Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Pitch fluctuates only when using Time Coded Vinyl

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

The pitch on the Virtual DJ software, keeps adjusting itself constantly during the playback on songs while using Time Coded Vinyl. It works fine if I use the software by itself using the Hercules DJ Console MK2. It’s only when I introduce Time Coded Vinyl, that this happens.

Mensajes Wed 26 Jul 06 @ 4:17 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
know problem :) but it is not so big problem because it doesn't change itself so much that you couldn't mix. You just can't play 2 songs at the same time more than 20 sec (in my case).

Mensajes Wed 26 Jul 06 @ 8:49 am
what turntables are you using?

Mensajes Wed 26 Jul 06 @ 3:50 pm
the reason for the pitch going up and down with TCV is because TTs have a wow & flutter which raises and slowers the pitch.

some TTs are worst then others although with the 1200s, TT500 and TTx you should only have around 0.1%. So if you have 2 TTs of the same brand and model you shouldn't have much trouble mixing 2 songs together.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Mensajes Wed 26 Jul 06 @ 4:53 pm
If you're unlucky (like myself, just coming back from pool and had a thrashing as my contact lenses fell out and I couldn't see what I was hitting argghghghghhgh! lol..) you may have timecoded vinyl where one side has been pressed very badly and adjusts randomly throughout playback by as much as 0.3%.

Other that that, if you are getting between +-0.1% it's acceptable because of wow and flutter although Virtual DJ tends to overestimate these fluctuations as the 1210s really only have 0.01% or something like that. Regardless, if it is in these limits you will have no problem because all belt/direct drive decks do this, if you can mix with normal vinyl you can mix with tcv as normal vinyl do the same. (This is something I'd like to see refined in the software however as playback at 45rpm is always 1% out so the algorithim of detecting codes doesn't seem to be spot on..)

Mensajes Wed 26 Jul 06 @ 7:52 pm
So I got the following from tech support:

"That's normal because your turntable isn't 100% precise."

I'm going to try again and see how much fluctuation there is. It just kinda freaked me out, cause I thought the sound was speeding up and slowing down, but that could just have been in my head due to seeing the pitch slider moving up and down.

I'm using 2 Technic MK2 turntables. They are hooked up to a Hercules MK2 DJ Console,..which is controlling the Virtual DJ software.

Not being able to play 2 songs at the same for more then 20 seconds (like Xeon mentions) kinda sucks. I'm going to have to play around with tit. I'm hoping it's not such a problem that it will cause any problems while DJing live. I'll report back on that. I plan to take the setup to my next gig this coming Friday.

DJ WhiteDVL said: "the reason for the pitch going up and down with TCV is because TTs have a wow & flutter which raises and slowers the pitch. "

What's TCV? ...also..."wow & flutter". I'm guessing this means the inaccuracies of the turntable?

Mensajes Thu 27 Jul 06 @ 2:11 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
unlucky for some, for me it is working perfect, songs stay in line for as long as i play them for

i had a probliem with grounding once and that messed up my pitch variance but now thats sorted it all perfect

Mensajes Thu 27 Jul 06 @ 3:38 am
TCV = Timecoded Vinyl / TCCD = Timecoded CD

Wow and flutter is the variation in speed which your turntable rotates at. So if you're playing at 33rpm, your 1210 turntable has 0.01% wow and flutter (0.01% increase and decrease in pitch, this cancels itself out), Technics quartz technology is still better than the rest of the competition in this respect.

Virtual DJ reports 0.1% but this is just how the software works (hopefully they'll update it in the future as 45rpm also doesn't seem to work), I've played two tracks for minutes and they've stayed in sync before, BUT my TCV only have one good side each, the other you cannot mix with at all, perhaps yours are the same.

Mensajes Thu 27 Jul 06 @ 3:42 am
Dj Xeo, so are you saying that on your software, you are not seeing the pitch indicator change/move while using time coded vinyl at all? It stays static at the pitch you have manually left it at?

Andrew. Thanks for the info. I'm still new to this whole DJing with software world.

Mensajes Thu 27 Jul 06 @ 4:12 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
no you wally i dont have the problems of songs moving out of alignment after 20 seconds that someone else mentioned

all turntables have wow and flutter but as long as the average speed is the same between 2 decks the song will not move out of alignment.

if your decks do not play at the same speed then A) your decks are messed up, wel duh, and B) your songs wont stay in time unless you correct the problem manualy

Mensajes Thu 27 Jul 06 @ 9:28 pm
@noirtech, do you have beatlock turned on when using TCV? I noticed with mine that it does sort of what you mentioned that way, so if you do try hitting the beatlock button twice for every song you need to adjust, once to find the settings and then the second time to turn it off. It works great for me, using the 500's I've kept a beatmix going for as long as a couple minutes without needing any finger guidance;^]

Mensajes Thu 27 Jul 06 @ 11:09 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
When I'm lazy I beatLOCK both VDJ turntables and that seems to hold them for a real long time. BeatLOCKing 1 doesn't do the same. I also use two shortcuts for nudge...man I am lazy...vs. nudging the turntables. But what everyone else has said is true, if both turntables variance (wow and flutter) is the same, which is why it's always been important to get the same TT's at the same time, I've always found it cancels it out.

Mensajes Thu 03 Aug 06 @ 9:29 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)