Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Digital Sound System Set Up Tecnical Help

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi, I run an Audio, Visual, Professionnal lighting rental company. And now im thinking of setting up a road ready (mobile DJ etc) Digital Console and im new to all this MIDI interface and such, so i actually just need help setting up the whole idea. I'm pretty sure i have all the necessary equipment, probably just need to purchase a connector for the MIDI, DIN-5 pin to usb etc.

Here's what i intend on using for this Digital Ready Console idea:

Mixer - I recently bought the new behringer mixer, the DDM-4000 (which i must say is fascinating, considering behringer's history)

CD Players - The regular DJ Dual-CD Players. I carry only pioneer and denon (CMX-3000, DN-D4500 etc) or i could use the Pioneer CDJ-200s i have lying aroun.

and a laptop (Virtual Dj Pro v6 installed).

Of course i intend to use Time encoded CDs i made which i downloaded from this site and then burning it onto a blank cd to make the VDJ time-encoded cds so that i can play music from the laptop.

So my question is, how do i put this all together? What else do i need?

Much thanks!

Mensajes Sun 23 Aug 09 @ 3:45 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
You would also need an ASIO soundcard with four inputs and 4 outputs.

Mensajes Sun 23 Aug 09 @ 4:15 pm
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Sorry to answer your question with a question. Do you intend to put this together for rental without an operator?

If so my suggestion would be to put together a rack case with a rackmount PC/mixer/monitor/keyboard and mouse ,not a laptop. That way you can have all the components built in.
If you try to put out a laptop/external disc drive/external sound card and so on, I feel you could have some big problems.
I am shure you will have seen how rented equipment gets treated and this stuff is just not build for such an abusive environment. If its your own gear you will look after it but laptops and external disc drives in paticular are realy sensitive to shocks. One drop and they can be history.

If its for rental ,build it tough and make it as simple to hook up as possible. If you can build everything into one case so that all the user needs to do is plug in the power cord/headphones/mic and amp. You might spend more to start with but it will save alot of grief in the long run.

As a DJing software VDJ is one of the most flexible out on the market. This means it can also be messed with and as with all computer software some level of administrator control would be advisable at least on the operating system. I dont know if there is a feature in VDJ already which allows you to lock certain functions, like the config settings.

Hope this helps

Daz

Mensajes Sun 23 Aug 09 @ 7:28 pm
Ok DAZ, that was really helpful, many thanks for that piece of advice. Ok i've checked with most of my clients and they would prefer it if they have less to carry, so in other words, they'll just be bringing their ext HDDs. And yes, i will be making a full sturdy custom made flight case for the whole set up. I just need help on hooking it up. Like wat else do i need? 'TearEmUp' mentioned an ASIO soundcard, would i absolutely need that or can i function with out it? What other cables do i need to purchase? And how do i rig the whole thing up so that i can use the Dj CD Dual Players with time encoded cds to control VDJ along with the DDM-4000 mixer. Thanks!

Mensajes Mon 24 Aug 09 @ 1:38 am
If you are going to use time code you need an ASIO card that provides 2 stereo inputs and 2 stereo outputs.
Wether this functionality is built into the mixer or via an external card.
The CD players audio outputs connect to the inputs on the card and the outputs from the card will connect to the mixer using standard stereo phono leads. If you are using an external card then a USB cable will connect to the PC or laptop.

The DDM400 is a digital mixer but it is not one I have used. Have a search round the forums as I know other guys use them.

With a timecode setup it is not essential to have the fuctionality of the DDM400 as the connections between the sound card and the mixer would be analog audio. From my own experience with the DJX700 the Behringer mixers are good value for money but not the toughest out there, be prepaired for xfader changes on a regular basis. Pioneers DJM600 or similar industry standard mixer might be a better bet. or if only two cds are going to be used a more basic two chan mixer as this reduces the space required and keeps the distance between the decks to a minimum..

If you take a look at the Numark/VDJ Virtual Vinyl package it will give you some idea of what is needed for a timecode/ASIO setup.

Just a note on clients plugging in their own drives. It would be worth having a clause in the hire contract to cover virus infection of your equipment from a clients HDD. A virus scan after every outing would be a must.

Daz

Mensajes Mon 24 Aug 09 @ 3:11 am
Bro Daz,

Thanks so much for your help and guidance. Regarding the ASIO card, do you mean a device such as the MAYA(or ESI) 44 USB? Would that be able to do the job? Or could you recommend some ASIO soundcards i could purchase? Preferably inexpensive ones, but just gimme a few examples of good ones as well so at least i know the range that im looking at.

And as for the DDM-4000, Daz, you will be amazed, VERY amazed. I got the mixer at a STEAL, trust me, it was really a STEAL so i had to buy it. I too have my reservations against Behringer products because it's no secret that they're not exactly 'up there'. I needed a mixer for my amateur DJs and i'm not comfortable giving out my DJM-3000s or 800s or equivalent to them so i thought i'd purchase this one. And i was blown away by the things this mixer can do! It's really a far cry from that horrid DJX700 rip off by Behringer of Pioneer's. But seriously, if i remove the Behringer logo from this mixer, you would never imagine in a lifetime that such a contraption was developed by them.

And as for the clause, thanks alot once again bro. That would have actually totally slipped my mind and by the time i find out, it would have been already too late, haha. Cheers for that!

-Plako

Mensajes Mon 24 Aug 09 @ 3:59 am
The MAYA 44 is available as a USB card and also as an ISA card for internal instalation on a PC.
I believe the MAYA will work resonably well and it is of course fairly cheap. It may well be worth doing some research into what the DDM 4000 can do as it should be capable of operating as your mixer/midi control in one. As before others will have more info than I do on this possibility. Just be aware that the more external equipment you hang onto the USB system, the more likely you are to have latency problems. Especialy if your using a laptop.
The Numark Virtual Vinyl box is designed specificaly to work with VDJ and Timecode and I think is a good solution. Obviously any ASIO card with the required 2 in 2 out should work but the only ones I have used are the internal PC MAYA 44 and the Numark VV.

Another thaught on the contract side is what to do to cover yourself in the event of equipment seizure. I don't know how tough the copyright laws are in the States but in the UK if someone is picked up using music media which is not licenced or from a non legal scorce they can have their equipment seized.

Daz

Mensajes Mon 24 Aug 09 @ 5:42 am
Oh damn, well we're not based in the States, we're based in Singapore. So the rules are abit relaxed here and not so enforced. You could even say it's practically void actually. Haha. But if you do get caught, then you're screwed. The judiciary system in Singapore is mapped like the UK's. After all, the UK is Singapore's colonial parent, or at least was. Cheers!

Mensajes Mon 24 Aug 09 @ 7:29 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)