Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Tema: A few words about the limiter - Page: 3

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

cjoteroPRO InfinityMember since 2009
we need the limiter disable asap i have not used vdi 8 sence i did the update because is trigger as soon i load a track I'm using vdj 7

Mensajes Thu 09 Jul 15 @ 5:35 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
cjotero wrote :
we need the limiter disable asap i have not used vdi 8 sence i did the update because is trigger as soon i load a track I'm using vdj 7

The limiter is not going to be disabled.
If you change your gain settings you will stay out of the limiter.

Mensajes Thu 09 Jul 15 @ 6:28 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Set "autogain" to "auto" and "zeroDB" to 0.75

Mensajes Fri 10 Jul 15 @ 3:24 am
Fellas you will not win this case................This is just another example of them thinking more like "Programmers" then "DJ's"

I just use an external mixer setup and problem is solved, this is one reason Ill never switch to a full midi controller.

Mensajes Sat 11 Jul 15 @ 8:17 am
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Fellas you will not win this case................This is just another example of them thinking more like "Programmers" then "DJ's"

I just use an external mixer setup and problem is solved, this is one reason Ill never switch to a full midi controller.

I disagree.
Without the limiters, running past where they kick in on the levels, you clip your sound card.
Gain structure is the issue here. I run an external mixer, same issue is there. If the gain is to high on the track, with the faders up, you clip the channel. For all the years I've been using PC's to supply audio, I've had the volume on the card set at ~75%. It's not like analog gear where you aim for zero. Digital gear you aim to never hit 0.

I think the limiters are a good think. I hope more DJ's learn to stay out of the red.

Mensajes Sat 11 Jul 15 @ 9:25 am
Im NEVER in the red............ I don't have this problem.

Mensajes Sat 11 Jul 15 @ 10:38 pm
To be clear, that wasn't an accusation or finger pointing.
I hope you didn't think that was directed at you.
I'm just talking about the average grouping that I see.

In the past, passive amps and equipment didn't not have limiters. Things failed due to mistakes or missuse.
Then the saying would be the equipment doesn't last, the quality is not good, instead of people owning up and saying they were orverdriving it.
I feel the same is true with the software. Saying the sound quality is bad over realizing that the equipment is again being overdriven. With the limiter, you have a visual indication along with clipping protection.

Mensajes Sat 11 Jul 15 @ 11:39 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Im NEVER in the red............ I don't have this problem.

If you are never in the red, then what issue do you have with the limiter? It will also never activate then.

Mensajes Sun 12 Jul 15 @ 2:14 am
It seems whenever I've tried using a full midi controller I have to always go back and reset the gain.

It's almost like I have a hotter signal coming out for some reason. I have it set to 0.75 but even then I find myself turning things down and this ONLY when I use a full on midi controller (DDJ SX)........

Even when using just a laptop the signal is much hotter then any other program I use.

Mensajes Sun 12 Jul 15 @ 10:18 am
beatbreaker1 wrote :
It seems whenever I've tried using a full midi controller I have to always go back and reset the gain.

It's almost like I have a hotter signal coming out for some reason.

Are you hitting the limiter or do you just have a hotter output?

Mensajes Sun 12 Jul 15 @ 8:37 pm
Some tracks it hits the limiter and the output is always hotter.

Mensajes Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 7:53 pm
I have not done a level comparison between Traktor and VDJ yet. I will see if I can try that this week.
I have my autogain at -3Db. I have rescanned all of my library. I have not seen myself hit the limiter yet.
I do know with any switch of software, I need to adjust the gain on my hardware mixer. However, once my levels are set, the tracks are level between songs with VDJ.
I also use a controller with an internal sound card occasionaly. I have not noticed the level jumping around with that either.

Mensajes Mon 13 Jul 15 @ 8:44 pm
Hmm I do switch softwares a lot, maybe that's the problem........ I'll do some checking when I get back from vacation 👍

Mensajes Tue 14 Jul 15 @ 7:44 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
One case I see is when you load and play a song not scanned before. VirtualDJ could have a higher gain during the scan and won't adapt/change it at the end of the scan (as the song is playing so VDJ assumes you know what you do).

Or it can be an import of the old VDJ 7 database and VDJ8 doesn't have the new "VDJ8 gain".

Mensajes Wed 15 Jul 15 @ 4:17 pm
GianVJPRO InfinityMember since 2012
So, if database come from VDJ7, it's preferable to do a full re-scan of entire library to ensure the gain it's correct for VDJ8 ?

Mensajes Thu 16 Jul 15 @ 2:38 am
Yes, that was advised some time ago but isn't commonly known it seems.

Mensajes Thu 16 Jul 15 @ 3:35 am
Yeah I've rescanned my machine a bunch of times and I don't even have VDJ 7 on my macbook. I deleted 7 since it would no longer be getting updates I didn't see the point with sticking with old software 😀

I'll be back home in a few days and I'm gonna try a few things out because I think it might be the fact I use different software at times.

Mensajes Thu 16 Jul 15 @ 8:05 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Yes, that was advised some time ago but isn't commonly known it seems.

"..Isn't commonly known it seems.", because in another thread someone write:

"You don't have to reanalyse your entire tracks anymore."

and

"No rescan is required after changing the autoGain setting or even after changing the zeroDB setting, you just may have to reload already loaded songs for the new effects to take effect."

(limiter
_going_nuts_on_VDJ8.html?page=2)" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/202036/VirtualDJ_8_bug-report_Forum/limiter_going_nuts_on_VDJ8.html?page=2)

Mensajes Thu 23 Jul 15 @ 3:49 am
Well that has changed because when V8 was released it was definitely advised to rescan to re-analyze the gain and beat grid anchors. Then there was something wrong with the beat grid scan on earlier versions and we had to do it all over again!

Mensajes Thu 23 Jul 15 @ 3:55 am
kradcliffe wrote :
Well that has changed because when V8 was released it was definitely advised to rescan to re-analyze the gain and beat grid anchors. Then there was something wrong with the beat grid scan on earlier versions and we had to do it all over again!

The above thread it's recent... and Adion (not a novice user) write those advise (on 05 july 2015); so I don't suprise if "isn't commonly known it seems"

Did you know the beat grid scan is now correct on last official build (2352) ?

Mensajes Thu 23 Jul 15 @ 4:31 am
91%