Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: External hard drive??

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

dakotahHome userMember since 2006
Quick question...do you guys (and gals) recommend using an external hard drive to store your music on for use with this program??? I am running a new (less than 6 mos old) HP laptop with a 1.8 GHz chip, 512 KB L2 cache, with an 80 gig hard internal drive, and 512MB (soon to be upgraded to at least 1 gig) system memory. The only thing I use right now for mixing is the Hercules MK2.....would there be any latency issues with an external drive? Thanks

Mensajes Wed 15 Nov 06 @ 11:51 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
if you get an external drive you must get one witht he highest rpm as possible

or the files will lagg when loading

Mensajes Wed 15 Nov 06 @ 11:53 pm
using an external hdd is very key to optimum performance. not only can you store thousands of more songs, the cpu will work less trying to run vdj AND search, access, and load tracks. make sure your external is at least 7600 RPM. anything less and you are open to skips and lags. seagate makes a fabulous hdd that is highly durable against drops (i dropped mine down 25 concrete steps followed by sliding 10 feet in the NYC subway. it continues to work flawlessly!)

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 2:57 am
I too use external hhd but every once in a while the computer disconects them then I have unplug & plug them back in & then it works fine. Any suggestions on what I can do?I use maxtors 500gb w/16mb cache & 7200 rpm I'm also connecting them in through firewire.

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 4:09 am
maybe get a new firewire cable, try different hdd, try usb instead of firewire, try different computer. the idea is to troubleshoot the problem and narrow down the location of the issue. Maybe its a software or driver problem, though i know nothing about that type of troubleshooting.

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 9:12 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
skyfxl wrote :
if you get an external drive you must get one witht he highest rpm as possible

or the files will lagg when loading

for music is not so important to have fast HD, but for videos it could be problem.

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 9:59 am
true but the faster the better :)

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 11:49 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i konw that the fastest drives get failed more often, so get 7200 rpm and everything will be ok.

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 1:15 pm
dakotahHome userMember since 2006
Thanks for all the advice for a newbie!!! I mainly wanted to take the burden off of the laptop as you guys said.....that and I have a desktop with about 10 gigs of music that is making it all but useless.....

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 2:41 pm

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 4:15 pm
HoffmanPRO InfinityMember since 2006
@ Mario,

I had that problem when I used Firewire 800 to connect my external HD b/c I wanted speed.

Switched it to USB and never happened again, and it is working just as fast.

good luck.

B

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 06 @ 6:48 pm
I bought the Seagate last Monday from Currys - on the Wednesday, my Acer laptop decided to crash - the files couldn't be saved. I had phoned Comet and they put me through to Acer, who said I'd need to send it to their warehouse - in Northern Ireland. It'd take about three weeks, they said - so I took it somewhere local. They put in a new hard drive - but couldn't load new Windows software, as the CD drive couldn't read it. I part exchanged it for a Medion. Put the Seagate in - unfortunately, I have to retype in all the songs. I even put Virtual DJ ON the Seagate - if anything like that happens again, everything should be fine!

Mensajes Tue 21 Nov 06 @ 4:07 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)