Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: Im a beginner

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I just got trial version of virtualdj. I want to try to be a dj.. .Where should i start? Give me some pointers plz

Mensajes Thu 20 Oct 05 @ 3:09 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
For me these are the steps...

The first step is analyze your music so you get right BPMs in them.

The second step is use ±8% pitch so you don't abuse on pitch when you are learning to mix.
Use 2 songs that have the same BPM and try to mix them in the best place for you.

The Third step is to get the difference between sync mix and beat mix. It's hard for me to explain; with practice you can tell the difference. The sync mix is the way that mixes have to be done. (Sorry I can explain this better).

The fourth step is to up BPMs slowly... try +2% in a 130BPM to mix with another of 132BPM. If you need to slow down the second one, you may use less than -2% to get that. Try autobpm to see how it works and how the 2 song matches each other... avoid to use -8% pitch in one song and +8% (or more) to sync 2 songs. If you have to do that, is because this songs don't match. Force to match them will sound awful in much of times, really.

Much DJs stay and hour in 132BPMs and the mixes sound without "soul" without life... Is better to go up and down (from 128 to 130 and then 132 and 135 after; things like that) let’s say; up from any beat in an hour and down the next hour...

Good Luck!

Mensajes Thu 20 Oct 05 @ 3:29 pm
More tips:

First of all, start by listening to the music you have... even though in these days its possible to have over 10GB in mp3, you should know in advance which songs are really good, what does the crowd expect, and the songs you like the most. Learn them. Spend some time making up playlists, so you know which songs match and build up a good mood (Sometimes you can have 2 great songs which just don't go together...).
Another important aspect is to work around with the cueing and beats in each song, so when you have to use them at a party, most of the work is already done for you ;)!

Second step, spend some more time playing with your equipment. Get used to the controls in VDJ, and make some shortcuts of your own (Some suggestions... I use the insert-delete-pgup-pgdn buttons for start and stop in both tables -- that makes it easier to mix with the other hand free to use effects or browse around)

Third step, try as hard as you can to get feedback on your mixes. Get someone to listen what you mix and give you advice if possible. If he's a DJ too, then he'll probably have some ideas in what you can improve and what you need to work on. If not, at least he can give you a hint on what he likes and what he does not.

Stay up to date in what's hot where you live. Go to clubs when you can, and try to remember the songs the crowd goes mad with.

Hope it helps!

spangle

Mensajes Thu 27 Oct 05 @ 6:09 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)