Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: VDJ random freeze

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Okay here's the deal-I just added more memory to 1024mb and vdj still freezes when loading songs. I've tried all the tweaking I can think of -but no use. I am using a Maxtor external drive with a usb 2 connection on my Acer laptop. The program will run fine and then will freeze randomly at some point when loading a new song. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks'
Jon

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 9:11 pm
Did the same happen BEFORE you added the ram?

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 9:23 pm
Yes-I thought that would help but apparently it didn't.

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 10:16 pm
Okey....

Try this :
Load from internal harddrive
Load from external harddrive

Is there a difference? Only freeze on external harddrive?`

And is so, does the external harddrive's USB port share IRQ with other intensive hardware?
And/or does it share its usb port with other usb drives?

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 10:33 pm
Yes- I did load it from internal hd without any problems that I could tell. I does seem to freeze only on external hd-The external hd does not share IRQ or share its usb port with any other drives-Thanks,
Jon

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 10:42 pm
okey... getting closer.. :)

So, its an external harddrive issue.

Is it powered? Or does it run on usb power?
If on usb power, try running it on a powered hub or power cord.

Something is interrupting.... Not sure what, since you say no irq share of the usb port, or sharing port with other hardware.

Also, try a different usb port, to see if the same occurs.

And, there might be some chipset driver conflict or bios issues too.
Try updating to the latest chipset drivers and bios drivers from your PC manufactor site.
And also make sure you have MS Windows latest updates.

To try if VDJ conflicts with it, try copying a large file from external drive, to internal drive, and see if it has a good constant speed and flow in the transfer.

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 11:09 pm
Thanks-I will try these options to see if it solves the problem-and yes it is a powered external hd.
Much appreciated,

Jon

Mensajes Wed 20 Sep 06 @ 11:19 pm
DJTroyPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I had a similar problem. I assume that it was an IRQ conflict... but I am no expert. I solved to problem with a PCMIA (???ABC...XYZ??? -whatever the flat slot is called.) USB 2 Card.

I also compressed my (video) files and now store them on my local HD. (Except when I need VOB)

TP

Mensajes Thu 21 Sep 06 @ 5:09 pm
So you say it is good to compress the files on the drive???

Mensajes Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 12:02 am
discobrian24 wrote :
So you say it is good to compress the files on the drive???

Compression on NTFS volumes is performed 16 blocks per 16 blocks. so if the algorithm can compress the chunk, you save space otherwise not. additionally, compressed chunks need additional computing to be read (because of the compression).

Trying to compress a compressed file, is generally useless, because you may save just a few bytes.

There is no performance enhancement in compressing files.

If you experience random crashes, it may be card/external hdd related: if you are using a usb 2.0 external hdd over non Usb 2.0 port, you may encounter some incompatibility (caused by the internal port implementation.)
You could try to proxy the hdd with a self powered usb 2.0 hub, or to upgrade the pc card, or downgrade the external hdd.

My working laptop, is very resource limited (4200rpm hdd and 512m ram) when using the external hdd, things got better after I changed the external hdd interface from 1.1 to 2.0.

Quote :

Something is interrupting.... Not sure what, since you say no irq share of the usb port, or sharing port with other hardware.

I think that it might be caused by sharing the IRQ (strange, but possible, especially on laptops) or by memory swapping (in case the hdd is slow)

hope it helps,

Pier

Mensajes Fri 22 Sep 06 @ 1:09 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)