Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: VDJ8 Limiter ruins the sound quality! would like a option to turn it off.. - Page: 2

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Djratedxxx919 wrote :
MP3GAIN..,,,,MP3GAIN.....set to 89, if you wanna go further ClassonEdwards BREAKAWAY DJ(only if you're using a controller).

I tried mp3gain at 92db, I thought it stripped the dynamic range out of the tracks, they just sounded flat and dull, setting the zeroDB to -3 resulted in better sounding tracks IMO. It accomplished the goal of not having to ride the gain knob on every track, now just keep an eye on the VU meters and tweak it only when it pokes into the red. Also have autogain set to Auto+remember so hopefully will only have to adjust the oddball track once. YMMV

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 9:18 am
Another thing about mp3gain, it was worthless for Content unlimited songs in my cache, whereas the zeroDb adjustment works for them as well.

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 10:28 am
I have used MP3gain set at 94db for many years now and have never experienced any issues with it changing the dynamic range of tracks. The VDJ limiter is far too tight, and users shouldn't have to go in and change advanced settings for a perceived fix.

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 11:16 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Do you guys have any track titles of songs that make the limiter noticeable that much?
I'm using zeroDb at the default 0dB and there's maybe 1 out of 1000 tracks that the gain need to be fixed for...

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 11:25 am
Ok, maybe some background is in order...it wasn't just a few tracks hitting the limiter, It was almost EVERY TRACK! I was doing a New Years Eve gig with my mobile rig, which is basically the first time (other than testing it in my garage) that I had played out with it. Rig is 2 X QSC K10s set to extsub and 1 Ksub I run the Numark NV XLR outs to an external mixer (behringer Xenyx X1222usb) then out to the sub, out of the sub to the tops. When the tracks were hitting limiter it would produce an audible "smack" and distort in the tops, It was also the first time I had used my new Numark NV thru this rig. Manually turning down the gain on the controller, and getting the VU meters out of the red would eliminate the "smack", as an aside the overall volume had no effect, only the limiter in vdj8. If the limiter was flashing on in the software, the music was distorting in the tops regardless of the volume level, the speakers were not clipping (first thing I checked) It was coming from the software. So I started researching "gain issues" related to VDJ8 and found this thread. The autogain on default in my situation was not working to keep tracks from hitting the limiter. I tried MP3gain on a the playlist that I had played on NYE at 92db, and to my ear, the result was that the tracks all sounded dull, almost muted (= No Dynamic Range) , so I undid the changes to the tracks and tried the zeroDB adjustment at -3db and listened to the same tracks again, and they sounded markedly better. I'm not crazy, I know what I heard, and while I'm new to DJing, I have been musician most of my life (I'm 47), and doing pro sound with live music for the last 15 years, I know my stuff and I have a pretty good ear. I'm not down on mp3gain, but in my situation it didn't give me the solution I was looking for to my satisfaction. Am I too picky? Perhaps, but that is why people hire me :) If I can hear a difference and it bothers ME, that is enough for me to do something about it even if nobody else would notice.

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 12:18 pm
If in the default skin the limiter led is almost full on, then there is indeed something wrong.
If you wouldn't mind, could you set the zeroDb back to 0 and try a few tracks to see if the limiter is kicking in again?

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 12:24 pm

You can't see from this the limiter is flashing and the VU meters on the controller are in the red, this is the autogain on default (0db)

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 12:33 pm
So you are using individual deck outputs in the sound config, autogain is set to auto, and only 'back to life' is playing?

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 2:10 pm

Yes I generally only play from 1 deck (at a time) although I will stage upcoming tracks on all 4 decks, depending on their source this my sound setup, pretty much default for the VDJ 8 mapping for the Numark NV, I added the booth mono out for My booth monitor at my residency

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 2:56 pm
That's definitely a wrong sound setup.
I don't know how you have your gear connected, but either you should MONO (Ch 2) on Master, or remove booth from your sound setup.
Right now you overload CH1 of NV soundcard with both "Master" and "Booth" outputs

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 3:27 pm
derwoodski wrote :

You can't see from this the limiter is flashing and the VU meters on the controller are in the red, this is the autogain on default (0db)

My question is why the choice not to use asio, also if your pa mixer has booth output why arent you using that instead?
Also with mp3gain did you set the clip protection setting?

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 4:47 pm
I STRONGLY ADVICE VIRTUAL DJ ENGINEERS TO REMOVE THE LIMITER FROM VIRTUAL DJ BECAUSE ITS JUST ANNOYING ,DJS GETTING POOR SOUNDS WEN IT GOES OVER THE LIMITER.
IT MAKES MIXING TWO TRACK VERY UNCOMFORTABLE BECAUSE THE LIMITER ALWYS GOES HIGH

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 8:27 pm
I DID NOT REALLY PURCHASE VIRTUAL DJ FOR SUCH , I WILL RATHER USE SERATO IF NOTHING IS BEEN DONE.

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 8:29 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Please turn your caps lock off.

The limiter is there to prevent clipping. If you are hitting the limiter that much then check you are not applying too much gain or EQ, that you aren't using a plugin that is causing the sound levels to be boosted, and that your audio configuration is correct.

Failing that, lower your zerodb setting to give yourself more headroom before hitting the limiter.

Serato also has an enforced limiter that can only be disabled with certain setups.

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 8:37 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

My question is why the choice not to use asio, also if your pa mixer has booth output why arent you using that instead?
[/quote]

The NV audio interface Uses the WASAPI driver, there isn't an option to use ASIO. So it wasn't a choice. And no I didn't see a "clip Protection" setting in MP3gain, just an overall db level. As for the booth output option, It allows me to setup without an external mixer and still have a separate monitor with volume control. When I hookup at my residency, I run an Aux out to a studio monitor from the club's PA. All of which has zero to do with the gain of individual tracks in vdj and the zeroDB setting for autogain.

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 9:03 pm
Since both the master and the booth output go to the left channel, they will be summed and will thus make the output twice as loud.
So unless the booth volume is explicitly turned down at home, it will strongly affect the output level.

Mensajes Tue 05 Jan 16 @ 9:18 pm
prasanfPRO InfinityMember since 2011
blckjck wrote :
prasanf wrote :
In options setbauto gain to "remember". So you only have to do the below procedure once for each track.

That seems like a lot of work that's not needed.
If you start off bringing the ZeroDB down to -3 or so, then you would only have to adjust an occasional track.

Yes correct, but if you don't do it you will still have the problem on some tracks. This will makes sure you don't mess up any tracks.

Mensajes Wed 06 Jan 16 @ 5:53 am
derwoodski wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :

And no I didn't see a "clip Protection" setting in MP3gain, just an overall db level. [/quote]

Mensajes Wed 06 Jan 16 @ 6:53 am
WELL IM ALL CLEAR OVER HER MY TRACKS SOUND GREAT HAVING THE LIMITER FETURE IS A PLUS FOR ME

Mensajes Wed 06 Jan 16 @ 8:48 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Adion wrote :
Do you guys have any track titles of songs that make the limiter noticeable that much?
I'm using zeroDb at the default 0dB and there's maybe 1 out of 1000 tracks that the gain need to be fixed for...

Please note, I do like having the limiter. I just feel the default setting for ZeroDB should be at -3db to avoid most of these posts. I feel a hard limiter should never kick in. I have tested these songs on my rig running full out, outdoors. I do hear the limiter, even when it's once in a while. Maybe I notice it more then some because it's my system, and I also do live sound with it, I tend to notice any frequency abnormality or popping. All of the songs tested are Promo Only Lossless tracks converted to AIFF (still lossless just less compression). It seems the limiter kicks in more frequently on tracks that do not have a large db difference through out the song. Uptown Funk, Want you to want me, and Locked Away would kick in even during chorus parts.

Uptown Funk - Bruno Mars hits the limiter frequently.
Where are you now - Skrillex
Want you to want me - Jason Derulo
Honey, I'm good (Promo Only Clean Edit) - Andy Grammer
FourFiveSeconds - Rihanna
Locked Away - R.City

EDIT: I am using timecode with an Audio6 card and an external mixer. These are channel limiters that I am seeing.

Mensajes Wed 06 Jan 16 @ 11:05 am
40%