Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Put 4.2 to the test, finally !!

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

After months of sticking with v3.4 and not having any problems,
I finally decided to install 4.2r1 on a show computer and put it to the test.
I was very lucky it was a slow night in a small VFW private club.

On automix for most of the night (as i have done flawlessly with 3.4)
some songs would not load and the next one in the playlist would jump in its place instead.

Also, some songs would start half way thru the song. We had to stand by that computer for 4 hours and babysit it nervously. If this was at a wedding or a new years eve party I would ghave been a real flop.

The computer I use to use for ver3.4 was a 512 mB ram 1.8 Gz motherboard with an integrated video card,(Be mindful that I was playing straight music, no videos or anything complicated, no mixing, no nothing).
basic integrated sound card, and 30 gB internal HD.

The new computer with 4.2r1 installed is a 1.8Gz dual core, 80 GB internal HD, no other programs installed, just VDJ, 1 GB ram, using a USB sound card that worked well with 3.4. basically, a Dell E1505 is what it is?

Simply put, ver.4.2r1 didn't work any near the job that v3.4 was doing on weaker machines?

I know I have seen these type of complaints before when 4.0 first came out, but I thought 4.1 and 4.2 was supposed to clear all that up?

So do I have a setting wrong or something? I am 3/4 the way over to the left on the performance bar in the settings menu. Both overclock and safe mode are checked as recommended previously.

Now what do i do?

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 7:40 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 10:25 am

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 12:01 pm

Automix in 4.x might still need some work, there has been issues reported like "jumping half way into song"

Please know its going to be adressed, but atomix is not really the core feature of VDJ, so working on a new timecode engine was focus for 4.2

But dev team is aware that a few uses VDJ for automixing too, and will look into the feature.

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 4:58 pm
cstoll: I thought safe mode needed to be checked in laptops.(Anyway, if not, what is it really used for, just curious).

This is a new fairly high-end laptop, wouldn't it already have all the newest window components installed?

Also, I am on my PC at home and have downloaded an exe file called: "dxwebsetup".
Is this the file to install to the show laptop that was having the problem?

One more question: Why does a fairly high end machine need to have lower performance settings and things unchecked? This being the case, how can an average machine or even another fairly high end machine USE the high quality settings, and if they can't, then what good would they be to anyone?

Sorry about all the questions, but really curious as a newbie to 4.0 vs 3.4.

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 5:38 pm

SAFE MODE : a safer way of running VDJ on SLOW Pc's to prevent crackles (Most of you dont need this feature, turn it off)

OVERCLOCK : will give a performance boost on SOME laptops, but should be tested (results may vary from latop to laptop), and this feature have NO function on desktops

dxwebsetup: Its the install file for Microsoft DirectX

Why does one need lower performance setting?

- Because SOME of the features (like super hi quality master tempo, and scratch) needs the latest PC's that have dual core. Its made for the future, and many of us can not take advantage of this features .. yet. But keep in mind that more and more are getting new dual core pc's, so thats why some features take advantage of just that.

And to give a perspective. Virtual DJ 3.4 is preset to run on low performance setting, fast master tempo, etc. So VDJ 4 is really just a user performance setting where you can find your OWN optimal setting, ranging from 3.4 performance, to super high Hi-Fi 4.x performance (need fast PC for that)

Hope that helps ;)

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 6:21 pm
okay great, thanx for the helpful info,
however, That was in fact my real question.

I have a pretty fast dual core and I can only run v.2r1 on the lowest setting?
Again why would that be?

Another thing with v4.2?
Why do some of the songs show up with an orance circle and a start inside after I load up the first song, thjis didn't happen in 3.4. Does this orange circle/star thing mean something. All my songs are completely scanned and analyzed in a 500 gB ext. HD?

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 11:33 pm

Having a dual core you should be able to run on high settings...

Although some depends on your SOUNDCARD, what latency it can tackle...

The orange circle means its out of BPM range from the current song playing (not good to mix it).
The bpm range can be set in registry.. (or using DJ Cels registry tool)

Mensajes Sat 30 Dec 06 @ 11:38 pm
I see. Is this new in 4.2, and should I have hundreds of them! It nevr appeared in 3.4 at all, not even once.

Mensajes Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 8:33 am
"Having a dual core you should be able to run on high settings...

Although some depends on your SOUNDCARD, what latency it can tackle..."

Yes that's my point, but I cannot, I need to know if it is due to a 30 dollar usb ext. soundcard,??

Mensajes Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 8:34 am
yourtPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I run it on a cheap XP1800+ pro or something fully integrated mobo with 512MB. Runs fine, in "3.4 settings" of course, but hasslefree.
I use a Hercules DJ Console MKII. And for the laptop: I have seen it running on a Dell laptop (first release of VDJ 4), model 6100, pentium M, with its integrated soundcard. Seemed to run fine too.

Mensajes Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 10:47 am

@bryantpb

Set the highest settings, THEN increase latency until in runs well

And , your 30 bucks soundcard is the reason for that yes;)

It probably need a high audio buffer.

Mensajes Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 2:25 pm
Thanks, gotcha.
Got it working okay now.
happy New Year pal.

Mensajes Sun 31 Dec 06 @ 10:00 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)