Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: disappointment - atomix, now virtual DJ (again!) - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I bought into the Atomix idea back in the days when it was originally called Virtual DJ. I liked the idea, the software was rough, needed work, but I bought in on the dream. Buying software, after all, helps promote its development.

Now, three years later, I have to say I am thoroughly disappointed with the development efforts. It seems as though development of this software was a 'spare-time' effort. Not to deride all the hard work put into in, but the release dates were few and far between. Further compounding my disppointment, so much effort was spent on fluff not crucial to the core idea of mixing. Skins, while cool, EQ, while interesting was poorly implemented and pales compared to using an external mixer. Worst of all was the sound quality, even when disabling the sound stretch (a very neat idea which needed more work) the sound quality is not very good.

And now I see that the product name has changed back to Virtual DJ. I wonder if this means we are going backwards instead of forwards. I hope with the increased price you are charging for your software more money will be spent on the development team.

This post is not a flame, or an insult. Just a note of disappointment from a long time fan of atomix who is sad to say this product never got a chance to be all it could be.

I have to say, I do not think I will avail of the 'special price' for an upgrade back to Virtual DJ. I think it is time for me to develop my own software and build in all those features I have been holding my breath for.

Prove me wrong. Show me that Virtual DJ is going to be a superior tool for live DJs, and maybe, just maybe, you'll win me back. But this time, my money is staying in my pocket. You have to prove it first this time.

Mensajes Tue 09 Sep 03 @ 6:23 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Atomixmp3 is Atomixmp3... Virtualdj is VirtualDJ. Similar sure... but 2 completely different softwares.

Mensajes Tue 09 Sep 03 @ 11:56 pm
RedEyzHome userMember since 2003
I'm affriad I have to agree with 'carchrae' on this. I bought Atomix hoping it's development would further, and now it seems the Atomix team has dropped everything Atomix to Focus on Virtual Dj, which I see, as an Atomix Customer, quite un-fair. Why should I have to re-purchase the same software for a few minor developement upgrades, a new name, and a different GUI. Where's the fairness and equality we, as Atomix customers, have come to expect from our design team - the people who after all make it possible for us to mix our digital media.

It's disheartening to think I need to cough up another $100+ Canadian dollars for the couple of adjustments that were made, and slapping a new name on essentially, the same software. Can someone give me a real answer, and not the tripe that reads 'they are two totally different things', because in all actuality they are not. They are exactly the same thing. You may aswell just called it 'Atomix 2.5', instead of giving it a new name and a different interface.

Anyone?

Mensajes Wed 10 Sep 03 @ 12:24 am
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003

Virtual DJ introduces a lot of interesting changes from AtomixMP3 v2.2
Here are the main ones :

• Automatic mixing: a completly new automatic mixing engine has been set up. Now Virtual DJ will recognize the style of the music (techno, hip hop, lounge) and adapt its mix in consequence. In case of a techno over techno mix, it will try to figure out where to start and where to end in order to have the vocals of both songs not overlapping. In case one of the mixed song does not have enough beat, it will do a quick crossfade. If the songs are still hip hop or r'n'b, it will try to match the first beat and last beat of the songs. Else it will just fade from one to another.

• Vinyl scratch: now you can scratch on the vinyl like on a real vinyl, and you can also use it to rewind/fast forward a song to the point you want. You can also use the mouse wheel over the disc to scratch.

• CBG (Computed Beat Grid): Under the classical rhythm waveform, you have small marks that represents the beats position on the whole song, even where there are no beat present (like in a break or an intro). By using the mousewheel in the rhythm zone, you can zoom in or out the curves (you can even go far enough to see the whole song).

• Beatlock: when you activate the beatlock, the both songs will remain synchro whatever happen. You can change the pitch, move into another point in the song, and even scratch, the songs will stay together (in case of a scratch, the song will catch up the other as soon as you stop scratching). There are two mode for the beatlock: rigid is the default, and elastic will distort the music to force each beat in the song to be aligned on a internal clock (usefull on old disco songs for example where the beats are not exactly equally spaced)

• Song view: in the window showing the position of the song, one can see the color changing with the intensity of the music, as you would see on a real vinyl. This way you can easily know where the breaks are. The window also shows where the cues are, and if the tooltip is enable you can have the name of the cue by going over it. A leftclick will rewind to that cue, and a rightclick will let you delete or rename a cue point. And at last, the window shows the progression of the loading when you load a song. Still, you can jump in a point of the song that is not loaded yet without any problem. By the way, all the songs are completely loaded in memory in vdj, so you can load a track from an audio CD, change the CD in the drive, and load another track on the other desk.

• Perfect sound quality

• Customisable shortcuts: the shortcut definition is now unified with the skin definition. So all that can be done in a skin can be done with a shortcut. The shortcuts are also now saved in a .XML file so it can be easily edited by hand.

• Zip skins: the .bmp and .xml files for a skin can now be left in a single .zip file in the skin directory.

• New effects: the effects can now have buttons, plus the effect interface has been redone and simplified a lot.

• Song list: the song list now displays the length of the songs, and a star beside the bpm for those songs which are recognized as beat-mixable by the automix engine.

• Crash recover: in case the software crashes, instead of giving an error message, it proposes either to automatically send an anonymous report to our services on the internet, or to automatically recover from the error. In case one choose to recover, Virtual DJ will close itself completely, and load again, and then load the same song, put the crossfader, pitch, volumes, gain, etc... in the same position, and play the song again. This way, people in the audience will just hear a small blank of one or two seconds, and then the music will continue as if nothing happened.

• Beat Tap to manually adjust BPM calulation

• +/- 12% pitch option added

• 4/4 rhythm pattern detection

• Record to MP3

• CD to MP3 or WAV encoder

• New effects: overloop, reverse play, vocals remover

• External MIDI keyboard compatibility for shortcuts

Mensajes Wed 10 Sep 03 @ 12:45 pm
What i wanna know is -

If and when is atomix gonna be upgraded to perfect sound quality?? If this was to happen then there is no point in buying virtual dj. Once this upgrade has been made then atomix will rule again...

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Wed 10 Sep 03 @ 6:10 pm
RedEyzHome userMember since 2003
Okay, so after all is said and done, why didn't you put our well spent money into upgrading Atomix with these features, rather than putting it into a totally different program, and making us pay for it again?

This is ludicris. You're essentially scamming the people that LOVE your software. Where are the upgrades to Atomix? It's been what - 8 months since 2.2 came out?

I'd like to have some upgrades. I did pay $90 CDN for this software, and it's gone nowhere since I purchased it.

Mensajes Wed 10 Sep 03 @ 6:15 pm
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
Because most of theses features can't be applied to Atomixmp3. The sound engine of Atomixmp3 has been developped some years ago, and it doesn't allow us to make such improvements. That's why Virtual DJ is a really new software that has been made from scratch. So please stop saying Virtual DJ only has small improvements.

Mensajes Wed 10 Sep 03 @ 6:41 pm
First of all. I have too felt the same way, but that was until I tried VDJ. Sorry team, I don't know what came over me.

Anyway...
It would be interesting to hear what you other users would consider a completely different software. Some might say that adding a few extra line of codes, justify calling it completely new program.

In the case of VirtualDJ, this is not the case. It might be a program based on and inspired by Atomixmp3, but it is done from scratch as Dams said.

Do we really think that only 60 USD per license can keep a SW-company alive in this business. I think not. To keep up development and keep the Atomix productions running, they need to charge something for the amount of work they do.

What would you have them do? Give free updates forever, and slowely run out of business. The only Concern I have is that Atomix Productions need to expand their development team.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong)
You have
Dams - who am in charge of the website.
Yan-X - Customer Service
Pol - Design website & skins
+ a few guys I don't know what they do

And the man himself
SClavel - CEO and main programmer.

What I would like to see is more people working on developing effects and skins. Well maybe not skins... I'm pretty satisfied with the one I got.

Best Regards

- Jim

Mensajes Wed 10 Sep 03 @ 8:28 pm
Well i would buy atomix if the sound quality is improved but im not buyin virtual dj because all i want is clear sound quality.... im not buyin a more expensive program just for that. None of the other features in vdj interest me (I hate the beatlock feature, would rather do it manully). Atomix would be the best with better sound engine. Thats the bottom line. If this will ever happen is anybodys guess. Im gettin tired of waiting.....

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Wed 10 Sep 03 @ 9:44 pm
is it not true that the atomix team did not even develop the mp3 playback module, but rather used someone elses module. i know this was true through many versions of the software.

i would be very pleased to see if they upgraded atomixmp3 sound quality. that would be enough to placate this old user. what is the cost/effort to do this...

as for the new auto-beat mixing features, i wonder if it is clear in the minds of the developers whether they are making a product for pro-live use or something for people who would like to mix but have no skills. in my mind, auto-beat mixing, while handy for getting you close, will never be on the mark enough to be used in live mixing.

technology should extend and empower the user, not replace them.

anyway, i hope you have not deserted the atomixmp3 users. we sure would like proper sound quality. surely this is not too much to ask. the rest of the features, sure, make it virtual dj, but please upgrade our sound. i remember when you touted atomix as a pro-tool. please deliver.

minor hope: fix the sort-by function on the file browser so it does not default back each time you change directory.

ps, has anyone else been here long enough to remember that the name virtual dj came before atomix, this is circa 1999/2000?

Mensajes Thu 11 Sep 03 @ 3:30 pm
It seems that "long term" demo users always say, I would buy if....

The sound engine used in Atomixmp3 is the sound engine that is used in Atomixmp3. (that's probably not going to ever change)

I'm sure that new features and upgrades will eventually be available for Atomixmp3, but the software is pretty well built around the sound engine that it uses.
Personally I used Atomixmp3 for years for DJing. I play 4-6 times each and every week. Whatever sound shortcomings you are talking about I never really noticed them.

There is a similar software that was built from the ground up around a better sound engine. It's still much less expensive than even the cheapest other DJing software. If you don't like the sound of Atomixmp3, I suggest you either buy VDJ, or start looking at some of the other DJ softwares available.
Personally, I've seen you around these forums as a demo user for a long long time now. I doubt if you are going to spend the $200.00++ dollars that the other softwares sell for. If you were ever going to buy one, it'd probably be Atomixmp3 for $60.00.
It's still a great deal. If you like it, then buy it. If you don't like it... move on.
How long do you have to demo a product before you decide if you like it or not.
I used the trial version for about 2 days before I finally bought it. That was several years ago.

Mensajes Thu 11 Sep 03 @ 6:54 pm
Well its pretty much the same as b4, i will buy when the product is good enough to buy. If they ever do upgrade the sound quality, then i will buy and im sure a lot of other people will. I like virtual dj but im not going to spend more money on a program that should have been an upgrade for atomixmp3. If they did up grade atomix with the features that virtual dj has then that would be great.... The speed of atomix's functionality and the sound quality of virtual dj. Everythin else in virtual dj dosn't interest me in the slightist.

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Thu 11 Sep 03 @ 11:31 pm
Dark Storm:

To get more you have to spend more. If you're taking DJ'ing seriously, you can't expect to spend only $60 and be set for life. For $60, Atomixmp3 and its sound quality is what you get. (For now :) )

Mensajes Fri 12 Sep 03 @ 6:41 pm
ok here how it goes.I agree with jim and rick.If you want to work as a pro dj with all the sound quality bla bla bla buy the program that you think its good.Dont say oh i need this and this and this with 60$.ok,i need also a pioneer cdj 1000 with 60$ but nobody will sell it to me in such a low price (if you find someone buy me a couple set:P) .i have worked very long on atomix.I have made a lot of gigs and a lot of cds that are online and available for d/l on net.Is the sound quality of them sucks? i dont think so.the sound quality of this program is not bad.Its just tricky.if you search the program enough you will understand how and what.About vdj now.Yes it is based on same logic and for sure the code is not the same.It is more pro tool i can assume that from all the extra feautures that it has.I dont know if it is as stable as atomix is (i need to buy a new computer to test that) but for sure you cannot say that is an upgrate of atomix.If we are thinking on that way then the team has to charge for updates.ALso see the other programs.Talking for traktor or pcdj? have you looked that all of them have 2-3 different versions of the SAME program with less features and more feutures>?If vdj will named as a atomixmp3Pro (or silver,red,blue shits?) with an upgrate that cost 75euros would you have the same complain?Come on guys...

Mensajes Sun 14 Sep 03 @ 5:10 am
i was a demo user of this program for about 2 months maybe(probably) longer. and like dj rick i knew within 2 days that i wanted this program. as far as sound quality goes....all that i can say is..........huh?....i have not had any problems yet with the sound quality....the trick i think is to disable automatic gain...that way you can toggle your crossfader, lower/increase your pod volume if needed and bingo..........no sound problems....

Mensajes Tue 16 Sep 03 @ 9:07 am
Raw Bear - Try turnin ure speakers rite up and put the pitch rite up and turn off timestretch on a track with just vocals in.... u hear that high pitch screetching?? Also u can turn on timestretch and get the double thud on the bass beats every now and again.. They fixed this in virtual dj.. but if they do in atomix is anybodys guess...

Mensajes Wed 17 Sep 03 @ 10:06 pm
VDJ upgrade was the best $98 CDN I've ever spent.

Simple - You get what you pay.

Mensajes Wed 24 Sep 03 @ 1:50 am
Dark Storm
Demo User Posted Wed 17 Sep 03 @ 22:06:05

"QUOTE"Try turnin ure speakers rite up" END QUOTE" well first of all i learned a VERY long time ago that the MAX you set ANY sound control ( not fx ) is 75 percent...the reason for this is that the unit/hardware/software...whatever...will have enough power in reserve to handle the peaks when they arise. "QUOTE" and put the pitch rite up and turn off timestretch on a track with just vocals in.... u hear that high pitch screetching?? Also u can turn on timestretch and get the double thud on the bass beats every now and again..."END QUOTE" well......i did all of that and i had no problem...i wonder if some other type of sound program is causing a conflict on some atomixmp3 users computer?...anyways....i have NO complaints but i do have some suggestions...and they were looked after by the people who design the skins..however there is one more thing i would like to see with atomixmp3 is that when you have 2 atomix running at the same time i would like to see a magic beat button that would match the beat between the 2 running atomix....

Mensajes Sun 28 Sep 03 @ 5:16 am
I used Atomixmp3 for over 2 years. I DJ in public venues 4-6 times every week. I always had time stretch enabled. I always had auto gain on (although I kept an eye on the gain) I NEVER had any complaints at all with the sound quality.
These same sound quality issues come up in these forums about 2-3 times a year. It seems there's always 1-3 people that jump in saying they have some sound issue.
There are thousands and thousands and thousands of registered Atomixmp3 users. Over the years there have been perhaps dozens of people mentioning these sound issues. As always I'd like to suggest that you look elsewhere for the real problem. It seems that there are many thousands of users who aren't experiencing these problems.
If you are going to buy Atomixmp3, just like any other product around, you buy it as is. If upgrades are offered, that's a bonus. If they aren't ever offered, then you got exactly what you paid for. You've used the demo. If you like it buy it. If not, demo something else.
If the sound is such a problem for you, why not go ahead and buy Virtual DJ? When compared to other DJ softwares out there it's still quite inexpensive.

Mensajes Sun 28 Sep 03 @ 4:55 pm
Well i think that virtual dj says it all.. If atomix dosn't have any sound problems then why does virtual dj boast of perfect sound quality.. Which i admit they have got it right in virtual dj, however i still do turn off timestretch because it still does double thud every now and again... I think most people just dont notice the sound quality in atomix.. but i know i can and thank god they fixed it in virtual dj.

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Mon 29 Sep 03 @ 2:55 pm
54%