Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: Hip hop mixing for dance clubs

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Mensajes Sun 25 Mar 07 @ 5:06 am
Good video demonstration. However, you should consider reposting the video in a different thread called Mixing Tutorial Videos. This would allow other DJs to post video tutorials in the same thread. Your title "Hip hop mixing for dance clubs" is too specific for it to be a sticky. Consequently, reposting the video with a general title would make it easier for it to become a sticky. When I get the time, I'll try to make a mixing tutorial video.

OO

Mensajes Sun 25 Mar 07 @ 3:23 pm
To MODS:

Double O has a good Idea - rename this thread "Mixing Tutortials - Video demo's"

So that others who do mixing demo's can add vids - or discuss posted vids.

Also - think this thread rates a sticky?

Mensajes Mon 26 Mar 07 @ 1:34 am
YekiniHome userMember since 2007
Dj Marcel, thanx your video tutorial is cool... its a excellent. can you help me out here? i just want to know if is it possible to mix 3 or 4 tracks at the same time on virtual dj pro. if it can, how do i do it. any suggestions will be very helpful.

Thanx in advance
Yekini

Mensajes Wed 28 Mar 07 @ 3:11 am
Yekini wrote :
Dj Marcel, thanx your video tutorial is cool... its a excellent. can you help me out here? i just want to know if is it possible to mix 3 or 4 tracks at the same time on virtual dj pro. if it can, how do i do it. any suggestions will be very helpful.

Thanx in advance
Yekini

It is possible but it IS a Pain in the ass.

Without using VDJ in multi-skin mode - and having enough soundcard outputs to use 4 decks mixing more than 2 songs is a right pain in the ass.

Here is how I do it:

load up song #1 in a deck
song # 2 in the other deck

Now as you are mixing and you want to mix song #2 into song #3; but still want loop from song #1 to play.

Here's where it gets tricky:

- Make sure all AUTOMATED FUCTIONS ARE TURNED OFF especially beatmatch/lock
- Use the sampler to record your loop on the fly, by timing your pressing of the loop record button to the start of your loop.

Then LISTEN to the recorded loop through your head phones and the sampler channel of your 3 channel mixer (Did I mention you need a 3 channel mixer?)

- Make sure your sample of song#1 is in time with song #2
- After you have ensured your mix is still in time - Do Not adjust it.
- Stop song #1 from playing, load up song #3 in to the deck and mix it in.

The reason that you need to have the beatlock disabled is that when you load song #3 into the deck VDJ will adjust the tempo of your sample to match the newly loaded song.
This would throw your mix off instantly.

It's not easy but it can be done.

It's a simple matter in multi-skin mode - because you have 4 decks

Or if you were a Pro-user you could download a multi-instance skin that has 4 players in it.

Personally I would like to see a 3 deck skin so that I would not have to change soundcards or use two monitors to multi-instance.

Good luck.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub.

PS.

I've only used the method described above maybe 4-5 times live at my Nightclub. Most of the time I have Simpsons / Family Guy / Duckman samples loaded into it. Oh yeah and Cheech Martin's rant from FROM DUSK TILL DAWN is loaded in there as well.

Mensajes Wed 28 Mar 07 @ 4:13 am

Thanks DJ Marcel, that’s cool. Even though it’s pretty difficult doing it, I think am going to keep my hands on it.

I have been practicing with vdj for a couple of months now and so far, I can beat mix tracks, match the BPM / TEMPO of the tracks and other few tricks.

But here is the difficult part is:

If you have observed something when you match a track with a BPM / TEMPO of say 157.1 in Deck 1 to another track with a BPM / TEMPO of say 93.6 in Deck 2, in which the Deck 2 is still playing out. After matching the BPM / TEMPO of 157.1 to 93.6, the beat with the 157.1 either turns to play too fast or too slow with the current track’s beats and this automatically doesn’t sound pretty well with the track you are mixing into.

Now my question is:

Can there be any way that I can manually adjust / edit the beat grid of say 157.1 and it would still play at the same speed with the current track’s beat without any problems even if l loop the manually adjusted / edited track beat.

I would be grateful if you could help me out here too. Once again, thanks in advance for your support.

Yekini

Mensajes Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 5:40 am
TO: DJ Marcel

While i'm at it....

The main thing i need help with is setting up a beat grid. I've imported/analyzed my tracks, and set the BPM for each track in it's File Tag.

I see the section where beat grids are set up, but i'm lost as how to set the beat marker (or loop points or any of that stuff)

help?

Yekini

Mensajes Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 5:52 am
I'm hoping that I understand the question correctly. But at the top of your skin there is a button that will allow you to edit / manually change BPM to correctly show the beat. This will get you closest to the beat. Then you have to change you pitch to match deck A. Just a clue: If your matching a beat of 93 ( sounds like a hip hip / RnB ), be careful of pitching anything beyond 5% as it may sound unnatural.

Mensajes Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 5:56 am
Strictly mixing by BPM, your range is too great.

Think of it as mathmatics.

157/93 = 1.6

This would be too uneven to mix together using my examples.

Do this instead, It works better for me the way I mix

157/2 = 78.5

So to evenly mix on such a broad range pick a song that is EXACTLY half the tempo range.

That will allow you to mix evenly, unfortunatly it's not very practical, sounds neat when done right - but it works.

Mensajes Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 6:52 am
One more thing - Try scanning the song once with house/techno BPM engine - and if it's some outragous figure like 159.3 and it's a bump and grind hip-hop tune, Try scanning it with the Any Music BPM engine.

Make sure you upgrade before the end of your demo. Otherwise all this effort will have been wasted.

Mensajes Thu 29 Mar 07 @ 7:02 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)