Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: How Much Video Memory is REALLY Necessary?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Im ready to purchase a new latop tp do video and audio, and im wondering if 512 mb is overkill? will 256 mb be enough? now it might, 6 months from now im not sure what do you all think?

Mensajes Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 9:55 am
adrianhHome userMember since 2006
I might be misunderstanding your question as you say video memory, but with regards to system memory, these are my thoughts. Assuming you are running Windows XP, 512 MB would be the minimum I would take. Video and audio processing can use up a lot of resources so I would even push it up to 756 MB or 1 gig.

Mensajes Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 11:06 am
i'm sorry! I undrstand system memory and I'm looking at 2gigs to cover myself. I meant the amount of ram that is dedicated for the video card. 512 is the max to get in a laptop, but I wonder if that is overkill. sorry for the miscommunication!

Mensajes Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 11:49 am
adrianhHome userMember since 2006
Sorry man, I am not too clued up on video memory and video cards. Any advice I give on this subject will probably be far from the actual truth, so I would rather say nothing :) I actually wonder if you get 512 MB video cards for laptops, probably be damn exspensive if you do.

Mensajes Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 12:34 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
128 is plenty 256 is plenty 512 is overkill.

Mensajes Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 3:58 pm
mainedjPRO InfinityMember since 2006
How much ram is needed for a desktop computer video card?
Is a nvidia 7900 with 256 enough?
I just want to be able to mix videos without any lag at all and need to know if I have enough for it.
Don't have the card yet, but want to know what I need.

Mensajes Sat 21 Oct 06 @ 11:33 pm
so it seems 256 is fine, would I gain anything with 512? will it make any difference?

Mensajes Sun 22 Oct 06 @ 12:29 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
If the video card doesnt have at least 256bit memory interface with a nice high memory speed then 512mb ram for it is overkill and will only make a little if any difference
Keep in mind Video memory is great, but the card can only access that memory as fast as the memory bus

Mensajes Sun 22 Oct 06 @ 3:32 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Yes, it is better to have 256 ddr3 even on 128bit bus than 512mb on ddr2 with the same bus. The speed is more important than the amount, but the 128mb is really a minimum for video use.

Mensajes Sun 22 Oct 06 @ 7:17 am
ahhh, im beginning to see the light...thank you, and keep the advice comming!

Mensajes Sun 22 Oct 06 @ 8:26 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Hehe, will do that :)
Hope to see ya soon as a new member of VDJ freaks ;)

Mensajes Sun 22 Oct 06 @ 5:40 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)