Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: AutoGain Doesn't Remember - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi,
I'm using the new VirtualDJ 2018.
I have set the AutoGain setting to remember+auto (and also tried just the "remember" option),
but however I change the gain for a specific song, it reverts back to the original setting (which is also rather random) once I reload the song.

I have tried re-analyzing the BPM of songs but it didn't help.
It only worked when I manually edited the database.xml file and added/changed the attribute Gain in the Infos tag (but then it would get stuck on the new value I've set).
I should mention I have upgraded from VDJ 7 and the change didn't go smoothly (for example, I have lost all the automix cue points and had to recreate them all).

Can someone please help?
I cannot use the automix feature when the songs' volume is completely random between each song.

Mensajes Tue 28 Aug 18 @ 6:46 am
Do you have read-only on your music? Right click a song in explorer and see if it's set to read-only.

Mensajes Tue 28 Aug 18 @ 1:33 pm
The gain setting gets stored in the VDJ database, not the individual music files.

Mensajes Tue 28 Aug 18 @ 5:23 pm
burnyabad wrote :
Do you have read-only on your music? Right click a song in explorer and see if it's set to read-only.

As mentioned before, the gain setting is stored in the database.xml file, under <Infos Gain="value">
Anyhow, the files aren't read-only.

Any other suggestions what seems to be the problem?.. =\

Mensajes Tue 28 Aug 18 @ 8:13 pm
I have tested and when the gain is manually adjusted with the auto+remember setting it adds a "gain" value to the DB.

Default gain:

After changing setting and gain:

Mensajes Tue 28 Aug 18 @ 8:26 pm
make sure the database is not read only "database.xml"

controllerTakeOverMode = Pickup ..... this is so if you adjusted the gain for a track it does not effect the next track without you manually moving it.

Mensajes Tue 28 Aug 18 @ 8:33 pm
Thank you for all your replies.

When manually removing the Gain attribute from the database.xml for that specific song, it will allow me to set the gain only once before it stops remembering.
The DB is not read only.

I have noticed another weird pattern.
If I change the gain on deck 1, it will remember it.
If I change the gain on deck 2, it will not remember it.
However, if I'm on automix - it will NEVER remember the gain I've set, no matter what deck the automix is on.

Any ideas?.. :FACEPALM:

Mensajes Tue 28 Aug 18 @ 8:35 pm
Best wait for one of the dev team to comment.

Mensajes Tue 28 Aug 18 @ 9:59 pm
@NaSh567: Just for your information: I tested the same on my testsystem.
If I change the gain on deck 1, it will remember it.
If I change the gain on deck 2, it will not remember it.
However, if I'm on automix - it will NEVER remember the gain I've set, no matter what deck the automix is on.

I can confirm the behavior! it´s a feature or a bug ;-)

Mensajes Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 9:30 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Just tried the following:
-Set autoGain to auto+remember
-Load track in deck 2
-Set gain to max
-Close VDJ
-Open VDJ again
-Load the same track
-gain is set to max again

-Put track after a couple of other tracks in automix
-Start automix
-When automix plays the specific track, gain is set to max again

So seems to be working fine here.

Also, out of curiosity, which 2 songs did you try that did not have similar volume when autoGain was set to just auto?

Mensajes Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 9:52 am
@Adion:
-------------------
Just tried the following:
-Set autoGain to auto+remember
-Load track in deck 2

------------------
Note the difference: try the same, but load a track for your test in deck 1 (one) !!!
it worked by my first test with deck 2 by me too, but not with deck 1!

But now big surprise:

I tried it now serveral times on both decks.
-Load
-Change Gain
-Unload (with rightclick or with load another song over it)
-Load again!

The first serveral times it worked not.
But now it worked also on deck 1!!!???
Before two times it work also not on deck 2!?!?

I´m confused....

Perhaps it depends on the cache? or how fast i change it or unload it?
I can´t reproduce this phänomen now!!!

My third test:

The next test was in automixmode (not dualmode!!):
-Load first song
-start automixmode
-change gain to 1db
-go to 2. song
-change gain to 2db
-go to 3. song
-change gain to 3db
-go to 4. song
etc...

If you put now the 2. song for example after the 4. song: the gain will be by 0db instead of 2db
also if you put the 2. song on the other deck: 0db

Also in Automix (not dualmode):
If you put the 6. song on the other deck, change the gain to 6db on the other deck, this 6. song will have after the 5. song the 6db!

Ergo: i think if the automixmodus is activated, it doesn´t save changes of the gain in this deck!?

Mensajes Wed 29 Aug 18 @ 11:45 am
Any comments from the developers regarding this?
Is there a way to file a bug to make sure they notice this?

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 9:39 am
Tried on left deck as well, tried with unloading and reloading, tried with automix, but all the time it was working for me.

Do you have a controller connected during your tests?
If so, what is controllerTakeOverMode set to, and if you check controllers tab in options, do you happen to see the GAIN knob appearing in the recent actions even without touching it?

Also, still curious about the second question I asked earlier, for which 2 songs is the volume not the same when autoGain is set to just auto?

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 9:52 am
djnoaiPRO (legacy)Member since 2017
@Adion:
i had no controller during the tests!
To your 2. question: it depends by me on no special songs,

Can you also reproduce my third test, with songs which haven´t still changed the gain on a separate deck and where you change the gain whilst they are playing in the automixmode. And then move/play this song a second time later, after changing the gain? (it sounds complicated ;-) )

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 12:04 pm
Yes, also works fine.

Quote :
To your 2. question: it depends by me on no special songs,

Not sure I understand what that means. Since you want to change gain (and remember the changes) there must be some specific songs for which autogain is not working for you?

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 12:07 pm
djnoaiPRO (legacy)Member since 2017
I tested it just for fun because of the question of NaSh567

So there is no special song.
Every song in test where i changed the gain whilst the song is playing in automixmode doesn´t save this manual gainchange.

For my own i don´t use this in practice until now. So i don´t bother any more.

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 12:45 pm
Just a workflow question ..... automix is there to be left unattended, so why would you change the gain during it running?

Also, doesn't autogain correct the levels properly itself?

Personally I think autogain works pretty well in it's normal state, so I'm not sure why you would have to manually adjust the gain on certain tracks?

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 2:19 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Just a workflow question ..... automix is there to be left unattended, so why would you change the gain during it running?

Also, doesn't autogain correct the levels properly itself?

Personally I think autogain works pretty well in it's normal state, so I'm not sure why you would have to manually adjust the gain on certain tracks?

I wish automix can be left unattended, but the volume differences between each track are ridiculous sometimes and I can't really understand why although autogain is on.
So if I put something on automix, I would have to go back each and every song almost to fix the volume levels.

This might be the bigger issue here actually.

But since I've conceded to this issue a long time ago, I worked through all the material that should be played on automix and manually corrected all the volumes.
And now this has to be done again since I've moved to VDJ 2018, and it became a big hassle since I need to do this manually on deck 2 without using automix, instead during play in the party where this automix feature is needed.

Just a short explanation - I'm a dance instructor, so when the social party begins the automix does the work while I dance with the students.
I keep changing the playlist during the evening, and if a song starts playing with the wrong volume level, I can go back to the VDJ and fix it once, but now it won't stick anymore.

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 4:02 pm
Have you tried running the tracks through mp3gain?

Maybe you need to start again with a clean database so everything will be equal with no manual adjustment.

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 4:50 pm
You could always use a plugin to make the output more constant.

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 4:53 pm
65%