Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: WMA vs. MP3 - Sound vs Space???

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Guys

Can anyone give me some good quality information about WMA’s and MP3’s? I always thought mp3’s were smaller than wma’s, as the wma carries more hidden junk with it than the mp3 does, however, having ripped my collection as wma originally and having spent so many hours transferring them to mp3, I’ve noticed that every single mp3 is at least double the size of the original wma.

The wma’s have been converted to mp3 using 320kbps and a sample rate of 44100hz (I think). I had originally reserved 75 gigs of HDD space for music, and my 8500 strong collection of wma’s only took up about half of this. However, with the same amount of tracks on an mp3 basis, I’ve realised today that I only have about 10% of the space left!!!

Does anyone have any ideas what the ‘ideal’ format should be? Both from a sound point of view and a storage point of view? My HDD is filling up rapidly and while I don’t mind spending £95 for a 400gb ide drive, it’s the hassle of transferring everything over from one drive to the other that’s putting me off. Also, there’s the thing with my machine taking yet another hard drive when I don’t have any IDE sockets that are not in use.

I’m wondering if it’s due to the fact that I’ve converted them from wma as opposed to having ripped them originally as mp3. I now use Windows Media Player to rip my discs to mp3, but that is only said to use about 144mb to make a cd, so I don't imagine that will take up too much space.

Thanks guys…any help appreciated.

Oh yeah, and if anyone has a good sized hard drive (at least 250gb which is at least 7200rpm) they are looking to part with for a reasonable price, please let me know.

Cheers…and and keep spinnin…(“,)

P

Mensajes Mon 19 Feb 07 @ 4:57 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
dont use wma they take longer to load , and sound crap.

Mensajes Mon 19 Feb 07 @ 4:59 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ok...yes, they take longer to load, but i knew that anyway. That's why i converted them to MP3. I'm pretty sure they don't sound crap, in fact, it's been just about proven that depending on the sample rate/kbps used, wma is one of the better formats to use.

However, sound quality is not my issue. My problem is space requirements. Tonight I'm going to rip an album as an mp3 using WMP and see if it's the same size as my converted version. I'll post my results.

Keep them answers coming!!!

(",)

P

Mensajes Mon 19 Feb 07 @ 5:26 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
wma at best 192 kbs mp3 at best 360kbs :)

Mensajes Mon 19 Feb 07 @ 6:37 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)