Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: can you help a newbie?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi everyone.

I'm a newbie here, and i'm looking for some advice from you more experienced users.

I'm currently using VDJ at work on a clubs system and i've decided i want to buy my own laptop and copy of the software. Buying the software is the easy part, but i need some help with a suitable laptop.

I have about £800 - £900 to spend and i'm sure of some of the specs i need but unsure about others.

I'm hoping to get a machine with 256mb dedicated graphics card. I already have an external hard drive and soundcard.

One of the biggest things i'm having trouble with is processors. I think i want a dual core processor, but there seems to be a lot of different types. I'm not sure if its easier for you guys to tell me what i should get or what i should avoid.
Not only am i seeing processor speeds being quoted (ie. 1.6GHz, 2.0GHz etc, i'm seeing stuff like model T7200 and model T5500 etc)

I'm hoping to find a machine with 1GB ram that can be upgraded to 2MB at later date.

There is no recommeded or minimum spec i can see on this site for dual core processors, so i'm a bit confused as to what i should buy.

Also can anyone explain the difference between shared and dynamic graphics?

Ive been looking at these machines (listed below) what are your thoughtd, or can anyone reccommend something better? (I really don't want a Dell machine though)

HEWLETT PACKARD PAVILION DV9233
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=374482&tab=specification#spec

TOSHIBA A100-998
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=362182&tab=specification#spec

HEWLETT PACKARD PAVILION DV9292
http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=374490&tab=specification#spec

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this!

Mensajes Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 12:09 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi and welcome...:o)

Firstly, what I think you should do is consider what you want to use VDJ for. Your PC specs will be derived from your requirements of the program.

Eg: If you're only using VDJ for audio mixing, then you don't 'need' to go all out on a machine - although of course you can if you want.. If you're looking at using it for video mixing, then yeah, a 256mb dedicated graphics card will be great...but pretty expensive.

Why not build a really excellent machine for the £800-£900 that can be upgraded whenever you want, rather than buying a (perhaps nowadays) 'run of the mill' laptop for the same price that will undoubtedly prove very expensive to update in the future???

Anyway, I'd then look around the forums for topics like these which have been discussed for countless hours.

Once you have decided what kind of system you want, I'd do a quick search for and read some threads like this one and make a decision on your processor.

As a general rule, 1gb of RAM is pretty standard. If you can afford it, the more the merrier as far as that goes.

Also, it has been reported that external harddrives maybe aren't as good as once thought for the program...due to the resources that they take up. Again though, topics like these have been discussed in length on the Boards. Just do a quick search for 'external hard drive' and you'll be inundated with threads.

As for graphics - basically shared (integrated) graphics uses the system CPU to process stuff. This isn't a problem if you're doing tiny wee tasks like reading internet posts on a chat board, but when you're playing the up to date games and using software like VDJ, it can take alot out of your system, as the CPU needs to load music and videos. Then it needs to keep playing the track you're already playing, or searching for the song you're wanting up next, or whatever. The point is that with dedicated graphics with a good GPU and memory will be able to handle all the graphical stuff itself while the CPU gets to do the rest of the stuff...like keeping your set flowing beautifully!!!

So there you go. From here on in, it's your call. I would seriously suggest scouring the forums for ideas of setups and stuff. Especially check for posts in the last few weeks...as the introduction of Vista from Microsoft has posed a few issues for some users...and the whole thing with dual core processors seems to be taking a hit in the boards as well. Videos seem to be a hot topic just now too...in fact...it's Virtual DJ...they're all hot topics!!!

Let us know how you get on. Good luck...and keep spinnin'...(",)

P

Mensajes Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 1:33 pm
GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi, thanks for the info and the advice.

I've decided to spend a little more money and i'm currently looking at an HEWLETT PACKARD PAVILION DV9288 for £1099.

The spec for this machine seems good for the money, so i thought i'd post it here and see if anyone can give it a thumbs up (or down) or bring anything negative about it to my attention.

Processor type Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5600
• 1.83 GHz , Level 2 cache 2 MB
• Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Integrated Wireless LAN

Standard memory 2048 MB

Internal hard disk drive 320 GB (2 x 160 GB)

Hard disk controller SATA Hard Disk Drive

Hard disk drive speed 5400 rpm

Optical drive type Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer

External I/O ports 1 VGA port; 1 HDMI port; 4 USB 2.0 ports; 1 IEEE-1394; 1 RJ 11 modem connector; 1 RJ 45 Ethernet connector; S-video TV out; Remote control infrared port (Remote Control optional); 2 Headphones-out one w/ SPDIF Digital Audio, 1 Microphone-in port; Cable docking connector

Video adapter NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7600
Video RAM 512 MB dedicated video memory

Those are the basics - full spec here
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/21675-38187-38191-38191-38191-12936524-78126925.html?jumpid=oc_R1002_UKENC-001_HP%20Pavilion%20dv9288ea%20Notebook%20PC&lang=en&cc=uk

Any thoughts on this brand and the spec would be appreciated. Please remember that i'm at my maximum budget at this price, so i can't afford to spend anymore.

Gary

Mensajes Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 7:35 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Nice laptop, I'll agree...:o)

Hard disk drive speed may be an issue as it's only 5400rpm...especially if you have 320gb's of it to search through.

Check out this Video Card ranking thread for a good indication of video cards - although with 512mb memory, it'll probably run like a dream. I'm pretty sure the 7600 falls into the mid-high end range of cards.

I don't use a laptop so I'm not really one to comment I'm afraid. I'm sure this will be fine as long as you keep it nice and clean. I'm sure you'll hear from other laptop users before they call time on this thread.

In all honesty though, I'd build my own. With that much money to spend, you could get a rocket ship made for VDJ!!! However, the choice is completely yours.

Laptop is expensive to upgrade (although you hopefully won't have to do that for a while)
Desktop is not so expensive and cheaper to build in the first place.

Perhaps other users will offer some opinions.

Again, good luck with your decision. Whatever you do, it'll be well worth it.

(",)

P

Mensajes Mon 12 Feb 07 @ 11:19 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)