Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Good Djing - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

deivyPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I don't know if it's only me, but I can find conversation about how to be a good dj, for does that are starting to use the product. For example me. I'm having problem of being a little more quickly with my mixes. I'm playing a song for the crowd, while I previewing another one in my headphone. to see how a can mix both of them together, but can't find the right match, likewise, I run out of time and can't blend the songs. So, i just play one song after the other one, just like a ROOKIE. and yes, when I find the right match, the tempo of one sond it's to fast. and when I bring the song to a normal tempo, the crowd notice it.
I need help, Thank you.

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 2:15 am
First of all, its ESSENTIAL when using a digital dj sofware, like vdj that the program has the right info/setting/beat for the song, to work right..

this includes:
- correct bpm
- correct alignment of cbg (computer based grid)

read more here :
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=5408

now, when the dj program got the right info to work with, the most "difficult" task lies ahead..DJ-ING that is... ;)
because its NOT like many would claim, plug and play, and vdj fixes all...

dj-ing is kinda like dancing, if you are not a great dancer, u need to practice and learn.. Rythm, timing, music sense.. thats the basics.

And then, analyzing!! :) Where does a mix fit? what type of mix to apply? that takes practise, and KNOWING your songs.. :)
Anyone will agree to this: - you make a LOT better mix when knowing the songs, where it breaks, change mood, vocals stop etc etc

VDJ is a (great) tool, but YOU are the DJ... !! ;) its not like getting a dj software will make u "king in a day"... it will not. For sure VDJ makes the beginner aproach a lot easier, but that dont make u a DJ.. U need to get great songs, and know them.. and practice on where it suits to mix them, and how (fade, break mix, beat mix etc)

Unfortunately, there is not a very active forum here when it comes to music, and mixing... would love to see that prosper and grow.. after all, our common interesst is not only VDJ, but also DJ-ING..

would love to see more take part in MUSIC DISCUSSION and MIX LESSON at the buttom of the VDJ forum site... to give good tips on music and mixing ;)

back to you ... lol.. it takes practice.. ;)

as a beginner practise:
(1) play song at desk 1
(2) find a song thats similar (beat, bpm and genre), and prelisten at deck2
(3) make a good loop (4 or 8 beats) at desk 2, non vocal loop
(4) adjust song1 and song2 to stay in same beat (align beat and cbg markers for both songs)
(5) move crossfader over towards song2 while slowly removing bass at song 1...
(6) fade song1 out, into loop at desk2
(7) release song 2 from looping, and play..

thats a good way for starting-practice.. :)

hope that helps... and good luck mixing ;)

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 2:36 am
Go to www.pssl.com and click on the BOOK/VIDEO option. You will find many videos on DJing. Although turntables are used primarily in these videos, you can still apply the same principles to your VDJ virtual turntables. However, the advice that dj-in-norway has given you is the most important—practice.

Here’s some additional practice tips:

1.Get five songs (make sure the first two songs sound good together because you are going to beat mix them).

2.Play the first song. When it gets to an instrumental part, loop it.

3.“Beatlock” and bring in the second song on the downbeat of the first song (you should have all your music pre-cued to a downbeat, which is easier to mix with). Let them play for at least 15 seconds and then fade out the first song.

4.Load the third song. When the second song has played for several minutes, use a break effect on it. As soon as it stops, start the third song. This is good for making transitions between fast and slow songs.

5.Load and “Beatlock” the fourth song. When the third song has played for several minutes, slam in (start) the fourth song on the instrumental downbeat of the third song and immediately fade out the third song. Make sure you place the crossfader in the center of your mixer before you slam in the song.

6.Load the fifth song. When the fourth song has played for several minutes, echo it out (which is applying an echo effect to part of a song and stopping the song, but the echo continues). As soon as the echo stops, start the fifth song. This is also good for making transitions between fast and slow songs.

You can use these transitions in any order you like. When you become comfortable using them, you can add others.

Hope this helps.

OO

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 3:35 am
deivy

I forgot one very important thing: record yourself when you practice. This allows you to hear your mixes and make any necessary changes. When you feel comfortable, let other people hear your mixes, and ask them for their honest opinions. Tell them that their honest opinions will not hurt your feels, but will help you become a better DJ. I've done this many times (even with other DJ's), and I still do it.

OO

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 3:58 am
Dj-in-norway: “would love to see more take part in MUSIC DISCUSSION and MIX LESSON at the buttom of the VDJ forum site... to give good tips on music and mixing”

Since you suggested it, why don’t you copy this entire thread and paste it in the forum that you’ve mentioned.

OO

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 4:05 am
good idea ;)
and great tips Double O

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 4:21 am
The following is a correction to my first post (the correction is indicated with brackets):

4.Load the third song. When the second song has played for several minutes, use a [brake] effect on it. As soon as it stops, start the third song. This is good for making transitions between fast and slow songs.

I didn’t mean for deivy to take a [break] while mixing.

OO

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 5:24 am
Thank you so much guys. I'll put your tips into practices tomorrow. Tonight I've went to a local club and learn the way the dj does his thing. And one of the things he kept telling me was that, were it says "Edit Comment" I should write tips.
For example, the many songs that can be mix with it and when to mix it. I replied to him saying "Go figure, that's the way I was doing it since all the time I was running out of time". So, what you guys thinks about it, it's that a good hint?
I'll let you guys know if I improved my djing techniques by using your tips. Once again, thank you for not being selfish in helping others.

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 7:23 am
sure.. its good to make notes..
but after a while u know the songs by heart, and dont need those notes anymore..
but for a start it can be good to have use the comment field for songs that it would be good to mix with.

as of making notes when to mix, when to start etc - you have cue points for that. Now, the WONDERFUL thing about cue-points in VDJ is that you can add a comment to each cue-point.

Say, cue-point 1 : intro loop (mark a spot for a good loop in the beginning)
cue-point 2 : vocal start... nice to have when fade mixing, and counters in VDJ will tell you how much time u have left for fading other song out before vocal start.
etc etc

make your own cue's and logics..
For example a cue telling u where it has a calmer instrumental area for mixing, or has a break in beats etc

Also, being such a great program, VDJ has another GREAT feature. There is a graph showing the song, and has a higher density where there is lots of sound, and lower where there are calmer areas or even quiet.. These 2 last are where u should mix (at least at start). They are areas of a song where the mood change, and thats perfect for beatmixing into a new song.. :)

now, my tips are generally for all kinds of music. But house, techno and trance is a lot easier to mix, and dont need as much "work" as maybe pop, rnb, hiphop etc
So, u might wanna start with the easier kinds of music at first. Find some good house tunes or any other songs that have a regular beat :) and move over to pop, hiphop etc when managing beatmix good, because those genres are a bit harder :)

but all in all, the key here is PRACTICE, and let your self have a feel of the rythm and build of the song :)

happy mixing, and just happy to reply... ;) after all, we share a common interest ;)

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 8:04 am
also.. I really advice you, and everybody else who have spent money on a dj program to read this post:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=5408

use 15-20 mins to really understand that post..

that made a difference in VDJ being a good dj program, to be A GREAT TOOL that expands my possibilities as a dj, and was the reason for buying this program :)

its a complete new world to fine tune and take all out of the program... and even for me as a working DJ it was kinda an "aha!" experience ... (Thanx Fruit!!!)

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 8:22 am
Deivy:

Some DJ’s only play one song after another—like on the radio. Sometimes you may not be able to mix when you want because you are getting a lot of request for songs that don’t flow with your mix. My point is that you are not “like a ROOKIE” because you don’t constantly mix when you are DJing.

Regarding improving your skills, going to a club and listening to how another DJ mixes is a good idea—if the DJ is good. However, once you learn enough of the basic principles of mixing, you should focus on developing a style that you feel comfortable with. The type of music that you are mixing will also determine how you mix. Therefore, if you are going clubbing to hear and learn from another DJ, make sure the type of music played at the club reflects what you like to mix.

The above examples that I gave you are only suggestions to help avoid what you mentioned in your first post, “I run out of time and can't blend the songs.” The easiest way to avoid this is to loop an instrumental part of the song your playing. This will give you all the time you need to bring in the next song. Also, your audience will think you mixed in an instrumental.

In closing, all the suggestions in the world will not help improve your DJing skills if you do not know how to use the software. So as dj-in-norway has already suggested, learn how to use the software (which is something I’m doing myself).

OO

b.t.w. Copy, paste, and save useful information that you find in the VDJ forums (like the information found at the link dj-in-norway provided).

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 10:06 am
Very well said (again) Double O... ;)

there are many ways of mixing, and even if you are a "radio-dj" who talk between songs, u are still a dj..

The most important focus is to play the right songs for the crowd and the place you are playing at.
And to build an atmosphere for the party.

I feel pretty sure about my beatmixing, but as Double O say, sometimes mixing by beat just dont "work", or dont even sound right. And u cant always play "your own" music all night, but have to play some request also..

So, some good dj-tricks are :
- ECHO OUT : when beatmixing dont work, dont seem right, hit the echo button, and the song gets a nice echo out fade effect, blending into the new song. It sounds great ;)
- Fade out : sometimes there is just to big of a tempo switch, or you want to change the tempo/style, its prefectly allowed to fade the song out, and start new at the end of fade.
- BREAK BEAT : or turntable stop is a better name for that effect. Emulates the way a turntable stops when hitting "stop". Sounds nice for the right use

These are good "panic buttons" ;) But u should be able to beatmix most kinda music. Not knowing how much of a beginner u are, its about PITCH-ing the song on deck2 to fit the beat of deck1. And when u hear the beats fit, go in the same tempo, nudge/skip them to be on "top of eachother". VDJ has a great WAVE display, where u can actually see if you are doing it right... When the 2 waves are on top of eachoter in perfect match over and over, you have a sync.. :)

maybe we should make a good "BEGINNER GUIDE" and "ADVANCED" guide at MIX LESSON forum, because there are comming lotsa new users around here, all from bed-room beginners to working pros :) would be nice to teach, learn and inspire eachother

dj in norway

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 4:23 pm
Gentlemans. I woke up this morning and went straight to my mixing room and it was great, I was just doind this all the time :-) I had a big smile on my face, I know that there's more practice and I need to keep progressing everyday. Again, thank you. I was wondering if virtual dj, perhaps, could make one day a video or a midi clip of how to used the product more efficiently. Yes, no doubt. Vdj has great Staff Team maybe the best, that make good forum. but their's people that learn by looking at the subject. What you guys think about it?

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 6:40 pm
great to hear your mixing was improved ;) nice

as of the video, its up to the team... :) but its a good idea

happy mixing ;)

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 6:45 pm
dj in norway: “maybe we should make a good 'BEGINNER GUIDE' and 'ADVANCED' guide at MIX LESSON forum, because there are comming lotsa new users around here, all from bed-room beginners to working pros :) would be nice to teach, learn and inspire eachother”

I’m all for it! Since I just bought the software, I could benefit from the two threads that you’ve suggested—deivy and many other new VDJ users could benefit too. Maybe you can start a
"GOOD BEGINNER’S GUIDE" thread in the Mix lessons forum. I’ll copy, edit, and paste my suggestions for this thread into your "GOOD BEGINNER’S GUIDE" thread. If you get many responses to this thread, you could then try the "GOOD ADVANCED GUIDE" thread.

OO

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 7:13 pm
Deivy: “I woke up this morning and went straight to my mixing room and it was great, I was just doind this all the time :-) I had a big smile on my face, I know that there's more practice and I need to keep progressing everyday."

That’s the right attitude to have—confidence in yourself is the first step to success.

Deivy: “I was wondering if virtual dj, perhaps, could make one day a video or a midi clip of how to used the product more efficiently.”

I think it’s an excellent idea!

OO

b.t.w. Try suggestion #5 that I gave you with fast songs.

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 7:33 pm
ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For the pro section then (house music):

Step 1: song selection.

When you go out to play do not take all your songs with you. This will only confuse you and take too much time to select song. So you need to work on a set.

From all the songs you like best select 75-150 songs (dependent on how long you play, you like best) This is your record case. Prepare your record case for each gig. Take out some old ones and put in new ones. Most of the records should be new or relatively new with a few classics (in a new remix or not). Leave all other songs at home. I repeat do not bring them physically with you.

Every song in your record case should at least have been mixed into a demo CD ones. Songs that you were unable to mix perfectly to whatever reason, remove or replace with another song. Also remove or replace songs that you remember gave you a hard time last gig.

have VDJ analyse all songs before you. Don't care whether VDJ display right BPM. It doesnt matter as you will adjust pitch anyway to make sure it runs at the right speed independent of the BPM is displayed by VDJ. If it goes too fast, slow it a bit down and vice versa. Same goes for cue points. You will set those on the fly.

step 2: first song.

Decide whether you take over from the previous DJ by continuing his style, tempo, energy etc., or brake the rythm and build up your own style, tempo, energy etc. In the first case tell the precious DJ what kind of last records he should play. Look at the dancefloor. If everybody's partying, get a party tune. If it's empty/slow look at the crowd. If it is busy but no party, play a song girls like. Get girls dancing, and guys will follow. If it's empty, just play a few downbeat songs till more people arrive.

Set BMP for the first song depending on style. Deep house 125 BPM, funky house 128/132 BPM, trance 140 BPM, hardstyle, 145/7 BPM. Remember that if you have to create a better party vibe you want some BPM left to increase during the set.

step 3: Next song.

If current song has a lot of lyrics take a song that has less or no lyrics. If a song has no lyrics it doesnt matter what follows. If crowd is still dead, continue downbeat, if crowd is starting to party, throw more (often well known) party songs at them, if they are fully into the party get you own secret tunes and make it the best party they ever had.

step 5: Cue setting

Move song to first beat you want to use, set cue.

step 6: gain setting

Set low, middle, high on your mixer back to most commonly used settings (yours). Look at VDJ gain. Set it to -2 or so. Put song at 70% where there is a lot of beat (most noisy part of the record). Look at the volume in the mixer and match it with the current record playing. You do not want to have difference in volumes that you did not chose to have.

step 7: pitch setting

Set pitch near pitch of current record playing. Let it play a while. Notice whether it is too slow or fast. Make micro adjustments until it is perfect (0.1 steps are good!).

step 8: beat mixing

This can be done after you are sure that pitch is perfect or while you are still pitching, just to see on your wave form how the best match looks. If pitch is not perfect, improve it. You can do this the hard way, or the easy way. Hard way is to get your cue point. Count you entry point (first beat of each 32 beats pattern), and let go. Easy way is to set VDJ to a 16 or 32 beat loop at start. It will give you a lot of time to mix.

When the pitch is perfect, and the beat match is perfect, wait for the right time. This is also a good time to make contact with your public. Look at them, see if they are having a good time, smile to the beautifull girls etc.

My style of mixing, the right time is about 1.30 min before the end. Often there is a small break here. Match your cue point with the first beat after the small break. Make sure the beat mix is perfect.

step 9: mixing

Finally we are going to mix! There are many styles, I'll show you mine if you show yours. What I do is, turn down high, middle, low to almost zero. While listingen to the music slowly raise the volume of the new song. At the same time decide whether to bring it in low (in case the previous song has a lot of high melody or lyrics) or more often high. If low than turn down a bit of bass of the previous record, if high turn down a bit of the high. This is gonna be your reference.

Put a little more volume in the new record, adding a bit of low in case of low and high in case of high. This should be done until you can very faintly hear the new song over the master sound system.

Now you are set to go. Decrease the volume of the previous song a notch. Increase the volume of the new song a notch also high and low as needed.

If you hear any deviation of a perfect match, componsate: nudge the new record a bit forward or backward, or even pitch very little up or down. It must be perfect.

If its perfect increase more volume of the new song, and drop high/low of the previous song, until you have the situation that you have:

previous song. high and low almost gone, volume a notch down. Middle as it was or even a bit more in case you don't hear it well.

new song: high and low almost set as you would do normally, middle almost gone. Full volume.

Now you hear the melody/lyrics of the previous song with the bass and high of the next song.

Finally all you have to do is lower the volume of the previous song, while at the same time increase the middle of the new song.

Nota bene:

If anything bad happens decide whether you have enough time for a retry. In that case drop all volume on the new song and rinse and repeat. Or there is no time. In that case drop all volume of the previous song, increase volume of new song and slowly increase high middle and low. Better a fast mix than a faulty mix. The public will never know.

Also sometimes the songs really have a great moment where a transition would be perfect. Use that immedeately!

Step 10: Rinse and repeat till the end.

Get the public more and more extatic. Ask the next DJ what kind of style he'll play and play the last 2-3 records more towards that style. Take a bit of energy out of it, so the new DJ can instantly shine if he wants to. Get to the club owner to get paid.

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 9:38 pm
All the suggestions in this thread are GOOD! Consequently, I hope dj in norway is working on the "GOOD BEGINNER’S GUIDE" thread in the Mix Lessons forum.

OO

b.t.w. We should save any other suggestions for the "GOOD BEGINNER’S GUIDE" thread.

Mensajes Sat 31 Jul 04 @ 10:39 pm
I've revised and posted my suggestions in the “Pro mixing” thread started by Proto; it's located in the Mix lessons forum.

OO

Mensajes Sun 01 Aug 04 @ 9:29 am
Proto. I appreciate your hints, I put them into practice for the last couple of days and I did maked my girl dance her butt off, not just because I was mixing her favorite tracks, but because she noticed something different in my style, which it was good, atlease thats what she said and what I was hoping for. I was mixing Britney Spear "slave" with the beat of Kelly, "Milkshake" It was tight. Man, have you mixed does two together?
When I think that I'm comfortable enough with my style, I'll make a party and all of you will be invited.
Thanks.

Mensajes Mon 02 Aug 04 @ 8:25 am
95%