Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Z-Trip Last Night,... what a show!

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I finally got a chance to see DJ Z-Trip last night in Anaheim, Ca. I'm not gonna ruin the surprises and guest appearences, but I'll just say that was about the tightest live DJ set I've ever seen. I already knew Z-Trip was amazing from the very first time I heard him play on the radio (Power 106 in LA), but when I bought an original copy of Uneasy Listening, Vol 1 on the Internet,.. I knew I had to see this guy get down live.

The show lived up to the hype. His solo sets on two turntables were flat out amazing. If he comes to your town you must get tickets and check this guy out.

Ok, I'll give one little spoiler,.. his set where he mixes and scratches live video is about the sickest thing I've ever seen on a video screen. Imagine Z-Trip's style of scratch mixing, done with a Pioneer DJ DVD player. That was pretty damn awesome.

Mensajes Mon 26 Sep 05 @ 6:53 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Give us some more information, so he used Pioneer DJ DVD players or 1200's or both ?
Was it totally live or he uses some kind of secuencer for loops etc ? Does he played alone ?

Mensajes Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 2:48 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i didn't think he was the type to jump into some video stuff, i hardly know his style but i have seen him on videos, and i always thought he was in the old school gear.

Mensajes Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 5:26 am
Well I don't want to ruin the show too much for people who haven't seen it, but it was about coolest show ever. He mostly uses the same exact setup you see in his MTV special "How To Rock A Party by DJ Z-Trip", where he demonstrates some of his techniques on Technics. This is a shortened version of the 2nd disk special feature on the "Scratch" DVD (link at the bottom of this post).

He uses two technics 1200. Some kind of sampler thing that does does delays and loops for him, but he doesn't rely on it too heavily. I see him using it mostly to "loop out" of a track while he gets a record on the turntable, essientially allowing him to sound like he has 3 turntables going but he only has two. I couldn't see what kind of mixer he had, but I can see that he uses a standard crossfader style, rather than the hamster style. That means when the crossfader is moved to the left, you can hear the left turntable. When it's moved to the right, you can hear the right turntable. I've tried hamster style and I just can't get used to the reverse setup. Qbert rocks it hamster style though.

Anyway, I also see that, like me, he scratches with the right hand only. Even on the left table, so his arms crossover. Left hand is always on the crossfader, right hand is always on the platter. I can't get used to using my left hand on the platter so I don't even try any more. This also means that he can really only do crab scratches and advanced stuff when he is scratching on the right table.

Just like in the video too, he has a tap bpm counter that you can see him tapping every now and then. I think it's a Korg metronome with a tap function or something. Not sure.

He plays most of his set solo. With only him and his two turntables. He does one track where he cuts up some video with a scratch mix, alongside a live drummer. Then he does one quick turntable set with Goldenchild on his own set of Technics. But Goldenchild is pretty much just providing an accapella for Z-Trip to cut it up on top of. Still pretty sick though. 3 turntables and 2 guys. Then there is also a set where one of the dudes from Jurassic 5 comes out and raps over Z cuttin it up.

Hope I didn't ruin the show for you if you were planning on going.

Mensajes Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 7:10 pm
i wouldn't think telling someone about it would spoil anything. I am a right hand man only so my leftside is not as strong with the scratch as righthand. I find the closer the TT are the better the left. Imagine Z-trip with VDJ???? switching mp3's like a madman, videos, loops etc. makes me wanna get up on some TCV action now

Mensajes Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 9:16 pm
i wouldn't think telling someone about it would spoil anything. I am a right hand man only so my leftside is not as strong with the scratch as righthand. I find the closer the TT are the better the left. Imagine Z-trip with VDJ???? switching mp3's like a madman, videos, loops etc. makes me wanna get up on some TCV action now

Mensajes Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 9:16 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
geez i love timeouts....i was at work and it got busy, thats what i get...;)

Mensajes Tue 27 Sep 05 @ 9:22 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)