Forum: General Discussion

Discussions about VirtualDJ, and about DJing in general

If you need extended support, contact our Support Team.
(*) The moderators hold the rights to move or modify posts in order to keep the discussions clear or to facilitate the search.
Tema: Newbie question about RCA cables
ThelemaPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hello friends.

I have a gig in a couple of weeks, and since this isn't something I do very often, I don't want to get there and not know everything I should know. My first question is about sound setup:

- I mix at home with my controller, and I plug my headphones to the controller and the controller to my computer through USB. No speakers, just headphones. My current sound settings are Master - Mixtrack Pro II - channels 1 & 2 / headphones - Mixtrack Pro II - channels 3 & 4. Output: Speaker + headphones; Card: Numark Mixtrack Pro II. In order to play live, do these settings change? I'll probably be connecting my controller to the gig's main mixer with RCA cables, which brings me to my second question:

- What are the proper cables to do this? A few years ago I had a few gigs at a club and I basically had an RCA cable connecting my controller to the mixer, Left & Right (white and red cable). Will this be enough or is something else more appropriate?

Thanks!

Mensajes Wed 17 May 17 @ 11:59 pm
Thelema wrote :
I mix at home with my controller, and I plug my headphones to the controller and the controller to my computer through USB. No speakers, just headphones. My current sound settings are Master - Mixtrack Pro II - channels 1 & 2 / headphones - Mixtrack Pro II - channels 3 & 4. Output: Speaker + headphones; Card: Numark Mixtrack Pro II. In order to play live, do these settings change?

It looks like you currently send the finished "master mix" to your headphones, which leaves you without a headphone "preview" option (sometimes called curing, sometimes called PFL)
As in: You get the finished mix in your headphones?
Is that true?

In that case you'll probably want to change that. If you click the button under "card" in the audio options that says Mixtrack Pro II, this should automatically get set "the normal way"
But if you have never previewed in headphones before, I recommend you attach someting to master put, like a small pc speaker, and practice having different output in headphones and master out beforehand

Thelema wrote :
What are the proper cables to do this? A few years ago I had a few gigs at a club and I basically had an RCA cable connecting my controller to the mixer, Left & Right (white and red cable). Will this be enough or is something else more appropriate?

If the distance is short that will be fine

Mensajes Thu 18 May 17 @ 9:08 am
Thanks for the reply.

No, I get PFL (I just turn the knob and select the deck I want to pre-listen).

Mensajes Thu 18 May 17 @ 12:49 pm
" I'll probably be connecting my controller to the gig's main mixer with RCA cables "

i wouldn't just assume you can connect RCA cables to the house mixer, id find out previously if you need XLR, TRS or RCA. Nothing worse than getting there and finding out you have the wrong cables.

If this is a hobby for you call or go there and find out what mixer the house uses. If this is something you do on the regular carrying the the most common cables (from my experience, XLR to TRS and XLR to XLR male/female)

monoprice.com has every cable you can shake a stick at with very good prices to boot.

Mensajes Fri 19 May 17 @ 6:42 am
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that!

Mensajes Sat 20 May 17 @ 1:40 am