Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: OT. question about powered usb hubs

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Will a powered usb 2.0 hub work if it's power supply adaptor is not connected ?
I mean like a normal hub for the usb ports (power from the computer / switch to power supply -if connected)
Someone with a powered usb hub can tell.

Mensajes Wed 17 May 06 @ 6:52 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i sincerly doubt it if it's powered that means it doesnt take it's power from the pc at all so it need it's adapter all my usb peripherals that have an adapter will not work without it being hooked up that hub has a power adapter to protect ur pc from too many devices drawing power from it ( if all the hubs are taking)

Mensajes Wed 17 May 06 @ 7:15 pm
Yes, it will work as a port, but will draw it's power from the machine. This defeats the purpose. I got a powered hub, so my stuff would not draw any more power from the machine. My new video card wanted more power then my power supply had. The reviews of others, said it ran fine on their machines, with less power then I have. I can not change my power supply, so I got a powered port, to take some of the load off. So, If you have enough power, you don't need a powered usb port, it will work without the adapter.

Mensajes Wed 17 May 06 @ 8:08 pm
Ok, so a powered hub can operate like a normal hub, and usb devices take power from pc if the adapter is not connected right ?
But what happen if you plug the hub's power adapter while a usb device is already connected
(lets say a usb keyboard), will the power source switched automatically or is not recommended to do this "on the fly"...?

Any success story with a usb souncard (maya) and a hub ?
(as usb souncards usually don't work well with hubs...)

Mensajes Wed 17 May 06 @ 9:31 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
maya 44 works fine with powered hub.

it's not recommended to unplug power ftom powered hub ;) i did once when i had connected usb disk. It get bad sectors. don't know why...

Mensajes Wed 17 May 06 @ 9:42 pm
Good to know that...
Thanks for the answers i will try a usb hub tomorrow.

Mensajes Wed 17 May 06 @ 11:19 pm
Normal USB port provides 5V/500mA max the device should not take more than this. If you connect USB hub (powered) but all devices connected to it ,with the hub itself, take less that 500mA together it should work without power adapter.
At least it works for me.

Also I modified my DAC 2 so it does not have big aluminium cooler and stabilisator from 12 to 5 V. Now i use 5V from my USB (even if its some 700mA) my notebook handles it good, without any hub... So one less adapter to carry for me :-) I plan to make a flatter case for DAC.

Mensajes Wed 17 May 06 @ 11:54 pm
Interesting what you did to your dac, wait to see what i'm doing to mine...

Mensajes Thu 18 May 06 @ 1:18 am
when a box will be done I'll post pics in my blog

Mensajes Fri 19 May 06 @ 11:04 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)