you play at has been busted and is particular about paying royalties (as a sidenote, VDJ is great for this, it can print a playlist of every song used in your performance).

As far as whether or not the mp3s on my laptop are legal, of course they are. I bought all the CDs and made the mp3s myself. Using the mp3 of a CD I purchased falls under copyright fair use. I do not need a special license to play mp3s. Apparently in some countries you do.

Mensajes Thu 18 Aug 05 @ 11:14 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Not all my music came from my CD's and Records. Here we don't have to much trouble, we mix the songs and do the job.

Mensajes Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 4:45 am
I pay taxes, report, don't play public performances (no bars or clubs) and have ALL legal music (video and karaoke) thanks to all my extensive cd shopping over the years and promo only, expect for a 4 disc music video collection I just received which I am p'd about. So I'm scrapping it. Sell me a burned copy of a tv music video. Arrgh! I utilize napster and i tunes frequently now (99c a song) oh and walmart.com too. OK. So I turn them around into mp3's maybe that is not so legal but comeon. As close as you get. I can't jeopardize anything. Too risky! That is probably why I book almost all year round and hardly come out making a dime. ;) Oh well, it's fun though...

Mensajes Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 5:41 am
What I can't figure out is how to get in on this royalties scam, I am not a full time DJ I only do it about twice a week, and my understanding is that royalties are to by paid each time that you play a song publicly. How do we allow this? My reqular job is the repair and installation of heating and air conditioning, how do I go about getting royalties everytime someone uses their heating system with quests in their home? and do I get paid by the hour on all of the commercial units that we install sence thay are always used to cool or warm customers of the business.
I beleive that if I bye a disk leagally what I do with it after that is my business. Hell most of the Karaoke disks I have are not performed by the original artist anyway, how do thay keep getting paid for me to play a rendition by somone else.
Do house bands have to pay the original artist each time thay sing their song?
This countries athletes and entertainers are holding us hostage, how long will we let it go on?
Oh buy the way, if I started getting royalties from my HVAC business would I have to inform my customers when they purchased there new system that they would be required to pay 5 cent each time they used it for the life of the unit? because I didn't get that notice on any of my CDs.
Whoo, venting complete::D:D

Mensajes Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 11:17 pm
Interesting thought Funtunes. One comment though, cover bands are not required to pay any royalty for live performance of somebody else's copyrighted song. They don't have to even acknowledge who wrote/performed or holds copyright to the song. At least that's the way it is in America. This is why you can go to a Britney Spears concert and she can sing a Rolling Stones song with no problems. If she puts that Rolling Stones cover on a CD and sells it, she better damn well have it licensed.

Mensajes Fri 19 Aug 05 @ 11:48 pm
My point exactly, Karaoke is in fact a live performance with asistance on the lyrics.
If Brittney can sign the stones and not pay, why must some companies that do only Karaoke music that is performed live except for background music which in most cases is performed by somone other then the original artist "whome I'm quite sure payed the royalties to reproduce the song" have to pay additional royalties?

Mensajes Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 12:13 am
Don't you see that karaoke is still playing a "recorded" copyrighted work in a public performance. Makes no difference that it's without the vocals. Muzak certainly has vocals removed and performed by somebody other than the original artist - just like karaoke. You can damn well bet Muzak pays royalties for every song it puts into its catalog. Whether or not they require payment for each play is beyond my knowledge of their arangement though. But karaoke djs are required to pay royalties, and that will probably not change soon.

However, you can't hold copyright on the notes coming out of my instrument in a live performance. This argument gets sticky though, when your *instrument* is capable of recording and playing back parts of performance.

If Britney is doing a Rolling Stones cover and her keyboard player programs his keyboard sequencer with some Stones sequences he downloaded from some website,.. is he in violation of something? My guess is probably, but now we are getting beyond my knowledge. I am not a lawyer, .. I'm a DJ :-)

Mensajes Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 12:49 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
One point i'd just like to add, if you look you'll notice their is a big difference between actual law, and that which is implemented practically, or in other words the law may say such and such, but this law is commonly not upheld rather 'most' DJ's without a license facing fines and punishment.

Mensajes Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 1:05 am
Ok, let me stress my original point again,
Why do we as citizens allow the entetainment industry to collect on a residual basis for work that is sold to the public, when we do not allow other professions the same courtesy.
For instance, my wife just got a fantastic boob job, do i need to pay the surgen a nickel every time I cop a feel, NO, why do I need to pay the original artist every time I play A disk that I bought and paid for?
The mechanioc that fixed my car now wants a nickel per mile for me using his work, my plumber has a meter on my toilet that charges by the flush, my electrician sends a bill each month based on my electric bill. why do we allow musicians the luxery of residual charges when thay are only doing a job just like the rest of us.
At my job I work about 60 hours a week, I have heard stories of musicians writing a song on a bus trip from NY to TN, why is there job more important then mine?
My belief is that Artist should be fairly compensated for there work, that means I buy my CDs not download them, but as for royalties after that, Bite me, I ain't paying.

Mensajes Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 5:38 am
Nice debate. I don't want to support record companies aswell, by paying fees for playing their songs. The same record companies that are paying radio DJ's to play their songs...
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163537,00.html

Mensajes Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 10:26 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Yes, that's right. Every radio pay like this. But if you want to play (in our country) songs in public, you have to pay it. But this is here happening very rarely, ok pro and well known djs have to do this, but others... =)

Dj Nikki

Mensajes Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 11:18 am
So, it is ok to pay for songs you've already paid for? And also ok for record companies to bribe radio DJ's for playing their artists songs because they are "good"?

Mensajes Sat 20 Aug 05 @ 11:37 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)