Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Wierd Skipping Problem with Video Mixing. - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

HI I have been using VDJ for a while now and have recenly bought a Laptop with specs that I felt would surpass the recommendations required:

Toshiba Satellite Pro P100 R00
1024mb RAM (planning to get another 1GB)
2 x 1.8Ghz Intel Duo CPU
100GB 7200 Hitachi 7K100 Hard Drive (changed from the original Toshiba)
Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA card
nVidia 7300 GO graphics card

Anyway, when playing back a single vob the CPU's sit at about 15% load, if I have two going at once (one in the background) the CPU's sit at about 25%. When I mix between the two with any type of fade or cut the CPU's peak to 40-60%, hardly working, the graphics card does not drop any frames or stutter, but just after the mix the new song's video will just stop! (The audio continues to play) It won't start again until I load a new song in the deck that has just finished playing. This happens whether I have the second screen activated as a window on the same screen or if I have it activated on the secondary monitor. Even at low resolutions the result is still the same. Any ideas anyone?
I have a clean version of windows, the latest drivers, DX9c, I have tried to adjust every video card option possible, but nothing can stop this phenomenom it seems. Any suggestions from anyone would help heaps. This doesn't seem to be a performance issue, none of the hardware appears to be working hard at all.

Mensajes Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 5:41 pm
Do your graphic card or soundcard share irqs?
At such high demanding tasks as video mixing, that can be an issue

Mensajes Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 5:48 pm
A good suggestion, thanks, I will check that out in my Bios.

Mensajes Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 5:59 pm
well, check windows hardware device manager... as irq sharing is controlled by Windows.

See in "hardware device" tab, at "System" (in Windows control pannel)

Mensajes Sat 29 Apr 06 @ 6:44 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
AussieDJ,

Unfortunatelly the N-Vidia 7300Go isn't the best choice for Video ( I know you couldn't do anything about it) it's a slow memory and slow video for live mixing. You could try to setup at the best posible your system and compensate the limitations of 7300Go. It's a very good laptop system, congratulations (but I whish you could get this with ATI X1400 and not with 7300Go) ;-)

The best Video Card for notebooks I have looked it's a ATI X1400. For desktop still are N-vidia 6600GT or 7600GT or 7800 or 7900 (GT or GTX; these last two).

Good Luck!

Mensajes Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 8:11 am
Oh dear... :-( I just wasted $4000 on the advice from a salesman the 7300 GO was an "awesome" graphics card for a laptop. Is there anyone out there at all that has gotten one of these working successfully with video mixing? Please someone, give me some hope. I steered away from a laptop with an ATI as the system requirements for VDJ say "1024x768 SVGA video (nvidia card strongly recomended)" I haven't been able to find the IRQ settings yet, but will continue to perserveer in the hope that it may improve things a bit.

Mensajes Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 9:25 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Mensajes Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 9:56 am
The soundcard and graphics card are on different IRQ's, I have tried reverting back to the inbuilt soundcard and the exact same thing happens. As long as I load a new video or any file into the nonplaying deck this thing works perfectly. The video plays all the way through without any lost frames or sound, but as I said before, if you cross from one to the other the new video hangs unless you load another file into the non playing deck. Surely there must be another reason for this. I thought all video cards these days would be able to handle 2D graphics.

Mensajes Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 1:47 pm
I am going to continue trying everything I can, I f I can solve this I may be able to help others. I might try installing a codec pack and using the Window Media Decoders.

Mensajes Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 1:50 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
This happens to me with only a few mpg's. Does it happen to all your videos or a select few? if so try re-encoding with tmpgenc, As i noticed re-encoding the problematic videos fixed it all for me. Now I hate to disagree about the 7300 not being strong enough but i had used a 9200se for 2 years before upgrading all my system 2 weeks ago . and the low model 9200se (at that it was a pci card) was working perfect with video's so how can a 7300 nvidia be any slower than that. True, ones laptop based and the other is for PC but Nvidia specs are Core 300mhz Memory 700mhz
ati 9200 is core 250 memory 400 ...so i doubt it's the card what im not sure of is if my old ati was 64bit or 128bit the came both ways ..but i do know the 7300 is only 64bit but i can name plenty of cards that run video's fine with 64bit memory interface.

Mensajes Sun 30 Apr 06 @ 10:41 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
before i'm mistunderstood... by no means am i saying that the 7300go is anywhere near as good as the x1400 we can all agree the x1400 will blow it away all im saying is that lower end cards are fine too so more than likely it's the files or codecs (Not to low end)

Mensajes Mon 01 May 06 @ 12:16 am
Yes...I had the same problem...had to re-encode mpegs as the original encoding was in a format that made my videos skip.

Mensajes Mon 01 May 06 @ 12:23 am
Thanks for the posts, I have followed a blog here (thanks Xeon) and followed every step to tune the PC to it's maximum. I can run two videos (with one decoding in the background) fine and the system is hardly working, but as soon as I mix the new video the picture hangs until I load a new file into the cue deck. Once this is done the video plays through in it's entirety without a fault. I am going to try a reformat and then re-install all my drivers and VDJ. I use the exact same files (they are all vobs) on my desktop mixing C and that works absolutely perfectly. This is occurring on any videoI play, reguardless of the format. I'm beginning to think this could be related to the 7300 sharing memory with the system. It is descried in the specs as a 256MB card with another 256MB resever, I'm guessing the extra 256MB comes from shared memory?

Mensajes Tue 02 May 06 @ 12:27 pm
I have done a fresh install of XP Pro then installed Service Pack 2 and all drivers. The problem is still there. I'm starting to suspect it could be related to the "Turbocache" feature of the 7300 Go card. I've been unable to find a way to turn it off.

Mensajes Fri 05 May 06 @ 5:39 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
The equivalent of "Turbocache" for ATI is HyperMemory (called sometimes HM) and i have an ATI x1600 on my laptop with 512MB of HyperMemory and it works very well. So maybe the Turbocache of NVidia is not well managed

Mensajes Mon 08 May 06 @ 12:17 am
Sounds like it could be the case. I may buy another 1024Mb of RAM and see if it makes a difference.

Mensajes Mon 08 May 06 @ 1:41 pm
How much RAM does your laptop have djcel?

Mensajes Mon 08 May 06 @ 2:30 pm
I have 1024MB:
2x ( 512MB DDR2-SDRAM PC2-4300 (266 MHz) )

and 1024MB in Virtual Memory (pagefile.sys)

Mensajes Mon 08 May 06 @ 9:41 pm
Changing the reactivity from Fast to Medium has made the problem almost non existant, but it still happens with about every 5 th transition or so.

Mensajes Fri 12 May 06 @ 1:27 am
@acw_dj
Asus corporation knows his job and is more specialized ;-)
For one 512MB of RAM, i have:

Information SPD EEPROM (DIMM0) :
Manufacturer : Nanya Technology
Type : DDR2-SDRAM PC2-4300 (266 MHz)
Format : SO-DIMM (67,6 x 3)
Size : 512 MB (0 rows, 2 banks)
Module Buffered : No
Module Registered : No
Width : 64-bit
Error Correction Capability : No
Max. Burst Length : 0
Refresh : Reduced (.5x)7.8 µs, Self Refresh