Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Warning: Desk Fans

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

So there I was, playing away.. when I started getting a bit hot, and thought "I know, I'll turn on that conviently placed table fan to cool me off" when BAM went VDJ...

Now VDJ was still working, but the music had paused... I went to close VDJ, but it asked me if i was sure, since the music was still playing.

I don't believe this is necessarily a fault with VDJ as such, but more to do with the fan sapping power from the mains supply as it is switched On/Off and an external powered HDD not getting enough to keep the music there, however, doesn't VDJ decode these files into the memory?

So I'm at a bit of a loss as to what caused the fault, but that seems like the only possible option.

This is a heads up to anyone gigging, and has a fan nearby, make sure you have a backup medium prepared.. in case this happens to you.

Mensajes Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 1:14 pm
Maybe it was something regarding the switch on pulse, that passed thru your power supply and was nmot filtered ...

Mensajes Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 1:21 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
If you have 'maxload' set to 'always' and/or if you know that the song was loaded into memory (based on on the song analysis bar,) then the problem wasn't with the hard drive. I have had complete power outages where VDJ kept playing because it's running on a laptop. I would say the problem is more likely to have been with some external piece of audio equipment, maybe the mixer, amp, EQ, etc? I guess it is possible that a sudden voltage drop or a spike (commonly associated with a primarily inductive load like a fan) could have caused an piece of AC powered equipment to temporarily go into a reset mode, or possibly blow a temporary thermal breaker. As you said, VDJ thought everything was going fine, so I would guess there was no software problem.

Mensajes Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 5:17 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Mensajes Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 6:40 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
ace
I am using a power brite strip. Do you think the Trip Lite is better? I was considering to change that's why I am asking.

Mensajes Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 6:51 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Bogart,

I was working with my TrippLite Regulator and Line Conditioner since 1993 and its fine. It's a very good option. You could use a LC2400 (floor type, not rack mount) or LS-1000 also. These products are very reliable. I think is better than powerbrite.

Mensajes Thu 13 Oct 05 @ 7:08 pm
i had to use a cd playing on loop (my backup) and the mixer and everything was working fine. but i did have to re-plug my Maya44 before it would play again properly.

also, I don't leave the battery in my laptop when its on AC power constantly.. so there wasn't any immediate power outage, since my laptop never turned off.

Mensajes Fri 14 Oct 05 @ 12:07 am
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
acw
Thanks for response. I gotta go check this out.

Mensajes Fri 14 Oct 05 @ 1:24 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Steve,

If you didn't have the battery in, then that could explain things. Power 'hiccups' can cause strange things to occur in a computer. I would suggest leaving the battery in even when attached to AC because it acts as a UPS for your computer, giving you an extra line of defense against power outages or hiccups.

Mensajes Fri 14 Oct 05 @ 4:04 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)