Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Very slow performance all of a sudden...

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
With VirtualDJ, generally things run very well, but sometimes performance gets very sluggish, and I can't figure out why. This is the case with more than one computer too...

Loading songs is very slow, and the CPU is just throttled the whole time. Visualizations get so slow that I have to turn them off, and in some cases, video alltogether.

On my laptop, text slows the system down a whole bunch as well... how could a TEXT overlay plugin slow down the computer so much?

I'm getting really frustrated with this scenario and want things to run smoother again, but I can't figure it out. I keep my system pretty clean, but in one case a slowdown seemed to occur after installing a new soundcard to get rid of crackling, but then VDJ ran much slower and constantly at 100% CPU. Removing other sound drivers didn't seem to help.

I don't think it's entirely relevant, but I could post system specs if it would be useful. It's just interesting that I'm having similar problems on two machines, both of which use a lot of video.

I already tried reinstalling VDJ, and it didn't help. Probably a windows reinstall would help, but that's a very time consuming process to reinstall EVERYTHING again.

On my laptop, this kind of thing happened before, then went away for a while, but on a desktop I use at another bar (where I reinstalled the new soundcard), it doesn't seem to want to go away either.

I could stand to upgrade to a shint new Core 2 Duo, but I'm worried that VDJ has issues that will cause it to be slow no matter how fast the hardware is. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Mensajes Fri 15 Dec 06 @ 8:44 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Mensajes Fri 15 Dec 06 @ 10:23 am
Man, things worked flawlessly again tonight. Weird... I don't know why it's behaving so inconsistently.

Mensajes Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 1:20 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Computers are like babies ;-)

Mensajes Sat 16 Dec 06 @ 2:51 pm
John CPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Keep in mind processors slow down when overheating. Processors overheat operating at 100% for even a short period of time.

Are you monitoring your system's temperature? (by zones?).

What are you are using for a video card? I say it should be at least 256 dedicated. Many laptops (some home systems too) share ram or buffer when operating video. This dramatically impacts everything when you run video. Slows the processor and casues over heating that slows the processor even more.

Heat could be the variable too that changes and allows for better operations some of the time. Consider more cooling and even a special cooler for the laptop to set on.

Maybe this helps?

Mensajes Mon 18 Dec 06 @ 8:18 pm
Given the conditions and what I've experienced, I doubt anything like what is suggested would be the culprit. Other applications don't have performance issues... only VDJ. I even tried a reinstall of VDJ, and it didn't fix anything. I suspect a full reinstall of Windows would help.

The funny thing is that I have experienced this problem on two completely different machines... it starts out working really well, then slows down to a bloody crawl so bad that I can't even buffer the song fast enough to play it.

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 4:32 am
Is the machine dedicated to Virtual, or have you got other apps in the background? Have you optimised windows performance? Even having the net connected can cause problems! System restore could be kicking the c*** out of your machine if it decides now would be a really good moment to backup, with no consideration to you or what you are doing...

Mykel

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 5:01 am
If your using the sonique plugin, that could pull the gutz out of your PC. If it happend to me, I would shut down plugins one by one, stop the players, then the software its self, just keep closing things until the CPU load drops, last closed programme it the culprit.

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 5:32 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)