Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Video DJ's - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
Curious to see how many people are mixing videos at clubes? Also for those with subscription to Promo Only whats your take on the company? Trying to find best place to get videos from. I have snagged a few music videos to play with and have to say that vdj works great, using it with my Ecler NUO4 and mapped the fader so I can you the cross fader for video (works great). Oh by the way I am in the states, so looking for source in states.

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 12:36 am
I use it nightly to mix videos in the clubs! Nothing easier or better for the job in my opinion!

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 12:53 am
We aren't a club, but rather a 42 lane bowling center. We have used Promo Only since it started and have almost every Top Hits DVD they had. I must say I haven't used any other DVDs, but I love Promo Only. Our center has 4 Big screens and since I got hooked on VDJ it has been the best. VDJ IMO gives us the tool to put on a very professional show and for that it is worth every penny. We used to use 2 300 disc DVD players and flip flop between the 2 to prevent disc damage and you could always see what the DJ/VJ was doing as there were no transitions between videos. I am Sold now that I worked out my issues sort of.

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 12:56 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
4 years ago I attended the AC show and was in the third day ready to pack it up and head home when I finally got close enough to get to the counter at Promo Only.
They had a plazma running what I thought was just mtv videos never realizing they were selling discs.
I poked around and spotted the All Time Party classic disc and I was quite impressed and bought it.

That night I loaded it in my laptop plugged into a Bose Wave and it blew my mind.
I was preparing to leave the next morning for home, but instead noticed 2 seminars on video djing, one by Roonie G from Pioneer and one by PO so I planned a return trip.

When I went back I decided to take advantage of the show price ($25) on the discs and bought 3 more.
And with only a hundred dollar bill and no change other than a 50, he shrugged his shoulders and handed me the 3 discs for $50 stating "you just got a good deal". (that was Tracy, known as Preacher)

And that was the beginning of a long relationship of buying video and hardware.
They are more than fair and have always treated me well, even with free discs now and then as samples, even in the last month with the Hair bands disc and the Reggaeton disc just released.
I have bought screens, players, an Edirol V4 video mixer and nearly every Hot Video disc ever released excluding exausted supplies. (only 3).

The best thing is that instead of spending the thousands I have, you can get the Hot Video Classic series which consolodates the best of and eliminates the promotional music that just didn't make the charts successfully.
Hot Video gives you top 40, Dance (club remixes), Urban as well as Modern Rock plus 3 ambients each month totalling 48-50 tracks.
There are other select series for each and an express series that comes weekly with even more tracks that wont appear on Hot Video. If you do schools and need that new track, this is for you but expencive.
But, if you are doing schools that shouldn't be an issue, gotta have it and they pay well.

The point here is I don't think you will find a better deal on video or hardware, nor better people to deal with.
Jim Robinson (one owner) has numerous times made direct contact regarding issues, other people such as Glen and more recently Scotty B are on top of every detail to insure total satisfaction.
This is not bullshit, this is my personal experience, and I wandered once after making a very public mistake. They welcomed me back, forgave and mended ways and I will never wander again.

I have tried Rock America (very high priced), ETV (no longer in business and shit quality) and Screenplay who is very good but missed some charting tracks (Kevin Lyttle - Turn me on) replying that I needed to buy another series (urban) to get those tracks despite being on the top 40 charts that Hot Video had serviced 2 months earlier.

You will see them at every dj show giving free seminars, lunches, parties (Studio 54 in Vegas was pissa) and attention to anybody who walks up with a question.

At the Computer DJ Summit in Tampa last year they drove every day from Orlando to Tampa to be a part, gave away discs, and fed people lunch for a couple of days. It was a small turn out, but the point is that they were there regardless, and i'm sure it cost them to be there.
That is the level of dedication they give to us, that is why they get my dough.

So there you go, the choice is yours.

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 1:28 am
Sorry Rick but I have to disagree, I have quite a number of Promo Only, including the Party Classics, the 70's collections and the 80's collections, and i find the quality to be quite poor on a quite a number of the tracks, not the sound but the picture quality is VERY questionable, yes they are originals and not copies. I find MixMash www.mixmash.com to be of a MUCH higher standard. I'm not alone either, a guy I know who is a highly rated professional VJ and who has done visuals for and worked with Van Dyk, Tiesto, Judge Jules and Hed Kandi amongst others also highly rates MixMash.

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 1:49 am
Unfortunately, that is a UK company which we can't compare to.
And I disagree that the quality differs, but i'm not sure what PO UK is doing.

These are masters, the same used on MTV.
Infact, PO creates the Monster Mix programming for MTV, I doubt very much MTV would settle for less than the best from the labels OR PO.

But to each their own, the poster was asking for service in the US and my experience has been excellent with these folks.

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 2:00 am
Same here. Use PO every night when I work. Wouldn't settle for anything less.

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 2:46 am
I currently do 2 nights per week (other dj also does 2 nights per week) strictly video, have been doing video at one club or another since 1983 (when I used to have to just cue and seque vhs hi-fi tapes!) years now. Promo Only quality (video) was pretty crappy (compressing 40 videos onto a single layer dvd) while I was using them through 2004, when I switched to Screen Play (thru TM Century) who had great quality video but horrible sound (I can remaster sound, wouldn't know were to begin to fix video quality). Promo only has fixed their video quality and now is no longer over compressing them and they are using dual layer discs............... By the way the crappy quality ETV library was purchased by Promo Only so they could get all the stuff ETV had on VHS tapes since the 80's, all this stuff was originally recorded on 3/4" tape and hence the poor quality and I don't think there is really anyway to fix it acceptably by todays standards)............ NO VIDEO SUBSCIPTION SERVICE I have seen has good programming. They all put only 25% (on the high side) nightclub playable hits per dvd on any given series. NONE of them have more than about 1/3 that are even hits by the broadest stretch of the term, a total RIP OFF in my opinion. There is also significant duplicates and cross over between series............Unfortuanatley until someone isn't greedy and forces us to buy 4 poorly programmed series a month to get all the hits we need (because they know there isn't an alternative so we have to buy it this way if we want to play videos) they will continue to provide inferior programming because they can get away with it. Mark my words, as soon as someone starts a high quality video download service you will instantly see the subscription services change their programming!............A custom DVD service like the beatport.com cd music service would REALLY be great (hint hint to anyone from beatport that might be reading)............Now all we need is someone to step to the plate and give us a dvd quality download service (or custom dvd service) for video, anyone, Bueller, Bueller, anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 3:58 am
I agree PO quality is bad you just have to ask yourself how can 40 tracks fit on to a single dvd?After you come with the answer I guess you would say time to find another service.But yes beatport please be reading & I'm hoping that someone would come out with a download service that the downloader can choose what quality they want to download.If people think PO is good quality then I guess they don't know any better.

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 4:20 am
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
Well I should of guessed there would be differences. I wish PO or the others would have samples that you can download before you shell out the money for the DVDs. I am looking into getting into mixing videos because no one does that here in my area. I have checked out Promo Onlys website, and there is alot of videos. I am more interested in the top 40 also dance/house. So what series would be best to get? X-mix has a thing for cds where they give you all the monthly cds not just house or r&B.
I do agree with others it would be nice for someone to put the videos on a service to download for a small price.
So what ambient is the best to get? I want to purchase a couple dvd's to play with and see the quality.

Thanks

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 4:36 am
Well guys, I think a couple of you are mis-informed. Go over to djchat.com and participate in the Video DJ section. Scott Bucher VP of Programming visits for forum regularly. Last time I checked, my Hot videos came on Dual Layered discs. As for the sound quality, don't blame PO, blame the production units the give PO the videos. The way you see the videos (with maybe the exception of remastered oldies) is the way Promo Only gets them. They change the quality of the edit of the videos without submitting it to the record labels. So the fault is not entirely on Promo Only.

@funnybonz

I use the Hot series which gives a mix of Top40, Urban, Dance, and Alternative. If you need the songs quick you can subscribe to the Express Videos which ship weekly.

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 6:20 am
Promo only just recently (to my knowlege in 2005) started using dual layer discs and now use dual layer for their entire catalog. Promo only does remaster their sound and most of the sound is very good. The last few years the video quality has been standard 740x480 res mpeg2 (the industry dvd standard), but until they started using dual layer dvd's they were compressing them significantly...........I will agree the "classics" are crappy because that is how they were recorded with the equipment/techniques of the period they were recorded. I have (or the clubs I played at) subscribed to both Promo Only and Tm Century (currently club subscribes to Promo Only and I am renewing with TM Century personally) and if you compare them side by side, like video to like video, TM century has always been better in my opinion (fewer compression artifacts, better contrast and better color saturation) and I would assume they are both getting identical masters from the labels................As far as Promo Only's 'Express" service this just means you are getting a bunch of useless videos even sooner (and paying a premium for it) because they are NOT putting any more hits on them...............Their so-called "Hot" series, July 2006 (more than enough time to look back and see how many hits) out of 40 tracks, for nightclub play there are 13 danceable hits and that is stretching it by calling some of the rock "danceable", and most of these were radio hits back in March and April..............I don't mind a couple of month's delay, but if you have two-three months to look back at what the hits were/are before you produce the dvd it should be 40 of 40 not 13 of 40 that are hits...........All of the services are this way, so I am beginning to think it is some kind of collusion or maybe the labels are telling them that for every "hit or recognized artist" they put on the dvd they need to put 4 crappy videos that never made it!...........My clubs don't "break" hits so I personally don't mind waiting a month or two to get the video, but by God if I am paying for 40 hit/hot videos then put 40 hit videos on the DVD, or only charge me for 12.

Mensajes Thu 14 Sep 06 @ 9:52 am
I see your point, but I think you are putting the blame on the wrong party. Promo Only doesn't control the music that is hitting the scene right now. If there was better music coming out to begin with there wouldn't be a problem. You also have to remember that even though you may not play certain tracks on the DVD, there are people out there that will. One person's trash is another person's treasure. As far as the timing of the videos, you have to remember that the videos don't come out at the same time the single breaks. Most of the time there is a month or two lag before a video is even shot for a hit single. Once again, I wouldn't shoot the messenger on that one either. I guess it doesn't burn me up as much because my club pays for the DVDs not me.

Mensajes Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 2:34 am
Dj Derrike said.... "As far as the timing of the videos, you have to remember that the videos don't come out at the same time the single breaks. Most of the time there is a month or two lag before a video is even shot for a hit single. Once again, I wouldn't shoot the messenger on that one either"......

That is my point exactly and why I CAN IMPLICENTLY BLAME the services for the programming. By the time the video comes out they have had 2-3 months to know if it was a hit or not. I am buying and paying for a dvd they advertise as a HIT dvd so it should be HITS, not "let's put this on the disc and hope it becomes a hit". The Urban, Dance, Club whatever is for that purpose and those who want to "break videos", put songs on there and HOPE they become hits..... A HIT DVD should be HITS period..........not 6 or 7 hits plus a bunch of videos for the people who want to play different, obscure or too new to tell videos. If I wanted a "sh*t that was never a hit, but someone might possibly like anyway" then put out a DVD called "sh*t someone might possibly like even though they weren't hits" but don't advertise it as a HIT dvd.

Mensajes Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 9:44 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Short answer to the original question is ...

Promo Only

Even most of those that are complaining about the quality admit that the others are no better and that they themsleves are using PromoOnly.

I could give anecdotes on the great service experiences I have had with them over the past 5 years of my Video subscription, or the previous years of my CD subscription, but I think mp3jRick's stories tell you everything that needs to be said.

Mensajes Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 4:47 pm
Slightly off topic to the above.

But is it possible in VDJ to assign audio files a corresponding video file(muted)

To Illustrate

Deck 1....................Deck 2

Shakira.avi...............50cents.avi ___________<- Seen

HipsDontLie.mp3........Indaclub.mp3 ___________ <- Heard

<-------- Cross Fade ------->

As you cross fade between the two audio files, the corresponding video files are also cross faded.

Mensajes Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 5:44 pm
You could split the faders and do that, but the sync would probably be off.
Retracking is what is really necessary, and PO takes care of that for us, I got other things to do.....

Mensajes Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 5:50 pm
digimixer wrote :
Slightly off topic to the above.

But is it possible in VDJ to assign audio files a corresponding video file(muted)

To Illustrate

Deck 1....................Deck 2

Shakira.avi...............50cents.avi ___________<- Seen

HipsDontLie.mp3........Indaclub.mp3 ___________ <- Heard

<-------- Cross Fade ------->

As you cross fade between the two audio files, the corresponding video files are also cross faded.

Why complicate the issue so much? Why not use proper video files with sound?

Mensajes Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 6:40 pm
Wow!

Where to start...

First, thank you to all who gave us "props" - Partyman, discobrian24, mp3jrick, djderricke, frd1963 - your support is very much appreciated.

Also, thank you to mp3jrick and djderricke or trying to either explain, defend or clarify our releases.

Next, before I make any other comments, I want to express that if you have any comments, requests or problems concerning Promo Only and our programming, I try to keep our "door" open to your input as much as possible.
You can reach me either by phone, email or through our boards and i will help however I can or explain why I can't help.

Now to clarify...

I've been here at Promo Only since it's early days in the 1990's and with the video department since it's inception.
For the majority of our reels we have used dual layer discs. Some of you long time subscribers will remember the problems we had early on with the layer break positioning with Hot Video and Mix Video (now known as Dance Mix Video) Our specs are pretty much the same 720x480, 48K PCM uncompressed audio (better than CD quality).
the only 2 changes have been when we upgrade our encoding software and the level where we set the audio.
We have changed that from -0db early on, to -7db broadcats quality, to -0.1db the same levels as our CDs.

We aren't trying to cram 40 songs on to a single layer. If you notice our Express video has an average on 20-23 videos on a single layer. The same goes for Modern Rock Video and Latin Video. We use above industry standard compression and bit rates, comparable or better than say you would get on Spiderman2 or Pirates of The Caribbean home DVD - about the same in total size, time and content. I will agree the "classics" are crappy because that is how they were recorded with the equipment/techniques of the period they were recorded. We can only improve some of those only so much.

As for a custom DVD/video clip download service, as a dj myself that would be ideal. But don\'t hold your breath, just yet. With the advent of fille sharing abuse - the labels are getting very protective oftheir product (songs and videos). When we asked the labels, all but one medium sized label said "no". Too risky, no way to control it.
Also size and quality are factors. Wihile beatport is great for either mp3s or wavs, those files are relatively small, anywhere from 5 - 60MB give or take. With video, good quality mpegs are larger, and if you want full quality .mov file with wav audio you're looking at quite a large file. Even with iTunes it took me about 3 hours on Promo Only's industrial size internet connection almost 2 hours to download a 1.34 GB file.

Yes iTunes has this great idea including music videos, TV shows and now movies, and why don't we follow their idea?
Simple - the labels and studios know that their files are encrypted, watermarked, traceable and pretty much limited in where they can be played - iTunes, iPods, Quicktime etc. For a promotional service to be allowed several factors need to be answered. What players would be authorized for playback, creating a cross platform (PC/Mac) codec, what size, compression, foramt to use with these files. Then you are looking at storage and bandwith for these files that need to rival Apple - a huge multi, multi million dollar company. Imagine the frustration of thousands of djs trying to download the latest Justin Timberlake video released on a Friday from that server. To prevent a customer service nightmare - size does matter!
We already have a encrypted audio download service available for radio professionals that utilizes encrypted, traceable audio files. Meaning that the files has your information imbedded in it and if it hits the internet in anyway - file sharing site, emailed etc. it alerts the label of the abuse and the appropriate legal action is taken. As far as video - like I said it's a tough time so far - but that doesn't mean we aren't working on it.

Now to answer users questions:

DjMarioG: I agree it would be time to change if a service crammed 40 tracks on a single layer DVD, but since we have always used a dual layer disc for our issues that feature 40 tracks, this statement isn't an issue. With that in mind, I would reconsider the knowledge resourced to issue your last line.

FunnyBonz: Samples would be a great idea, but along the same lines of the "iTunes/beatport" like download service, the labels for the moment frown upon any type of streaming or download of service.

Dj-e-lectric: I'm not about to get in a battle over who is better Promo Only or Screenplay. I have met some of the Screenplay people and they all seem very cool. There is nothing wrong with friendly competition or personal preferences. I look at our 2 companies if we were McDonalds and Burger King - basically the same food just a matter of taste.
But I will direct comments about your conspiracy theory about programming, our production and video in general, in the next thread, as I have a quick conference call coming up.

Mensajes Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 7:57 pm
funnyb0nz: "I am more interested in the top 40 also dance/house. So what series would be best to get?"

With what our video series have to offer, I would suggest a combination of Hot Video and Club Video if those are your two interests. Research the playlists for the last few months and see if either, or both fit your needs. Maybe you only need, one or the other, maybe you need both. if you need a variety of clips faster I would suggest looking into Express. Do your research and choose what you're comfortable with.

Mensajes Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 10:31 pm
26%