Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Idiot In Club at weekend! - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Was playing in a club in Dublin on Friday and Saturday just gone. A guy came up an asked if I'd play Crazy by Gnarls Barkely, so I said yeh, I'll try and get it in in the next few songs (nearing the end of a hip-hop and RnB set). He then proceeded to abuse me and go on how his "mate" (did I mentioned the chap was a bit of a Scumbag) ownes the club and how I'd "better f*ucken play it now or it would be the last time I ever played their!" LOL!

SAME guy on the Saturday night came up and started going on again an then said "Awwww is that Virtual DJ" And I said yes it is. He then started going on that I should get the new one becasue its so much better! I have 4.2! I told his that it was the new one and he was insisting that he had version 4.5 and how he got it off imewire and how it was so much better and the pictures of the decks were so much bigger! So I said and is it really colour full aswell and he said yeh. So I told him that was something around version 3 and it was the old one and that he should go and buy the real one as its miles better. He then started getting really aggressive and going kinda nuts and shouting at me and stuff!! Not a bouncer to been seen anywhere!! I just turned my back an went back to mixing an he EVENTUALLY went away, but kept giving me dodgy looks all night!!

Anyone else out there with similar experiences?

Rory

Mensajes Mon 26 Feb 07 @ 4:13 pm
I get something similar but mostly from girls. Especially the Pretty ones. For some reason they seem to think that in the Club I work and most clubs I think we have a format that I as a DJ have to follow. We play rock music and lots of it. Actually a 60-40 split; on week-ends it's 60% dance/pop and 40% rock, During the week it's flipped.

Back to my point, I usually get the Pretty ones comeing to the back of the dj booth when rock music is playing and the dance floor is moving and bitch me out for daring to play rock music. Most calm down once I tell them that this is our format and that's the way it is and some just stand there and Literally scream at me. I warn them to back off and if that doesn't work I warn them to back off or get kicked out, and failing that I turn around and grab my old freind the microphone.

"Doorman to the DJ Booth"

This is a handy phrase to learn when working in a nightclub, either to remove drunk demanding women, or aggressive boneheaded numbskulls like the one you had to deal with.

It's very unfortunate that all of us no matter where in the world have the same problems. It crosses social position, gender, even race. When people get drunk they are a pain in the ass.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Mensajes Mon 26 Feb 07 @ 4:28 pm
CulpritPRO InfinityMember since 2007
At our club, we usually have a crew of regular dj's, which most of the time include their girlfriends. Usually when someone wants to come bother us, they have to get through at least two people, and when girls start bitching, the girlfriends take care of them for us :P

Mensajes Mon 26 Feb 07 @ 5:21 pm
Rory05 wrote :
He then proceeded to abuse me and go on how his "mate" (did I mentioned the chap was a bit of a Scumbag) ownes the club and how I'd "better f*ucken play it now or it would be the last time I ever played their!" LOL!

Rory

Yeah had this happen to me.. I would actually get the owner at that time and ask him to shut his friend up as he is annoying me. If the owner does not back me I would gladly end my set then and there.. Seeing how I know who I work for/with I would never have to make it come to that and the *ss would be requested to take a walk..

Mensajes Mon 26 Feb 07 @ 6:27 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Luckily I don't have any direct contact with customers :), the club has staff for that ;).

Mensajes Mon 26 Feb 07 @ 9:49 pm
i had that problem once. manager came up and decided he wanted to be testosteroni about me not playing a song that i knew wouldnt just empty the floor but would probably have emptied the building. handed the headphones to the manager and said "you wanna do this job?"

we have a new manager now...

Mensajes Tue 27 Feb 07 @ 3:13 pm
Testosteroni - very nice with mushrooms, onions and Dolmio sauce! Had some last night!

I haven't done club work - but, in the pre-Virtual DJ-days, I'd often be given CDs to play and they'd say "Play Track 4", then, halfway through, find they meant Track 5!

I've just come hotfoot from the year 2380 - I won't tell you what the actual world is like - but I was doing a gig using Version 98.2 (or was it 92.8 - those food pills do have an adverse effect on a time traveller!) - either way, it is far in advance - it doesn't crash, drag, slow down, kick you off, play horrible - even the computer has a HUGE memory for a handheld - only about the size of a pocket calculator - and the tiny speakers, despite their minuscule size, (about the size of those little earphones you used to get with transistor radios) are amazingly powerful - eat your heart out, Peavey! Even at 48 kbps, it sounds better than any recording made at 320 kbps today.

I tried to bring it all back with me - but they crumbled into dust as I passed through the time portal!

Mensajes Tue 27 Feb 07 @ 3:48 pm
arthurvasey wrote :
I haven't done club work - but, in the pre-Virtual DJ-days, I'd often be given CDs to play and they'd say "Play Track 4", then, halfway through, find they meant Track 5!

LOL! I hate when that happens.

It's never happened to me at a club, but it's happened many times at mobile gigs like wedding and debutant balls.

arthurvasey wrote :
I've just come hotfoot from the year 2380 - I won't tell you what the actual world is like - but I was doing a gig using Version 98.2 (or was it 92.8 - those food pills do have an adverse effect on a time traveller!) - either way, it is far in advance - it doesn't crash, drag, slow down, kick you off, play horrible - even the computer has a HUGE memory for a handheld - only about the size of a pocket calculator - and the tiny speakers, despite their minuscule size, (about the size of those little earphones you used to get with transistor radios) are amazingly powerful - eat your heart out, Peavey! Even at 48 kbps, it sounds better than any recording made at 320 kbps today.

Sounds like VDJ is only available for Mac in the future and other Apple products are being used in conjunction with them if they're so stable, quality controlled and high performance. ;)

arthurvasey wrote :
I tried to bring it all back with me - but they crumbled into dust as I passed through the time portal!

Try again, we'll wait here. =)

VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

Mensajes Tue 27 Feb 07 @ 4:06 pm
Rem1xHome userMember since 2006
lol at vdj v4.5

smh

Mensajes Tue 27 Feb 07 @ 5:15 pm
lol that happened to my first (and only one so far) gig. i was playing hard dance etc, and there was a guy standing by me the whole time saying "play some death metal, play some death metal, play some death metal..." like WTF??? its a dance party. people arent gonna be suddenly breaking into a mosh and knocking each other out lol. i just told him to piss off; im the DJ.

it was my martial arts dance party, so The Annoyer, myself, and everyone else there were bouncers lol... if something went down, even between me and The Annoyer there would be trouble. i was pretty safe :)

dunno what i will do next time haha

DJ Turbo

Mensajes Wed 28 Feb 07 @ 12:49 am
DME-CEOPRO InfinityMember since 2006
WoW!! Ha Ha Ha.... I knew I was not having all the fun to myself, just had a guy a week or so ago come to the club and say hey you got my song? umm.... What's your song? Prince "Purple Rain", yeah we got it but can not play it right now (the format for this venue is Hip-hop/R&B/Reggae/Reggaeton) not the memorable 80's and on top of that it was only like 9:45p.m. and we've just opened. Long story short, next thing I know this guy SWINGS on one of my partners and runs out the club!! That punk @##%$^$!!!! and as someone mentioned earlier securtiy/bouncer's are no where to be found!! so I guess I'll leave it at this, BE CAREFUL because we've all seen them and go ahead and make a sample and drop it into VDJ that says "SECURITY TO THE BOOTH" :) It will save time reaching for the MIC

Mensajes Wed 28 Feb 07 @ 2:00 am
Holy crap - I could write a book about idiots at my club. I do a lot of Country / Rock type work, so we get a house full of rednecks & hillbillies. My favorite was the dude that would tip his server $20 if I played a particular song within, oh... say 3 songs. If I didn't get to it, she lost her tip. And since I won't take tips from these girls (I get paid enuff) - I would only do it if it made sense.

So sure enough one night I hear that I played his song 1 too late. The server comes screaming at me that I am costing her money. At this point I am done playing cute little games. About an hour later, another server comes up and says "hey, this guy says he will give me $20 if you.... ". So I hand her a 20 and tell her to give him the message that he can go F himself. Needless to say, he was pissed.

Security to the booth!

I love my job.

Mensajes Wed 28 Feb 07 @ 4:23 am
ashlarPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Don't you just love alcohol abusing patrons? hehe

The first thing that came to my mind after reading this post was the dance club scene in the video for Prodigy - Smack my bitch up! How funny was that?! It's about 1:50 into the song...

Mensajes Wed 28 Feb 07 @ 11:43 am
I'm writing this with a very sore shoulder right now.
We had a "exciting" night At the bar tonight.

5 fights , Almost Bar-room Brawls.

Some bikers showed up, Some sub-urban white boy wannabe (dare I say it?) no, I won't, I'll just say idoits showed up.

Like putting a match to gasoline.

Four doormen and one DJ to try and stop a 40 man Brawl.

No Staff were hurt.
I hate Nights like that.

Oh yes My button popped off my Shirt no so happy about that.

Mensajes Thu 01 Mar 07 @ 11:40 am
i just hit' em so hard it rearranges their dna

Mensajes Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 8:16 am
Sometimes politeness or mild abuse doesn't work. Some people will only respond to threats and bad language. To some that way of talking is normal and they often won't take it as an insult.

I always have my Mic on a stand. The stand is a useful tool to keep people away from equipment. I've had a couple of brawls where I just stood in front of my setup letting people get the message that they should stay away from my gear or feel the Mic stand, but not giving any eye contact. Seemed to work on those occasions at least.

Mensajes Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 10:40 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
My SM58 still has a large dent in the top where it was once used in self defense!

Mensajes Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 6:53 pm
Good solid mics those. Bet it still works great.

Mensajes Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 7:34 pm
you can get kinda a hollow percussive effect.......i mean hitting the idiot's head w/ the 58

Mensajes Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 10:09 pm
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Ahhh, the good ol' 58! The Industry Standard in much more then just audio!! hehe

Rory

Mensajes Fri 02 Mar 07 @ 10:09 pm
91%