Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: CDJ 400 Midi Control vs. Timecode CD's

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I'm looking for some pro's and con's for the two. I've used both but not long enough to conduct thorough enough research.

Sorry. CDJ HID CONTROL vs. TIMECODE

Mensajes Wed 10 Mar 10 @ 1:41 am
No brainer, use the usb midi. The output to the mixer is still done from the CDJ, and you can utilize master tempo any many of the other features the CDJ can offer, where as the timecode will only give you timecode signals and no FX.

Mensajes Mon 15 Mar 10 @ 2:41 pm
that helps. so is timecode able to do anything besides platter control?

and if you use something like CDJ as a USB midi controller(?) for VDJ and not with a timecode CD, do you have to load the media on the CDJ itself or can you still load a track in VDJ and use the CDJ to manipulate it? i think the latter is possible. and if it is, is it "downloading" that track onto the CDJ and allowing you to manipulate it using all the FX and other features of the CDJ and sending that back to VDJ? sry if this is confusing. one of my goals is to have ALL my media available only to the computer and avoid having a separate copy for a CDJ-like external device. BTW, im using these terms and concepts from this page: http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html#timecode.

coz if the CDJ output is going to a mixer, aren't you bypassing VDJ for your mixes at that point? i guess the only way you could make that work is if VDJ's sound setup accepted inputs other than timecodes. as im reading all this again, im realizing that a USB setup like this may just be able to send MIDI commands and not actual audio signals back 'TO' VDJ 'FROM' the CDJ. but i could be wrong abt that (hopefully :). but sending audio over USB 'FROM' VDJ 'TO' RMX obviously works.

i use Hercules RMX as a USB controller/sound card/mixer for VDJ.

hopefully all this makes sense to someone else like it does to me and is able to help. Thanks!

Mensajes Wed 17 Mar 10 @ 5:45 pm
Regardless of whether you are using timecode or a MIDI capable CDJ (400/900/2000), you always load the music in VirtualDJ. The CDJ is only acting as a controller for VirtualDJ and a sound card in the case of 400/900/2000 (Although you don't have to use the CDJ's built-in sound card if you don't want to.)

The music is never 'downloaded' to the CDJ. VDJ is simply seeing what you are doing with the platter, etc. and responding accordingly. If you wanted to play MP3's directly from the CDJ you would need a CDJ 400/900/2000 and use removable USB media plugged into it directly.

With timecode, VirtualDJ interprets the audio signal it receives from the CDJ via your sound card and uses this to work out what you are doing. It knows the current position in the track, and the direction and speed the platter is moving, allowing you to pitch, scratch, etc. Hotcues and manual loops (In/Out) will work on the CDJ. Auto beat loops will not work because the CDJ has no idea what the BPM of the song is (All it 'hears' is the constant timecode signal tone.) Built-in effects on the CDJ (If it has any) will not work because they will be applied to the timecode signal and corrupt it. The same also applies to master tempo/keylock. Effects and keylock must be applied within VirtualDJ itself.

With MIDI or HID, the CDJ sends signals directly to VDJ indicating which button you pressed, the platter position, etc. These can then be mapped to appropriate functions in the software allowing direct control. So an effect button can be mapped to trigger the appropriate effect in VDJ, beat loop buttons can trigger beat loops in VDJ, etc. VDJ can also send feedback to the controller so that buttons light appropriately and the correct song information is displayed on the display screen (Song time, BPM, etc.) You can also change MIDI mappings to suit your own preferences.

Please note that the CDJ 800 and 1000 are not MIDI controllers, they can only be used with timecode.

Mensajes Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 10:28 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)