Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Video DJ's - Page: 2

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Dj-e-lectric,

First let me say I'm glad you bring some of these points up because it gives me a chance to clear them up.

Next, you mention "useless' hits and missing hits.
Please if you feel we need to add a video to a series, by all means make a request.
But be specfic, for example I like this "song", I don't like that "song", etc.

Using your reference to July Hot Video

There are 40 tracks, and if my math is right 25% of 40 is 10.

1. Promiscuous (Nelly Furtado)
2. Buttons (Pussycat Dolls)
3. S.O.S. (Rihanna)
4. Snap Yo Fingers (Lil Jon)
5. So What (Field Mob)
6. Whoa! (Lil Kim)
7. Crazy (Gnarls Barkley)
8. Hustlin' (Rick Ross)
9. Holla At Me (Dj Khaled)
10. Say Somethin' (Mariah Cary)

There is 25 % - a pretty strong list.

To stretch it to your "13 danceable hits" that you mention

11. Steady As She Goes (The Raconteurs)
12. Hard To Beat (Hard-Fi)
13. Paula Deanda "Doing Too Much"

By your logic of "it should be 40 of 40 not 13 of 40 that are hits'

The following titles must not be hits:

Rihanna "Unfaithful"
Mary J Blige f./ U2 "One'
James Blunt "High"
Faith Hill "Lucky One"
Taxi Doll "Waiting" (3 weeks at #1 on Billboards dance charts)
Paul Oakenfold "Faster Kill Pussycat" (crossover worthy enough for CBS to use it for their US Open TV coverage)
John Parr "New Horizon" (Dance version of St. Elmo's Fire)
Mary J Blige "Enough Cryin'"
Angels & Airwaves "The Adventure" - basically Blink 182
AFI - "Miss Murder"

as well as other tracks from Moby, Pink, Mary J Blige, GooGoo Dolls etc.

My point is Hot Video is not designed for clubs. It follows the same definition you mention - find the hits and release them.
Different hits are useful for different people. On a college night clips, like Keane, Raconteurs and Angels & Airwaves might be more useful, at a wedding James Blunt or Faith Hill Hill might be used more. Doing a corporate party or apartment complex pool party that has kids - how many points will you score if you cater to the kids for a dancing contest with just 1 kids clip.
Just because all of the titles don't fit your format doesn't mean they suck, and are useless to other djs who do weddings, school events and other parties. That's being very narrow minded. Hot Video provides way you say it needs to the best across the board in a timely matter (don't forget Hot Video is received about a week or 2 before the titled month) and is programmed and edited 3 weeks before that - example - November Hot Video was finished this week)

There is no conspiracy, no greed here. Hits are place on a series when they deserve to be there and duplication is a part of music since records. Buy an album from any artist and then look at their Best of collection; duplicates with some new tracks.
I can see the customer service responses if we went with no duplication:
"Sorry 50 Cent can't be on Hot Video because it was on Urban 3 months ago."
"Maneater" can't be on Hot Video because it was on Club the month before"
Hot Video will have duplicates from another series as the songs grow to be popular hits. The same with our "Best of's" duplicates will happen but we do try to keep them to a minimum.

Rapping this up, hits are hits, no matter if they fit your format or not. if you are finding that the disc you are subscribing to isn't fitting your format, maybe it's time to switch or include another series. This is not a scam or conspiracy to get you to buy more discs, this is true of all media.

People don't watch just one TV station
People don't listen to just one radio station
People don't wear one companies clothing
People don't eat just type of food.
People just don't drink one kind of liquid.

Variety is everywhere, in what you do and what your crowd does, at your club, event or at home.
You can't expect one specific thing to fit all your needs.

Communication is key! Explain to me what you are playing and what you need! I'm a pretty good listener and club dj with plenty of experience. If you think Hot Video or any of our series need to feature a song, send me an email and make a request. Without any suggestions, its just like a guy who complains after the event is over that you didn't play any of his songs, even though he never made a request.
Without communication explaining your needs, I can't help.

Mensajes Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 10:36 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
@Scott Bucher,
Do you plan on releasing a "DJ friendly" series? For example original 12" Tracks with its Video, obviously this would require editing and using filler effects for the intro/outro/breaks etc.

If not, does anyone know if and where such versions are available?

Mensajes Fri 15 Sep 06 @ 10:45 pm
Scott Bucher wrote :
Wow!

As for a custom DVD/video clip download service, as a dj myself that would be ideal. But don't hold your breath, just yet. With the advent of fille sharing abuse - the labels are getting very protective oftheir product (songs and videos). When we asked the labels, all but one medium sized label said "no". Too risky, no way to control it.

Any of the record companies, film companies, video companies can come up with that excuse. Heard it all before when tape recorders were popular and the record compnies complained. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter whether it's a single (record) release, an album, a PC game or whatever, it's open to abuse, always has been, always will be. Nothing will change that fact. But at the end of the day, business is about supply and demand, the same argument was given about legal download sites, yet we have already had a number one charting song compiled from downloads and before the track was released on a physical medium (Gnarls Berkley).

With regard to quality, the CD was invented in 1982, digital recording was pre that date. Please don't try to tell people that fitting 43 music videos on one disc (Hot Video Classics 1980 - 83) is down to the recording format of the day! That just is not true, since we can see those same videos on MTV with a FAR superior quality!

Mensajes Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 2:25 am
Thanks for dropping by Scott and clearing that up. Much appreciated.

Mensajes Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 4:03 am
funnyb0nzPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2006
Scott>Thanks for stopping by. I will be calling next week to place an order. And also get your feedback on what I should get.....Thanks again to everyone here on the forums as well.

Mensajes Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 5:02 am
I apologise Scott, I was apparently looking at the June HOT VIDEO listings instead of July, you are right JULY was an exceptional month, but far from the norm. Below are the 13 songs I was referring to on the JUNE DVD.

21,22 Rapture Riders US Version Blondie Vs. The Doors
23 Waterman Olav Basoski f./Michie One
24 Nice Day Chris Cox Club Edit Persephone's Bees
25 Rain Beat Thrillerz f./Melodie Joy
26 Everytime We Touch Original Edit* Cascada
27 I'm N Luv (Wit A Stripper) 2 Tha Remix T Pain f./R.Kelly, Pimp C (of UGK), Too $hort, MJG, Twista and Paul Wall
28,29 It's Goin Down Yung Joc
32,33 Do It To It Cherish f./Sean Paul of the YoungBloodZ
34,35 Gimme That Chris Brown f./Lil' Wayne
36 When You're Mad Ne-Yo
37 Best Friend 50 Cent and Olivia
38,39 Where'd You Go Fort Minor f./Holly Brook
49,50 I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor Arctic Monkeys

As a (happily) narrow minded programmer (who by the way, programs clubs that play all forms of DANCEABLE MAINSTREAM HITS from all genres from the 60's through today) I would like to put in a request then for a series for MAINSTREAM NIGHTCLUB VJ's that focuses on DANCEABLE HOT 100 (according to the industry standard BILLBOARD) hits. A series that includes 50 cent and young joc as well as panic at the disco, weezer, paul oakenfold and taxi doll, et al.........when they cross over to the hot 100. Put shawna on the urban dvd when appropriate, but not on the (proposed) MAINSTREAM CLUB dvd until (if and when) she crosses over, same with oakenfold, when he crosses over to HOT 100 include him on the (proposed) MAINSTREAM CLUB dvd, but until then he belongs on the dance club dvd............You and TM CENTURY both do such a great job concisely programming your cd's why can't the dvd's be of similar programming quality? If your answer is that you only put about 20 songs on a cd so it's easier to get a high percentage of "good" music on any given series then maybe you need to look at doing more DVD series with less filler videos on each and dropping the price so buying multiple series for those who need them is affordable...............I know you may think I am just one disgruntled VJ making noise, but I am one disgruntled dj making noise for the untold numbers who won't speak up because they don't want to be scorned or they think it isn't politically correct, or they think it won't do any good or just follow the status quo when they could make things better or they just plain think companies no longer licten to or care about what customers think.........maybe they're right but at least I will know I tried to make a difference............just a few thoughts from someone who actually has to use the products night in and night out in front of a paying audience to make a living!.........In the mean time Scott, don't worry Promo Only will still have my club owner's subscritpion money because there are too few competitors to require anybody to think about changing so we have to just get whatever is offered if we want to give or clientelle videos.

Mensajes Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 2:37 pm
Oh, by the way, maybe you need to look at DSL instead of your commercial connection. I upload and download 1-2 gig graphics all the time with my sign business and it only takes about 15 minutes to download a 1gig file with my slow home Qwest DSL connection on an old p3 750mqhz computer I use for net surfing and emailing..................I would gladly spend that much time to download videos if I could hand pick them. I would even be willing to pay the same annual subscription rate as we now pay for 1 series even if you guys capped the number of downloads at say 25 videos per month, personnaly I would come out twice as many playable videos ahead each month.

Mensajes Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 2:48 pm
Lastly (and then I will Shut up on the subject) Scott wrote,

"As for a custom DVD/video clip download service, as a dj myself that would be ideal. But don't hold your breath, just yet. With the advent of fille sharing abuse - the labels are getting very protective oftheir product (songs and videos)."

That is the most absurd arguement. Abusers don't care if they pay to download the video and then file share it or if they pay for the dvd rip it and then file share it. It is the same reason the labels were so hesitant to do music downloads..........they want us to pay for a whole cd/dvd of music when we really only want a couple of selections from it.

Prosecute the criminals, don't continually punish law abiding (and moral) citizens.

Mensajes Sat 16 Sep 06 @ 2:56 pm
Bagpuss wrote :
@Scott Bucher,
Do you plan on releasing a "DJ friendly" series? For example original 12" Tracks with its Video, obviously this would require editing and using filler effects for the intro/outro/breaks etc.

If not, does anyone know if and where such versions are available?

I have been active on editing my own videos for years now. Before the ability to actually mix them I was using a consumer DVD player in the club I worked at years ago. It was a themed 70's 80's club that had a subscription to ETV at the time. I took the videos and started replacing the video sound with the original sound from the 12" or edit that I did. I then had to sync all the video up to the audio and then make most of them start strong (because they were just dropped in and not mixed in). I made most of the fade out versions end cold so you can play it to the end and possibly mix out of it. That was then... now I am using VDJ, TCV's and an Ecler Nuo 4 mixer to mix videos. I edit all my tracks (all genres now) with custom DJ friendly intros and outros. So they are pretty much exclusive to where I am playing at the time. I also tag my videos with my DJ name so people know it was my video mix they are seeing as well. I put hours of work into each track to make sure they are broadcast ready. I have even made my own versions of videos that weren't meant to be videos. EI. the scene from Napoleon Dynamite were he is dancing on stage to Jamiroquai's Canned Heat. I edited that clip with a DJ friendly intro and outro and the whole dance sequence of him. People laugh and dance when I play it. Another very old track I did was Car Wash. I took clips from the movie Car Wash and put it to the music. That you CANNOT find on any Promo Only or any other Video subscription service out there. It would be nice to put my production skills to work for Promo Only (hint) to make a video series geared toward the working video mix DJ in the different formats (hip hop, dance, rock, etc)... So Scott Bucher just PM if you want a sample of my work to get a DJ friendly Video series started. I promise I do great quality work.

Mensajes Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 10:28 am
low-fat-al wrote :

I took clips from the movie Car Wash and put it to the music. That you CANNOT find on any Promo Only or any other Video subscription service out there. It would be nice to put my production skills to work for Promo Only (hint) to make a video series geared toward the working video mix DJ in the different formats (hip hop, dance, rock, etc)... So Scott Bucher just PM if you want a sample of my work to get a DJ friendly Video series started. I promise I do great quality work.

You would have a MAJOR headache there with licensing and copyright, it could possibly end up being more expensive to produce than would be financially viable. An actual music video is just that, a fully produced medium. When you start making your own and using parts chopped from other videos and movies then broadcasting them to the public you are entering a copyright minefield!

Mensajes Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 2:38 pm
You think so?

Well this being very new to the mainstream DJ's out there (video mixing that is). How would it be regulated? We as the creative DJ's who produce their own remixes and videos for entertainment purposes only can't be restricted like that all the time. I am not selling my videos. They are exclusive to only my shows that I happened to get booked for with video. I would love to get to the point of working for a company or running my own business for DJ Friendly Music and Videos. That way everyone benifits from my creative handywork. One question though... how does DJ's like DJ 2nd Nature get away with it then? On his website the last video demo he has broadcasted in public has him using clips of Family Guy along with other movie clips.

Mensajes Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 5:54 pm
I have no idea, but trust me, it's not what I "think", it'w what I "know". ANY material produced is subject to copyright, hence the warning on DVD's, video's and even in books. Does this look familiar :-

"You are prohibited from copying all or any part of this production without prior permission of the publisher"

or

"all rights reserved"

The following will help, although it's a state site stipulating somewhat local law, the same rules apply almost worldwide:-

http://dpi.wi.gov/lbstat/coplicen.html

As not only a DJ but a venue owner, I have to be aware of copyright law and public performance issues probably more so than most on here.

Trust me on this, trying to make video mixes of cuts from movies and TV programs without permission or licence IS an infringement of copyright and could get you into a whole lot of trouble, especially in the current copyright paranoid climate that is being created by the likes of Sony and MGM.

Anyone who knows more care to back me up on this?

Mensajes Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 7:30 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Tophouse is 100% correct on that, video is a very different animal when it comes to copywrite.
That is most of the reason we NEED PO and other promotional companies, we work under their licence.
The other thing is if you are playing in venues, you are jeopardising their licences and they could be sued big time as well as you.
I still don't know how mixmash and vms and Rock America do it with the remixes, particularly when is is cross labels. It is a real headache for the promo companies to do this. By the time they do the tracks area usually cold.

The blessing here is with this program we can do it ourselves live, without copywrite problems as long as we don't copy or distribute it.

The best we can hope for is a download service that encodes with a water mark tieing us directly to the file. We sign a specific contract for a specific service, we violate that and distribute it, we suffer the concequences.
Nope, your never going to stop it all, we can't even keep vdj off the net.
But the labels need more insurance to protect the artists than the casual download service suggested.

As it is now, the rippers are disappearing off the net as of/since Jan 1st 06, only mirrors exist now.
We flirt with the legalities as it is with mp3 and mpeg use on our systems.
It is imperative that we keep it squeeky clean so promotional companies aren't forced to take action.
It's their bread and butter also.
If the lables decide to shut them down, we are in deep shit.
So please get your music legally, it's in all of our best interest.

I walked into a local dance club doing video recently.
Dude was using copied mpegs/burned discs with the mtv vh1 splash cleverly cornered off with a Edirol V4 mixer. Ummmmm, ya we're stoopit patrons. But the owners had to know something was up.
That is trouble waiting to happen for him and the venue, and it was a big place.

The other thing I want to point out here, is that PO started distributing video in 2000 I think.
Ask anybody what the costs were with beta tape and 12" lazer discs prior to that, it was prohibitively priced for anything but big clubs.
PO has pulled the rug out from these other companies to provide an affordable service.
300 bucks a year for 600+/- tracks is cheap, do the math. Sure, some of them are not going to get played, but even if you only use 25% of them, it's cheap compared to what it was and still is with companies like Rock America who is at $100 per month.

Mensajes Sun 17 Sep 06 @ 11:07 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
As a Club DJ who plays about 90% video for my Gigs, I find Promo Only's Service quite valuable. I'll have to add that I'm in Canada, and unfortunately, there isn't nearly as much choice here for DVD supply as there is in the states. It's frustrating. Promo has a lot of hits on their DVDs, and that covers probably 60-70 percent of what I need to play... but they miss a lot of songs too. They also don't have many club songs, house, electronic dance music, etc... only the really super smash hits, and even then only a few every month.

The other thing is that I need to play current music when it comes out. If a song gets into the charts, people want to hear it where I work, and it'd be nice to have the video, but I typically have to wait two months (or more) after that to get my Promo DVD in the mail.

I wish I could do it all with great high quality DVDs like promos, but unfortunately, I've simply got to download video off the net or engage in some nefarious underground activities in order to fulfill the demands of my club... I have to get crap off the net to get the hot new videos, or the missed classics, or the more underground dance videos (and most of those videos are great for the clubs by the way, especially earlier in the night).

Since the inception of my DJ career, I've heard so many DJs complain about how evil it is to use downloaded tracks and copy CDs, and I've heard horror stories about someone's friend's cousin's friend who is a DJ getting in trouble with AVLA (or name your enforcement organization) for having a burned CD... yet these same people use a lot of burned discs or downloaded music themselves.

In fact, I don't know if I've met a DJ in the last couple years that actually uses original pressed discs for every song he plays, and it would seem that the vast majority of them actually use copies for virtually every disc they play. (Not to say that they don't own ANY originals, however). True, you can be licensed to do this, BUT these licenses don't extend to useful music subscription services like Promo Only and ERG.

Basically, it's illegal to copy promotional CDs, even if you have an AVLA license. I'm sure that the same is true with DVDs. If anyone is using software (i.e. Virtual DJ) to play music, especially video, it's pretty much guaranteed that the law is being broken.

But does anyone really care? Thoughts?

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 2:10 am
I'm no lawyer; however, a lawyer from one of the clubs I work at told the owner and me as far as "copied music".............If I purchased (or paid license) for the song or video, court preceedent (in the US) has ruled I can make as many copies of that material as I want for MY use (i.e play in my car, my home stereo or my Dj shows). That does not include copies for resale, file sharing or trading...........The club pays PUBLIC PERFORMANCE LICENSING to agencies such as ASCAP/BMI/SESCAM/etc. which allows the music/videos/karaoke songs to be played in their establishment..........these are two very seperate copywrite issues. The establishment licensing covers the performance of the music and does not address how that music was obtained (i.e. the establishment can not get in trouble for your illegally downloaded music/video being played in their establishment if their licensing fees are up to date). By the same token their public performance license does not protect you from copywrite violation from obtaining and using illegally downloaded/copied or shared music/video.................Bottom line is if you purchase (or pay license to a promo company like promo only or TM Century) you can legally (and morally) copy those to cd's/mp3/wav/avi/mpeg2/etc. and play them anywhere you want for personal use and in any establishment that has paid the appropriate public performance fees.............you can NEVER download (illegal downloads) or copy material for trade (including filesharing and copying your friends cd) or re-sale without express permission from whoever owns the copywrite...........In reality, I have never heard of any individual Dj getting busted for using illegally obtained music (that doesn't mean it won't happen someday) and I know of most "mobile Dj Companies" and LARGE major nightclub chains that buy one set of CD's from Promo Only and TM Century and make copies of them for each club and they haven't even been busted yet...........At least they bought one set and aren't like the thousands of wedding companies and private clubs and individual Dj's that continually download all their music from illegal file sharing routes because they are too cheap to pay for it or multiple copies of it...........people that cheat will always cheat, if they aren't Dj's then they are mechanics using their bosses tools and shop afterhours to "do cars on the side" or sign guys who steal vinyl from their boss and do graphics on the weekends and the t-shirt guys that rip off bumper sticker slogans and pro sports logos for their "knock-off shirts. Cheats are in all trades and walks of life, your just a bit more sensitive about it when they impact your livelyhood.

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 12:13 pm
what about when CD burners became more mainstream. Everyone including myself started transferring their vinyl collection over to CD to use is a more productive way. You can carry a book of CD's which was the same as 20 to 40 crates of records. Then of course MP3's... now it is MPG video files. We cannot stop technology with our ever changing way of entertainment. I remember shopping for records that were new and having to decide between the 5 to 10 records I could afford that week. Each record costing around $9 to $20 depending on if it was an import. We would spend HOURS listening to them and then trying to be careful because each record was ONE song I could play that night. Now these new school DJ's whom didn't have to do all that "back in the day" have the internet and MP3's and pirated software. Well keeping up with the latest in entertainment trends seems to be going to video more and more. Having my own personal collection of DVD's of artist like Michael Jackson, Madonna, The Cure, Erasure, etc... I can rip MY videos to use for Video DJ use now. Just like if I went to wal-mart and bought the latest "NOW" series of music CD's.

dj-e-lectric is correct.
The club pays PUBLIC PERFORMANCE LICENSING to agencies such as ASCAP/BMI/SESCAM/etc. which allows the music/videos/karaoke songs to be played in their establishment

We are covered and shouldn't have to worry about what we play. It may seem more of a moral issue if you choose not to get an illegal download of a song that was a last minute request by your bride for a wedding you are about to do in a few hours.

I personally have a subscription to Promo Only. Have had Hot Tracks subscriptions in the past. Tried out VMS (before they were bought out). Bought a ScreenPlay DVD (didn't like the quality). I own over a thousand DVD's of movies and music video collections of different artist. Have over 3000 CD's and 20,000 Vinyl records. Now if I can't use any of that to use for entertainment for my DJ services then I am going to go ahead and quit now.

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 12:32 pm
Since the subject of this thread is "video DJ's" and the question re copyright was regarding taking "video" from various sources such as movie dvd's, tv progs etc it is a completely different area than that of music, for instance, regarding PPL, for video you also have to have "VPL" and depending on premises licencing for your particular country/area/state/county etc etc, you may also have to have a cinematic license.

I said it before and I'll say it again, keeping this thread on topic, "it is 100% illegal to record movies, tv programs and movie media with the intent of showing it publicly,without seeking the express permission of the copyright owner AND taking out all necessary public performance licensing! Hell it's even illegal to play a dvd movie in a public place! Whether you bought the DVD or not, read all that text that comes up before the movie!

Whether we do it or not is entirely up to whether we want to take the risk, and I aint trying to be no cop here, just stating the facts!

I aint no lawyer either, and i haven't spoken to a some place where i works lawyer either. However i 'do' know what I'm talking about since I am a venue 'owner'.

Music is a whole different area and is a subject in it's own right.

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 4:51 pm
Tophouse is correct regarding movies, tv's shows (including sports events) and anything else that falls under "motion pictures"..........Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post the ascap/bmi/secam licensing is ONLY for music, music videos, karaoke and live bands doing covers of copywrite music AND they charge different fees for EACH of these or they have "package" deals that include some or all..........but tophouse is 1000000% correct on "motion picture" property.......that is why the commercial rates for the NFL FOOTBALL DIRECT TICKET on satellite is more than the home version as it includes the license to play those games in your bar, but ONLY those games not HBO or SHOWTIME, etc.

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 9:58 pm
John CPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Glad I stopped by this thread!

Good to see the "props" given to DJ Chats Video Forum ... hehe (some of you know why ...lol)

I understand the moderator / director is a friendly guy who tries to help out everyone, and there's a great bunch that share on that site.

I have been using Promo Only since I found the All Time Hits CD.

My first expereince with Promo Only dates back to NAMM, winter of '96. I was given a copy of December 95 and thought "Wow all these hits on one disc for less than $20". I was constantly buying artist CDs to have only 1 or 2 hits on that disc not much of a value there. Suddenly I went from $300+ a month to less than $20 to keep up with the most significant hits.

Once I got the All Time Hits I had to get a projector and play videos at my DJ shows.

It took me quite a while and many steps before I got where I am today. The help, and assistance of many on this thread have been just the details I needed to get-r-done and done right.

I now haul around a 100 pound CPS (computer performance system) loaded with over 6,000 videos, most of which are Promo Only.

There's more but you'll have to stop over to "that other forum" to know more ... lol

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 11:26 pm
John C wrote :

There's more but you'll have to stop over to "that other forum" to know more ... lol

where?

They should start a section here for just Video DJ topics.

Mensajes Mon 18 Sep 06 @ 11:34 pm
52%