Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: American Audio VMS4 Discussions - Page: 14

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi people

I think I have found the reason why we are getting distortion or low levels with the vms4. I have noticed whilst loading tracks on the virtual dj pro with the vms4 connected after loading different tracks onto the decks it changes the gain levels on the virtual dj software. For example i would put one track in deck 1 and the gain levels on the software would be -4.3db which is too low and then i would put a track in deck 2 which then would be 4.2 which is distortion level, then i have gone back to deck 1 and changed the track and now the db level has changed to 6.6 and gone bck to deck 2 and changed the track and the levels are 0.1db baring in mind you have got a separate gain on your vms4 which i always keep to 0db on both sides. I have even tried going into config/options, then disabling auto gain. This still doesnt fix the problem. So this means everytime you change tracks the db levels are changed whether it is too low or to loud(distorting level)
I am not sure whether mapping the gains to the vms4 levels would help this, this is for the virtual dj and american audio team to find the solution for this!
I have even tried the different eq mode,s IE. post eq and pre eq. When i take it out of pre eq all it does is stops my eqs and gains from working on the hardware, this doesnt solve the problem.

Anyone with the same problems and low levels and distortioning have a play with the vms4 and virtual dj chuck in about ten different tracks as if u were doing a set and then you'll understand exactly what im saying (and be checking your db levels)

Anyone with any solutions please feel free to help all of us out with this problem it would be much appreciated!!

WHEN THIS IS SORTED THE VMS ALONG WITH THE VIRTUAL DJ WILL BE A GREAT PIECE OF KIT ALONGSIDE THE SOFTWARE BUT THIS PROBLEM NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED ASAP AS IT IS JUST NOT FUNCTIONAL OTHERWISE!

Mensajes Mon 06 Sep 10 @ 4:34 pm
I don't have a VMS4 but what you are describing sounds normal.

With 'auto gain' enabled VDJ should analyse each track and set the gain so the output is 0db. The figures you describe are the adjustment VDJ has made to that level in order for it to be 0db.

I wouldn't advise turning it off. Especially as it makes no difference.

Mensajes Mon 06 Sep 10 @ 6:29 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
I don't have a VMS4 but what you are describing sounds normal.

With 'auto gain' enabled VDJ should analyse each track and set the gain so the output is 0db. The figures you describe are the adjustment VDJ has made to that level in order for it to be 0db.

I wouldn't advise turning it off. Especially as it makes no difference.

I agree. This is normal behaviour. Check you're auto gain settings before you change anything.

Roy

Mensajes Tue 07 Sep 10 @ 12:59 am
Gain options explained:

Disabled = No "AUTO" gain applied by VDJ. Each track sounds as it's recorded.
Auto: = VDJ automatically calculates how much gain must be applied in order the track's peak is 0 db (normalization)
Remember = VDJ won't apply any gain automatically, but if YOU change the gain of the track VDJ WILL remember it next time and it will apply the same gain again (the one you applied when you teased the knob)
Auto+Remember = A combo of the above two. VDJ will automatically calculate and add the amount of gain your track needs to reach 0 db. However if you tweak the knob, VDJ will apply YOUR gain the next time it loads the track.

VMS4: I don't own the unit, however AFAIK VMS4 is a HARDWARE mixer. You should NOT map the gain knobs of the mixer on the software gain knobs. If you do so, every "tweak" of the gain knob will result at least a DOUBLE change (one from the hardware, and one from the software).
Also, since VMS is a hardware mixer you should be aware of how to setup gain knobs on a hardware mixer. There's a big difference when you set gain knobs on a hardware mixer and when you set "gain knobs" on a MIDI controller.

Finally, maby someone else that uses the VMS4 can tell us how the skin is configed to SHOW the gain on screen?

Mensajes Tue 07 Sep 10 @ 6:39 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Gain options explained:

Disabled = No "AUTO" gain applied by VDJ. Each track sounds as it's recorded.
Auto: = VDJ automatically calculates how much gain must be applied in order the track's peak is 0 db (normalization)
Remember = VDJ won't apply any gain automatically, but if YOU change the gain of the track VDJ WILL remember it next time and it will apply the same gain again (the one you applied when you teased the knob)
Auto+Remember = A combo of the above two. VDJ will automatically calculate and add the amount of gain your track needs to reach 0 db. However if you tweak the knob, VDJ will apply YOUR gain the next time it loads the track.

VMS4: I don't own the unit, however AFAIK VMS4 is a HARDWARE mixer. You should NOT map the gain knobs of the mixer on the software gain knobs. If you do so, every "tweak" of the gain knob will result at least a DOUBLE change (one from the hardware, and one from the software).
Also, since VMS is a hardware mixer you should be aware of how to setup gain knobs on a hardware mixer. There's a big difference when you set gain knobs on a hardware mixer and when you set "gain knobs" on a MIDI controller.

Finally, maby someone else that uses the VMS4 can tell us how the skin is configed to SHOW the gain on screen?

Thanks for ur replys!

I understand what u are sayin with the auto gain, remember gain and so on, but the behaviour i was havin wasnt normal! i think ive sorted it now not to sure what i did as i was just playin about with different things n reset the settings.

now when i load a track it goes to the level the track is recorded at, which for example cud be 4.4 db but then after a few seconds it puts it to 0.0 db on the software which it shud be on, then if u got two different tracks that r at different levels u will use the gains on ur hardware to level them up! And this is how it should be exactlly! I have even gone back to my rmx mixer and this is the same procedure what happens.

so there is no need for gains on the software cus whats happening u are doubleing up on ur gains n thats whats gives u your distortion!!

put it this way forget the software if u have two external mixers one going into the other and the mixer that is going into your main mixer gains are full wack ur levels are full wack and ur master volumes are full wack no matter what u do on ur main mixer whether u turn it right down on everything ur still gonnna get distortion going through at high level or low level because the problem isnt ur main mixer its ur second mixer thats going into ur main one. so if u look at it that way thats the problem we have been getting with the vms4. But it isnt the problem with the vms4 going back to what i just said at the top then u should understand the problem. so even though ur selecting ur options using an external mixer ur strill able to use the software mixer as well. Im not an expert on software etc and i can understand the levels and the cross faders not to be mapped and even the eqs but as for the gains i dont know whether it would solve the problem for these to be mapped or taken off the software altogether. Now as i have read lots of forums and people saying that it is a fault with the hardware now if u read this and try and understand what i am tryin to say and go through what im saying on ur vms4 and virtual dj software ull understand it is a software problem or even both which would be alack of communication between both partiess and lack of trial and error testing with both parties being there.

One more thing when u do set on the gain option automatic and remember, once uve put the track in once and its changed the gain level to 0.0db the next time u load this track it will automatically remember it, which this is what u said on ur post earlier.

Now i have sussed most of my problems i am loving the vms4 and im just hoping virtual dj 7 will be more functional and stable with the vms4.
I am playing at two gigs friday and saturday so i will give u feedback on sunday and let u know how i get on.

Could someone please tell me how to update my firmware on my apple macbook pro as i have followed the instructions in the vms4 manual where it says browse-im not too sure what folder to click on to do the firmware update??

Mensajes Wed 08 Sep 10 @ 8:36 am
You have to download the firmware update file first, from the VMS4 web site.

Then, when you run the firmware upgrade app, you browse to wherever you saved the downloaded file.

Mensajes Wed 08 Sep 10 @ 9:08 am
Ok ok I hear u mate, thanks.

And this is for mac users?

I will try this when I get home

Mensajes Wed 08 Sep 10 @ 10:04 am
DJ KozPRO InfinityMember since 2007
So should I buy this thing or not? Still not sure.

Mensajes Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 12:43 pm
atfmdjPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Koz,
I love it and highly think it is a good controller. my 2 cents

Mensajes Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 1:22 pm
Thanks atfmdj.

Anyone else's 2 cents?

Mensajes Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 1:30 pm
cms30ggPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I would wait until all the bugs are worked out. I have had my unit for (4) days and I am waiting for a solution from the ADJ forum for the issues I am having. The issues are bleeding in the crossfader/ two songs playing on the same channel or midilog as they are called on this unit. I also have the cue issue which is shown in this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6pZ9gP1ipI

I updated the firmware and and did not change any of the settigs or any of the map settings. Dont get me wrong, I love what this unit can do but its very frustrating to buy something and have it not work as advertised.

Mensajes Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 3:19 pm
cms30ggPRO InfinityMember since 2008
By the way, I have upgraded from Numark Cue to Virtual DJ Pro though the VMS4 worked great with the LE version that I istalled. Its only after upgrading to VDJ pro and updating the firmware that the problems surfaced. Previous to purchasing the VMS4 I used the Hercules RMX with no issues and I will have to go back to it until I get these issues worked out.

Laptop Settings
HP HDX 18t
Vista 64bit
4 gb memory
Nvidia 512gb memory

Mensajes Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 3:32 pm
@cms30gg

That's my video showing the cue issue. This was resolved with the 3.11 firmware update. Make sure when you power on the VMS4 that you get 3 lights on the left VU and 11 on the right.

Mine works flawlessly now operationally. I'm just not convinced about the output levels being high enough and then there's the mic issue. Crack those and this will be a beast...

Roy

Mensajes Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 5:38 pm
GadgetMan wrote :
@cms30gg

That's my video showing the cue issue. This was resolved with the 3.11 firmware update. Make sure when you power on the VMS4 that you get 3 lights on the left VU and 11 on the right.

Mine works flawlessly now operationally. I'm just not convinced about the output levels being high enough and then there's the mic issue. Crack those and this will be a beast...

Roy

@ GadgetMan, have you tried using the VMS4 in Post EQ mode? (hold down channel 4 cue button when powering up)
My output levels are higher in post EQ mode than in regular mode.

Mensajes Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 6:02 pm
cms30gg wrote :
I would wait until all the bugs are worked out. I have had my unit for (4) days and I am waiting for a solution from the ADJ forum for the issues I am having. The issues are bleeding in the crossfader/ two songs playing on the same channel or midilog as they are called on this unit. I also have the cue issue which is shown in this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6pZ9gP1ipI

I updated the firmware and and did not change any of the settings or any of the map settings. Dont get me wrong, I love what this unit can do but its very frustrating to buy something and have it not work as advertised.

@cms30gg, have you tried using the VMS4 in Post EQ mode? (hold down channel 4 cue button when powering up)
I had the same problems your describing in regular mode but they all go away in post EQ mode, just make sure you map out the mixer area in VDJ Pro, I can send you my mapping for you to try in post EQ mode if you like.

Mensajes Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 6:04 pm
I sold my VMS4. I didnt like the sound. its distorted when i raised the volume. Each time i set it up, I always had to make adjustments with the USB/Analog buttons. One day it works on channle 1 for the left deck and channle 2 for the right deck. Another time it would be channel 2 for the left deck and channel 3 for the right deck.. Sometimes i could figure out what deck was what..

I always had to switch the the Normal/ Reverse button for the Crossfader. I just got tired of the setup delay. I just want to plug N mix. Not plug in and move switches, then mix.. No way. While i was mixing all of a sudden, the right decks didnt respond after 10 minutes of playing music. They key lock sounds bad. It didnt make a difference when it was on or off. When you play a song and raise the pitch, the voices start to sound high pitch like a chip munk.

Mensajes Fri 10 Sep 10 @ 7:32 pm
@DJ Koz
I love the unit, I think it has lots of potential but I think you should hold off on buying it until the issues are resolved. I think most of the issues with this unit have to do with the onboard sound card. Based on my testing I have concluded that the actual onboard sound card is bleeding the audio, not the mixer itself and the sound card is also giving me a hard time cuing my next track, I know the midi works fine since I can see it triggering everything on VDJ so I don't think there's a problem with the way VDJ interacts with the VMS4 MIDI signal.

I don't know about you other VMS4 owners but the onboard sound card on my unit sounds crappy, I noticed that every time I load a new song the song playing cuts out, I have tried changing the latency settings and I cant get it to stop. I tested my Native Instruments audio 2 sound card against the VMS4 sound card and I can't duplicate that problem using the audio 2.

The Djtechtools review of the unit they also recommended using another sound card, I was a bit disappointing by American Audio's choice of a 16bit sound card, Native Instruments sound cards are 24bit. High end manufactures like Allen & Heath, Denon and Pioneer also use 24bit sound cards but I guess you have to pay premium money for equipment with high end sound cards.

I don't seem have the mic problem like everybody else but I do have some kind of ground loop hum when the channels are set to analog. Lucky for me American Audio is only like 10 minutes away from me, I'm going to schedule a visit with their tech support.

Also, I was recommending using the unit in "Post EQ" mode so you could map the mixers EQs to VDJ but if you do that you will loose the ability to EQ your regular analog sources, so it kind of defeats the purpose of having this "MIDILOG" mixer. Now I see why they decided to ship the unit in Pre EQ mode by default. To bad you cant trigger each channels "Post EQ" mode individually like you can in higher end mixers.

The VMS4 with Audio 2 sound card seems like a killer combination and it would work out great for me if it wasn't for the ground loop hum noise I am getting when I set the channels to analog.

Sooo after further testing I don't recommend the unit. It has potential and its a damn good looking machine but hold off on it for now.

Mensajes Sat 11 Sep 10 @ 3:18 am
Post EQ mode wasn't better for me. I restarted the VMS4 mid gig.so I could back to pre EQ which was much better.

But I had a worse problem than that tonight. Twice VDJ froze as the VMS4 reacted badly to me switching on/off other mains sockets. It reset itself completely including showing the version number in the VU's.

Had to restart VDJ as well as it failed to let me control VDJ from the VMS4 after it reported itself.

Cheers,

Roy

Mensajes Sat 11 Sep 10 @ 8:18 pm
magagar80 i pm u on a mapping question or maybe someone else could help me ..i mapped out ch2
ch2 eq_high
ch2 eq_mid
ch2 eq_low and it works fine my problem is when i mapped ch3 eq_high eq_mid eq_low it doesnt control channel 3 it also controls channel 2 am i missing something
thank you for your help in advance guys p.s just noticed it works only on pfl you have selected on head phones cue meaning if blue pfl light is highlighted eq works on left channel meaning ch2 but if i select red pfl for headphone cue eq works fine on right channel meaning deck has any one noticed this bug

Mensajes Sat 11 Sep 10 @ 8:50 pm
Curious to see if those who have distortion with the mic... do you also hear the distortion through the headphones?

I went to the DJ shop and picked one up. Yes I took the chance. I was able to set it up fine. I believe it has version 3.8 still with newest drivers dowloaded from vsm4dj.com. Lovin the feel of the controller. I'm not able to set up with my system but I am using my headphones to see how it all works.

I explained the issues with the person who helped me and assured me that if I have any problems to bring it back. Just really curious if all the problems people are experiencing with distortion and sound clarity are also noticeable through the headphones... cause it sounds great so far.

Mensajes Sat 11 Sep 10 @ 10:30 pm
40%