Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: SCRATCHING STYLES

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Here's where it all starts to go wrong!! If I have any names or descriptions completely screwed up, please tell me, I don't want to seem like an arse!!

The baby scratch is probably the easiest scratch there is. This is the one that I CAN do!! It has an easy pattern to remember and it provides a great starting point for the beginner. This is the one that anyone who comes to you're house, sees your decks, and says "Can I have a go" will do almost immediately. It's just a forwards movement followed immediately by a backwards movement. It is important that the placement within the bar of tune is correct. It's the convention to do the full forward and backward cycle in the matter of one beat. Just think of it as starting the record, as though you are going to drop in the tune in a mix, but then after half a beat, pull it back. The speed that you do both of these actions with can affect the sound produced, as does choosing whether to go backwards or forwards first. This involves no cross-fader action, apart from dropping it in, then taking it back out again.

The scribble scratch is all but identical to the baby scratch, except that there are far more scratches. The technique is to tense the forearm and wrist (you may have a better way, but this is what I do) (Yes, I know two scratches!!) And then "stab" back and forth. I put that in inverts coz I can't think of a better way to describe it, the one I read says it's like having a bad case of the shakes. The other way of doing it though (if they are limber enough) is just to use your fingers to move the record back and forth through the needle. It's basically the same; all you're trying to do is improve the speed that you can scratch at. Obviously, through doing this, you want to make the amount of vinyl passing under the needle as small as possible. Just find the beat or sample you are scratching through, and keep it on that, try not too spill too far before or after the sample.

The tear involves a bit more skill than the scratches covered so far. Essentially the movement is the same as a baby scratch but is now split into three. The forward stroke stays the same, but the backwards s split into two; the first half being fast and the second being half the pace. Try to practice just the backward stroke first, so that you can get used to changing the tempo. (Any drummers out there would recognise this as a variation on the triple)

Mensajes Wed 14 Jun 06 @ 10:34 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)