Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: 40 Questions for the seasoned DJS

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Okay this is a list of questions that anyone can answer really these are the questions that have been on my mind and are a flow of conciouness so they're all very non-sequitor, but I don't have any dj friends to talk to about them on an individual basis so rather than dwell on them for the following weeks I'll ask them all.

1. How did you start djing
2. Do people just buy pro-hardware on a whim
3. How did people have the funds to start djing prior to the digital period
4. Why do people think vinyl sounds better
5. Is there a term or clear difference between Djing "live" i.e cueing up tracks, beatmatching, multple songs. And mixing one song from multiple songs then having that song be used to do the"live" djing.
6. Do people use audacity for their samples or like programs or is it all done in VDJ for some?
7. Pop music - Why is pop music considered a genre when the pop songs themselves belong to other genres.....
8. Is there a comprehensive list of DJ types? or something similar.
9. What is the most impressive thing a DJ could do that would make any pro-level DJ go "damn!"
10. Head set vs Ear Buds is it because they look cooler and more DJ-ish?
11. How long did you go before your first gig
12. A set - That's like a session right? why isn't there a DJ term hand book!
13. Who are the Community officials of VDJS?
14. How did you find out about VDJ?
15. Does anyone have perfect pitch (yo), and does it give you a significant advantage as a DJ?
16. Is there such thing as Off-beat beat matching --- or is that crazy talk.
17. True or false don't always trust the BPM
18. Flanger - where did that word come from
19. Mixing songs by the same artist is okay right?
20. Club/dance - people want too here the pop songs so how does a dj accommodate for this properly when sometimes the songs do not mesh well) I have an idea of course....but still be nice to hear another answer.
21. What do you call those "start-up" "mid-set" and "finish set" tracks that go like (rising Siren sound.... computerized female voice saying Warning....ominous base beat building.... then finally Echoey calling of the DJS name...then something something...and it always ends with something like "SHITS ABOUT GO DOWN!") Radio stations do the same thing with like "KQRS IN THE MORNING" or "The Party zone..."for stations that broadcast in clubs on weekends and things....and why does it always sound like the same guy. Do you guys hire vocie actors ro do your own work for that.
22. Do you ever take notes on your tracks or do you let it flow when mixing live.
23. what's not live mixing considered...
24. Are there DJ "unions" is there a DJ Quorum or committee
25. DJ conventions?
26. Are there any wildly popular Minnesota DJS?
27. DJ Funk who is he and why does he like to bounce?
28. I have a song that is a 12 minute mix of a bunch of old hip-hop and R&B songs would anyone be able to helpem identify who may have mixed it I got it about 9 years ago when I was... 10.
29. Does anyone DJ in Second Life
30. Is there anyway I could get VDJ Pro at a reduced price as a student?
31. Is there a detailed physics based explanation of why adjusting the equalizer in X way does Y?
32. Has anyone just used software to mix and been successful before (no pro-hardware input other than keyboard/mouse/headset)
33. Playing music on the Radio is legal why?
34. Is handing out recorded mixed music legal?
35. when is the best time to play a song all teh way through no matter what
36. cha-cha slide, cupid shuffle, electric slide --- are there new ones or others
37. Where do video DJS get there videos from - and how do the video djs sources get there song from labels.
38. DJ capital always or lowercase passible?

(This was originally was 40 questions but I forgot the last 4 because VDJ logged me out and erased them thankfully I did a quick copy of these 38 before pressing submit)

Mensajes Sun 16 Jan 11 @ 11:45 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Phatcat09 wrote :
9. What is the most impressive thing a DJ could do that would make any pro-level DJ go "damn!"

Not brag about how his feces is not odiferous....

Mensajes Mon 17 Jan 11 @ 5:57 pm
MY business partner who i do events with loves house and i love hip hop. we wanted to keep an even level of music at our events. so he taught me how to dj, kind of got me started and i picked up.

the serious djs do.

SHITTY JOBS!

its an old school thought, like old is gold kind of thing.

5. Is there a term or clear difference between Djing "live" i.e cueing up tracks, beatmatching, multple songs. And mixing one song from multiple songs then having that song be used to do the"live" djing.
if your very good djing live then no there shouldnt be any difference. but if you just slam songs, then yes you will see there is a difference between live and PREMIXED sets.

6. Do people use audacity for their samples or like programs or is it all done in VDJ for some?
audacity is widely used among djs.

7. Pop music - Why is pop music considered a genre when the pop songs themselves belong to other genres.
pop used to be pop, but now artists are fusing it with other genres, thats why it feels like pop belongs to other genres nowadays.

type as in what genres?

sell out a club.

ear buds may not be noise cancelling and yes they are harder to pop em in on the fly.

6 months,

cuz u cant read how to dj, u experience how to dj.

i dont fucking know.

my business partner uses it, and thats how i found out about it.

15. Does anyone have perfect pitch (yo), and does it give you a significant advantage as a DJ?
pitch?

maybe in dnb. i dont know.

true.

look it up.

no right after one another.

20. Club/dance - people want too here the pop songs so how does a dj accommodate for this properly when sometimes the songs do not mesh well) I have an idea of course....but still be nice to hear another answer.
some djs just slam it and some djs blend them in nicely. so depends on how anal u r and how nice u wanna be to ppl.

21. What do you call those "start-up" "mid-set" and "finish set" tracks that go like (rising Siren sound.... computerized female voice saying Warning....ominous base beat building.... then finally Echoey calling of the DJS name...then something something...and it always ends with something like "SHITS ABOUT GO DOWN!") Radio stations do the same thing with like "KQRS IN THE MORNING" or "The Party zone..."for stations that broadcast in clubs on weekends and things....and why does it always sound like the same guy. Do you guys hire vocie actors ro do your own work for that.
SAMPLES! AND DROPS! http://www.customdjdrops.com http://www.radiodaddy.com

22. Do you ever take notes on your tracks or do you let it flow when mixing live.
always take notes. on the phone, in my mind. while i see other djs mixing.

when you play a 10 min mix.

not really.

25. DJ conventions?
a lot of them. search.

dont know.

dont know.

28. I have a song that is a 12 minute mix of a bunch of old hip-hop and R&B songs would anyone be able to helpem identify who may have mixed it I got it about 9 years ago when I was... 10.
nope.

29. Does anyone DJ in Second Life.
where?

nope.

31. Is there a detailed physics based explanation of why adjusting the equalizer in X way does Y?
all about what sounds the best to your ears.

32. Has anyone just used software to mix and been successful before (no pro-hardware input other than keyboard/mouse/headset)
yes, youtube.

cuz it is "promo only"

as long as you dont make money out of it. if you do, u have to get the copyrights approval from the song labels first before selling.

35. when is the best time to play a song all teh way through no matter what.
at the end of the night.

36. cha-cha slide, cupid shuffle, electric slide --- are there new ones or others
yes, and i dont wanna talk bout them.

37. Where do video DJS get there videos from - and how do the video djs sources get there song from labels.
not a vdj, dont know.

both ways.

Mensajes Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 4:23 pm

Mensajes Sat 22 Jan 11 @ 4:31 pm
SpinsPRO InfinityMember since 2010
1. How did you start djing - Friended the DJ at the club I hung out at and asked him to show me how to mix, and he did. Helped him for a few months until he told me another club was looking for a DJ. I called, they asked me in, I brought 10 12" singles and spun them. They liked it and hired me. The club was dead, so that had nothing to lose. Took me two months and I got a crowd. Another two and my mentor called me told me I was killing his club. :)

2. Do people just buy pro-hardware on a whim I always have.

3. How did people have the funds to start djing prior to the digital period If you thinks the new digital equipment/music costs less then the analog stuff I started using in 1987, then you'd be wrong.

4. Why do people think vinyl sounds better Because it sounds cool to say it sounds better. The same reason people still say that a manual transmission is better than a automatic: they're snobs.

5. Is there a term or clear difference between Djing "live" i.e cueing up tracks, beatmatching, multple songs. And mixing one song from multiple songs then having that song be used to do the"live" djing. Yea, one is DJing the other is producing a mix to be used later...or am I misunderstanding the question?

7. Pop music - Why is pop music considered a genre when the pop songs themselves belong to other genres..... Pop is short for Popular...it's all pop music if it's popular.

8. Is there a comprehensive list of DJ types? or something similar. There are: Snobs; Jerks; Assholes; the list goes on and on...there is a reason there is a song out there titled "God Is A DJ"......

9. What is the most impressive thing a DJ could do that would make any pro-level DJ go "damn!" Show up on time and be polite to everyone. :)

10. Head set vs Ear Buds is it because they look cooler and more DJ-ish? I have no idea....I have to wear a can.....

11. How long did you go before your first gig When I actually stared looking: the same day (see question 1). When I figured out I could actually mix, three months.

12. A set - That's like a session right? why isn't there a DJ term hand book! Yes, a set is what I would call my entire night. Let's write a hand book!!

13. Who are the Community officials of VDJS? I don't understand the question.

14. How did you find out about VDJ? From a fellow DJ.

17. True or false don't always trust the BPM VDJ is only as good as the file you are playing; digital music is usually spot on, but just try to mix "Le Freak" by Chic when they change BMP near the end of the song. :)

18. Flanger - where did that word come from No idea.....

19. Mixing songs by the same artist is okay right? If it sounds good and your crowd likes it, do it. Don't let anyone tell you different.

20. Club/dance - people want too here the pop songs so how does a dj accommodate for this properly when sometimes the songs do not mesh well) I have an idea of course....but still be nice to hear another answer. If you're playing a pop club, then you play pop music. Find a mix you like and play it. If you're playing a "dance club" then play dance music and lay off the pop music. In other words, if the producers can't be bothered to remix it for dancing, then you don't play it.

21. What do you call those "start-up" "mid-set" and "finish set" tracks that go like (rising Siren sound.... computerized female voice saying Warning....ominous base beat building.... then finally Echoey calling of the DJS name...then something something...and it always ends with something like "SHITS ABOUT GO DOWN!") Radio stations do the same thing with like "KQRS IN THE MORNING" or "The Party zone..."for stations that broadcast in clubs on weekends and things....and why does it always sound like the same guy. Do you guys hire vocie actors ro do your own work for that. They're called bumpers, and they're only used by the list of DJ types I enumerated in my response to question 8. :)

22. Do you ever take notes on your tracks or do you let it flow when mixing live. I usually record myself, but I ALWAYS let the music take me.

23. what's not live mixing considered... Dead mixing? Playback?

24. Are there DJ "unions" is there a DJ Quorum or committee Communications Workers Union, but you don't need to be a part of the union in the US to work at clubs in US (this is a GOOD thing)

25. DJ conventions? Oh you bet!

26. Are there any wildly popular Minnesota DJS? Have you heard of any?

27. DJ Funk who is he and why does he like to bounce? Google the name and find out. :)

28. I have a song that is a 12 minute mix of a bunch of old hip-hop and R&B songs would anyone be able to helpem identify who may have mixed it I got it about 9 years ago when I was... 10. Contact me at SpinsRI@hotmail.com and send me a file.

29. Does anyone DJ in Second Life LOL

33. Playing music on the Radio is legal why? They pay ASCAP or BMI (in the US) so they are allowed to play music. Clubs in the US have to have to pay ASCAP or BMI as well. Many don't, but all it takes is another club to rat you out.

34. Is handing out recorded mixed music legal? Yes (and if anyone tells you it's not they are either lying or just don't know)

35. when is the best time to play a song all teh way through no matter what There is no "best time" but I do like to play a song that ends cold all the way to the paper if I want to change BPMs.

36. cha-cha slide, cupid shuffle, electric slide --- are there new ones or others I hope not....do you WANT to be a wedding DJ?

37. Where do video DJS get there videos from - and how do the video djs sources get there song from labels. Most get them via services. Google that as well and you'll find plenty of sources.

38. DJ capital always or lowercase passible? Stand for "disk jockey" so like "master of ceremonies" is MC, disk jockey is DJ (but no one's gonna care if you go dj)

Mensajes Wed 26 Jan 11 @ 10:17 pm
Seana23PRO InfinityMember since 2010
Phatcat09 wrote :

1. How did you start djing... Getting two You tube tabs up and swapping between the two!!!
2. Do people just buy pro-hardware on a whim... Not at a hundred quid or more!!!
3. How did people have the funds to start djing prior to the digital period...doesnt apply to me.
4. Why do people think vinyl sounds bettercos they are stuck in the stone age!!! personally i love WAX CYLINDERS!!!
5. Is there a term or clear difference between Djing \\\"live\\\" i.e cueing up tracks, beatmatching, multple songs. And mixing one song from multiple songs then having that song be used to do the\\\"live\\\" djing.sorry, i dont understand this question
6. Do people use audacity for their samples or like programs or is it all done in VDJ for some?i only use VDJ...
7. Pop music - Why is pop music considered a genre when the pop songs themselves belong to other genres.....Hmmm, im not sure...
8. Is there a comprehensive list of DJ types? or something similar.No, i dont think so, as most DJ different styles for different events...
9. What is the most impressive thing a DJ could do that would make any pro-level DJ go \\\"damn!\\\"Not show off too much!!!
10. Head set vs Ear Buds is it because they look cooler and more DJ-ish?headste as ear bud arent loud enough...
11. How long did you go before your first gig3 months...
12. A set - That\\\'s like a session right? why isn\\\'t there a DJ term hand book!Cos its always changing i think...
13. Who are the Community officials of VDJS?Dont know
14. How did you find out about VDJ?On\\\'t internet
15. Does anyone have perfect pitch (yo), and does it give you a significant advantage as a DJ?I do but it doesnt mean that i could tell you what key its in, i can just give the same key back again when i hear it...
16. Is there such thing as Off-beat beat matching --- or is that crazy talk.if the beats are spaced out then you could offset the next tune to double the beat count on both tracks...
17. True or false don\\\'t always trust the BPMDont trust it completely but dont disbelieve it either
18. Flanger - where did that word come fromCos a Flange is Bell shaped so it expands out from a fixed point...
19. Mixing songs by the same artist is okay right?Ov course
20. Club/dance - people want too here the pop songs so how does a dj accommodate for this properly when sometimes the songs do not mesh well) I have an idea of course....but still be nice to hear another answer.take the name and wait til it can be placed in the mix...
21. What do you call those \\\"start-up\\\" \\\"mid-set\\\" and \\\"finish set\\\" tracks that go like (rising Siren sound.... computerized female voice saying Warning....ominous base beat building.... then finally Echoey calling of the DJS name...then something something...and it always ends with something like \\\"SHITS ABOUT GO DOWN!\\\") Radio stations do the same thing with like \\\"KQRS IN THE MORNING\\\" or \\\"The Party zone...\\\"for stations that broadcast in clubs on weekends and things....and why does it always sound like the same guy. Do you guys hire vocie actors ro do your own work for that.jingles or drops
22. Do you ever take notes on your tracks or do you let it flow when mixing live.I take notes beforhand and practice the set so it fows more easily...
23. what\\\'s not live mixing considered...It has its place ov course
24. Are there DJ \\\"unions\\\" is there a DJ Quorum or committee There should be to stop DJ\\\'s undercutting eacvh other!!!
25. DJ conventions?In the UK... I wish!!
26. Are there any wildly popular Minnesota DJS? Dont know...
27. DJ Funk who is he and why does he like to bounce?Dont know...
28. I have a song that is a 12 minute mix of a bunch of old hip-hop and R&B songs would anyone be able to helpem identify who may have mixed it I got it about 9 years ago when I was... 10.Post it up (here or on Soundcloud and i\\\'ll give it a go...
29. Does anyone DJ in Second LifeDont know...
30. Is there anyway I could get VDJ Pro at a reduced price as a student?Ha!!! good try but no, i dont think so...
31. Is there a detailed physics based explanation of why adjusting the equalizer in X way does Y?Yes ov course and a Mathmatical equasion too but i dont know it!!!
32. Has anyone just used software to mix and been successful before (no pro-hardware input other than keyboard/mouse/headset)Eat Static...i think but they use keyboards and samplers etc too...
33. Playing music on the Radio is legal why?Why is it legal... cos we "should" have bought the tunes which gives us licence to use them... but not iTunes i think...
34. Is handing out recorded mixed music legal?If the tunes have been bought... See above!!!
35. when is the best time to play a song all teh way through no matter whatAt the end ov the set i think or if its a FAB tune!!!
36. cha-cha slide, cupid shuffle, electric slide --- are there new ones or othersNot heard ov these...
37. Where do video DJS get there videos from - and how do the video djs sources get there song from labels.Dont know i dont VDJ...
38. DJ capital always or lowercase passible?Always ALWAYS Upper case!!!

Phew..., thats a lot ov questions... give us 10 next time!!!

Seana

XXX

Mensajes Fri 28 Jan 11 @ 1:41 pm
^ + 1

Mensajes Fri 28 Jan 11 @ 1:44 pm
Thanks for the responses that answers a lot of questions.

I promise I will never ask another question about a line dance song again lol.

I'll meld into obscurity now.

Mensajes Sun 06 Feb 11 @ 2:52 pm
For me its listening to numerous Lisa Lashes mixes and wanting to do what she did!!

i have never, get decks or CDJ's to suit your ability as a DJ for example someone starting out isnt gonna spend a couple ov grand on Technic 1210's are they? thats just silly, they will make ur mistakes as obvious as day. start basic and work up! after all it takes practice

I got my 1210s second hand about a year ago that was my first official set of decks i actually owned, before that i used to use mates decks to build up my skills

because its not digitally enhanced....

yes a heck of a difference!! skill is required to DJ full stop!!

never made my own samples. ive used audacity to sample things in my Productions

7. Pop music - Why is pop music considered a genre when the pop songs themselves belong to other genres.....
because its all in the chart, its cheese you'll get no respect as a DJ from me if ur playing pop

Not to sure, ive always based it upon styles of music myself

ever seen DJ Craze at a DMC World Scratch Conest?? No? Youtube It!!

Defoo Cans cant beat headphones!!

about 5 years before i got my first gig

dunno, i consider a set a session either way

Pass.

Only because of this 'Digital Revolution' i use it

Pass.

Ive never heard of this...

never! never rely on anything to tell you this!

Pass...

gets a bit boring after a while hearing the same producer(s) all the time

20. Club/dance - people want too here the pop songs so how does a dj accommodate for this properly when sometimes the songs do not
mesh well) I have an idea of course....but still be nice to hear another answer.

by reading the croud its them your there for what they want they'll get right? they pump money into the venue and thats where ur cut comes from!!

Ive wondered that myself...

Flow, always better than pre-determining a mix

Fake.

Dunno.

25. DJ conventions?

think theres something simmilar

don't know mate i live in London, England

Dunt have a scooby doo

Possibly.

29. Does anyone DJ in Second Life

dunno am not there

loads of places to download it

Pass..

I do it all the time!! heres a mix i did http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3E5RIMA8

Dunno,

yeah course it is

35. when is the best time to play a song all teh way through no matter what

depends what event your doing...

No Comment.

dont know never DVJ'D

Capitals!

Mensajes Sat 19 Feb 11 @ 9:33 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)