Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: Beginner Scratch Help....

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

mzackPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi Everyone........Im sure there are lots of you out there that can help out....I hope.

I recently purchased a pair of Denon S3500 CD Players and spent several weeks using VDJ to turn some 40+ songs, mostly hip hop, rap, r&b into "instrumentals".....awesome loop features and recording capablility with the program, not to mention everything else.......anyway, I also made some samples from various songs, looped them over and over and recorded them as well.

Now I have the music, and the basic understanding behind the art of scratching, I could use some hardware help, My rack mounted mixer is a Numark CM200USB....Not the best for scratching I know, but I will be getting a scratch mixer soon, but for now I assume it will do.....my questions are

1). Fader positioning, does the "main song" need to be heard across the entire fader, with the "sample" song mixed in half way?

2). What are the general rules for fader movement and or positioning....are there any, or is everyone different?

3). Onc eyou find a sample that sounds halfway decent, do you use that with every song, or do you switch it up to match the primary song?

Thanks!

Mensajes Thu 06 Apr 06 @ 11:05 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey mzack. I would recommend you seek out a good scratch video tutorial. This is one http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-MVP-902D--dj-videos--m-10_56_220.html

To answer some of your questions.

1) If your crossfader is adjustable you want the contour set to where the song comes in as quickly as possible with as little c/f mover as possible. Some mixers call it cut or fast. The main song should be heard all the time and sample should be mixed in at way less then half. On my mixer for instance it comes in at about 3mm's.
2) This is where the video will help you. There are actually names for the many different scratchs. chirps, baby scratch, forward scratch, reverse scratch,milatary scratch, transform scratch, etc.etc.
This is where the creativity comes in. A combination of all these is what makes a good sounding scratch.
3) Nope, you use many different samples. I actually use scratch records to mix with. they will have 15-20 samples layed out in "scratch sentences". One sample might say Fresh, then the next says "that was fresh", then the next says "Just feel it". That way you mix it up all the way through. some samples you scratch and others you simply let play.

And lastly get a good battle mixer if you want to get serious. Good luck

Mensajes Fri 07 Apr 06 @ 8:29 pm
Hey thanks djej.....I will deffinetly check it out.

I just purchased my 1200MK5's last night, cant wait for them to come in, I also got good slip mats and Ortofon Concord Battle/Scratch cartriges...

Now I need a good mixer, any suggestions, also where is a good place to pirchase records for scratching, I checked e-bay and did a google search, but with 10,000 to pick from its hard to search for what I would want.....

Thanks for all the tips and help :)

Mensajes Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 5:24 pm
MannasPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Get Qberts DIY Learn To Scratch Volume 1. It's in depth and has many different scratches. It teaches you the scratches and then gives you a chance to follow the patterns with him. Also I recommend getting Butter Rugs for slipmats. I had heard about them forever and didn't think they could be that big of a difference. Try them once and you'll be able to tell.

Mensajes Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 10:19 pm
Thanks.....I just ordered both tutorials, and I will look into the slip mats...cant wait for them to come!!

Question: Ortofon makes cartrages specific for TCV, they are red...are they worth getting, has anyone had any experience with these??

Mensajes Thu 13 Apr 06 @ 3:49 am
so about the sample that sounds decent:
I does not really matter if you use the same sample, but I think that if you mix it up it sounds better. For scratching check out http://djforums.com/tutorials/ and look at the scratching tutorials. They are good and free. Also with the fader. I have it set up so that the two tts are even in the middle but the farther over to one side you go the lower the level is for the other side.

Mensajes Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 3:17 am
otherHome userMember since 2006
hallo! Who can me teatch to mixing songs?
by other

Mensajes Thu 20 Apr 06 @ 3:06 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)