Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: SoundCloud with VirtualDJ - Page: 2

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

zzzonedotnet wrote :
I would like to able to record my own personal mixes

....but the music is not "your own", regardless of whether you play in public.

Copyrighted music is (in most cases) not allowed to be recorded, duplicated, modified, broadcast, and so on, without the appropriate permissions/authorization.

That applies even if you bought the music. You don't own the music when you buy it, you only buy the right to listen to it.

Mensajes Tue 30 Apr 19 @ 6:25 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
In most countries you are allowed to record/duplicate/remix/etc... for personal use though.

Mensajes Tue 30 Apr 19 @ 7:05 pm

Mensajes Tue 30 Apr 19 @ 7:41 pm
I just got the word from VDJ Tech Support: VDJ limits the number of tracks to approximately 200.

For me, this feature is a bust:

1. If I wanted to use it effectively, I would have to UNlike 900 tracks or so on Soundcloud.
2. I could play mixes to myself (and maybe my family?), but I can't enjoy my own mixes and learn from mistakes by being able to listen to the mixes except in real time while I'm making them. I did find a workaround or two: an analog recording of the output of my high-end soundcard which can be redigitized (but that's a lot of trouble.)

I think the feature set is too limited for the cost of a Soundcloud Go+ account, currently.

As streamed music is more widely licensed (and musicians are paid). this issue will be moot in the future. Perhaps most DJs will use online music in 3-5 years, just like they are using files now. The writing is on the wall, for me.

It would also be helpful for someone to publish the limitations of SoundCloud and Deezer online integration into VDJ, instead of forcing users to get info by trial and expensive error.

Mensajes Tue 30 Apr 19 @ 8:12 pm
There should not be a limit to the number of tracks shown

Mensajes Wed 01 May 19 @ 3:14 am
Adion wrote :
There should not be a limit to the number of tracks shown

At least there should be info posted SOMEWHERE that tells you all the limitations placed on the online content, whether it's Soundcloud, Deezer, or the possibility of Beatport Link.

Mensajes Wed 01 May 19 @ 9:14 am
groovindj wrote :
zzzonedotnet wrote :

....but the music is not "your own", regardless of whether you play in public.

Copyrighted music is (in most cases) not allowed to be recorded, duplicated, modified, broadcast, and so on, without the appropriate permissions/authorization.

That applies even if you bought the music. You don't own the music when you buy it, you only buy the right to listen to it.

I should know this but when a DJ plays purchased music for profit (which again, I do not do) who pays the fees to the artists corresponding with that event?

Mensajes Wed 01 May 19 @ 7:48 pm
zzzonedotnet wrote :

I should know this but when a DJ plays purchased music for profit (which again, I do not do) who pays the fees to the artists corresponding with that event?

Crickets. I'm not sure I understand the concern for coypright so much when a DJ purchases music and then plays it in a stadium or club full of paying customers, and the artists get a few pennies per play, if they are lucky.

I guess commercial entities pay a music fee (to ASCAP in the U.S.) if they play recorded music but how does that pittance compensate the recording artists when the DJ and the venue may be making hundreds or thousands of dollars by the mere act of playing that music (and providing a suitable space, ambience, etc..)???

To get back to the original topic, when I use Soundcloud files for personal use, my subscription to Soundcloud provides some compensation to the artists, but in the pro DJ setting, when files are actually used commercially and in some cases for high dollar shows, the artists get virtually nothing (except a small fraction of the one time purchase fee for a track priced at approximately 2 USD and some minuscule portion of the ASCAP monthly licensing fee).

The system seems unjust to the artists if my assumptions above are correct. Recording and listening to an offline Soundcloud mix is the least of the artists' concerns.

Just sayin'.

Is that perspective correct?

Mensajes Thu 02 May 19 @ 4:56 pm
groovindj wrote :
zzzonedotnet wrote :

Your argument is moot. Purchased music cannot legally be played by DJ's. Therefore, the entire predication for Virtual DJ, Serato, etc., is built on the false assumption that purchased music can be played by DJs in clubs or at events held by other entities.

This site and all the participants are engaged in activities that are forbidden, if one follows the letter of the law.

https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2015/04/questions-music-can-legally-dj/

Therefore, to argue that a DJ cannot make a private mix of streamed music is a bit of hypocrisy and irony, considering the site where that observation is made, is built on
possible false assumptions.

Once again, the writing is clearly on the wall.

Mensajes Fri 03 May 19 @ 10:34 pm
zzzonedotnet wrote :
Purchased music cannot legally be played by DJ's

What?! Where on earth did you get that idea? Of course it can be played - with the correct authorization.

For most DJs (playing in a venue) the venue will be licensed for public performance.

Mensajes Fri 03 May 19 @ 10:50 pm
groovindj wrote :
zzzonedotnet wrote :
Purchased music cannot legally be played by DJ's

What?! Where on earth did you get that idea? Of course it can be played - with the correct authorization.

Check the link in my reply above.

Mensajes Fri 03 May 19 @ 11:20 pm
Yes, I did - before I replied. Where does it say that DJs cannot play legally purchased music?

It doesn't. What it says is that the music from some digital download or streaming sites is for personal use only.

That does not mean ALL legally purchased music cannot be played. It means the music from that site cannot be played in public.

There are other places to buy music. Places designed to be used by professionals.

Mensajes Sat 04 May 19 @ 6:25 am
groovindj wrote :
Yes, I did - before I replied. Where does it say that DJs cannot play legally purchased music?

There are other places to buy music. Places designed to be used by professionals.

I would be interested in purchasing such music so that the artists would be appropriately compensated. What are some sources of fully licensed music?

Mensajes Sat 04 May 19 @ 9:49 am
Sorry but I'm not going to continue spoon feeding you. The information you require is online. Use Google.

We're in different countries, so providers available to you will be different to those available to me.

Mensajes Sat 04 May 19 @ 9:53 am
Hey thanks.

I'm not sure what you have "spoonfed" me. I found that even purchasing music does not necessarily authorize for public performances.

In my mind professionals are the experts and are looked to for accurate information and guidance. Professionals are willing to lend a hand even though it may not be convenient.

I'm a professional in my real life. Seldom do I answer a question with "Google it." But hey, to each their own.

All I want to do is fairly compensate the artists I might play at some future hypothetical public venture. Currently, I'm probably doing enough making personal use mixtapes, although if we look hard enough, there's probably a law against that too.

Thanks. again.

https://zzzonedotnet.net/2019/05/04/downtime-dj-fatty-l/

Mensajes Sat 04 May 19 @ 3:17 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
zzzonedotnet wrote :
I would be interested in purchasing such music so that the artists would be appropriately compensated. What are some sources of fully licensed music?

Record pools such as Direct Music Service, Smashvision, Beatport, and many more are legal places for DJ's to purchase music allowed for public play. These sites usually encode license information into the track to prove who purchased it.

zzzonedotnet wrote :
who pays the fees to the artists corresponding with that event?

It is different in different countries. In the US the venue (such as at a club; restaurant; concert; on the radio; or streaming on the web) is responsible for performance licenses. ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC are the entities that a venue would pay for those licenses. It is not on the DJ to pay those.

Mensajes Sat 04 May 19 @ 4:44 pm
blckjck wrote :

Record pools such as Direct Music Service, Smashvision, Beatport, and many more are legal places for DJ's to purchase music allowed for public play. These sites usually encode license information into the track to prove who purchased it.

You didn't mention prominent DJ stores like:

1. Juno Download
2. Whatpeopleplay
3. Traxsource

If these guys are NOT selling authorized music, thousands of DJs are in big trouble.

Incidentally the article I cited above indicates that Beatport music is NOT authorized for public performances.

Thanks so much.

Mensajes Sat 04 May 19 @ 9:53 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
zzzonedotnet wrote :
You didn't mention prominent DJ stores like:

1. Juno Download
2. Whatpeopleplay
3. Traxsource

If these guys are NOT selling authorized music, thousands of DJs are in big trouble.

Incidentally the article I cited above indicates that Beatport music is NOT authorized for public performances.

Thanks so much.

After the 3 I listed, I added "and many more". You had asked for some examples. So, I gave you prominent ones and left it open that these are not the only sources. I also gave you companies that are in the US not EU since this forum shows you as being in the US. I did miss the Beatport part, I listed that out of "common knowledge", I should have researched that one first. My Appologies. The other two are licensed for public play. Promo Only is another one.

I'm not sure why you countered me and listed licensed services when you were asking what services are available.

Mensajes Sun 05 May 19 @ 3:54 pm
So back OT.

Here's the lowdown on SoundCloud integration in VDJ:

1. Tracks that you can use appear in the Liked subfolder of SoundCloud in the online folder section of VDJ
2. For the tracks to appear here, you log in with your SoundCloud Go+ account to the website and "like" all the tracks that you wish to appear in the VDJ folder and you must sign into your Go+ account in VDJ also (which is very easy)
3. The fidelity is likely less than 320 KBPS Lame but they sound pretty good and are usable
4. The files have DRM included so you cannot use VDJ's built in recorder but it's interesting that at least at this time you can broadcast them.
5. To have VDJ check their BPM and key, they must be individually analyzed by dragging each file to a deck
6. SoundCloud Go+ is pretty pricey in my opinion. https://soundcloud.com/go
7. VDJ for unclear reasons, limits your SoundCloud "liked" file number to "a couple hundred". I'm unclear on why VDJ would do this unless SoundCloud is forcing them to or VDJ has to pay a per track fee. This should be advertised in the specs for this integration. There is a hell of a lot of good music and even mixes on SoundCloud so the limit is troubling. So to get the files you want, in theory you might have to go to SoundCloud and "unlike' a bunch to bring it down to "a couple hundred." PITA.

Perhaps as time goes on the integration features will improve.

https://blog.soundcloud.com/tag/virtual-dj/

Mensajes Mon 20 May 19 @ 12:42 am
There is no limit on the number of tracks.
Could you try to find a couple of tracks that you liked, but that do not show up in VirtualDJ?
It appears that labels/artists have to approve their tracks for use with Go+ in other apps, and this was still an ongoing process a while back, which may exclude some tracks from showing up at this time.

Mensajes Mon 20 May 19 @ 2:57 am
74%