Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: My First Night

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi Guys,

First off id like to introduce myself. My name is Ben and I'm from a small country town in Victoria, Australia. I have a small background of DJing in my past but it was mostly just song suggestion with no real. well. mixing or anything, and now Im starting to move into the real world of professional DJing.

So i just landed myself a resident DJ gig at one of the country night clubs out here in Australia.. Now i used to do a little bit of very basic "DJing" in my past but this is my first real shift into something bigger..

I currently have 2x Denons 3700's running in midi working perfect! so hardware i'm all set. Im just a bit concerned how this place will react. The current DJ there at times can almost beat mix.. But the crossover between songs are usually very rough (he had been DJing this place now for 6+ years..) but the background of this place is people are very used to just hearing stuff from the top 50. with a load of repeats. One of my first major changes will be no repeats.. or maybe maybe once.. certainly not 4+ times a night with popular songs.

But my question is how well do you think the crowd will adapt. Ive played around with a few different sets at home and have my beat mixing down rather well(not always perfect..) but im just concerned if i start playing all these different songs how the mentality of people in this club are. Any suggestions of songs or how you would handle this situation would be welcomed!

Thanks,

Ben

Mensajes Thu 05 May 11 @ 7:37 pm
It sounds like it a club where you have to play what they want, don't know if your from geelong, but if its a club like home house or lamby's, they have a specific sound that the clientele expect to hear, and obviously if the other guy cant beatmatch they don't care about how it sounds as long as they hear the songs they always hear. If you can beatmatch you can outshine the other guy easily as it will give your sets more flow, but those type of clubs like to keep the tempo varied so the crowd on the dance floor rotates so the owner can sell more drinks, that's probably why the other dj doesn't beatmatch.

Finally unless your as good as DJ AM and really love top 50 and can fuse it with other sounds but keep it commercial, if you take this job, that is exactly what it will be... a job "get used to playing usher LOL", save the mixing techniques and underground and styles (underground includes electro, fidgit, house) for a crowd that want's to hear them.

Mensajes Thu 05 May 11 @ 9:25 pm
KrowwPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Yeah Synthetic Got it right in one.

Another thing, don't over work your set, if you're getting paid to keep the customers happy, then you need to be flexible and go with who is there and whats happenein. I've done commercial gigs before and I've found you can introduce new stuff, about every third track (as long as it's roughly in the same genre).
Sounds silly and obvious but the most important thing here Ben is to make sure you have fun and get involved.
These commercial gigs is about you playing for the party, listen to the punters and try to deliver, you'll be doing high fives with drunks all night.
crowd happy = boss happy = $$

I personally don't do these gigs anymore (except N.Y.E. for the bucks) - I find it too exhausting.
But it's a great way to get your name out there, learn the trade and earn your stripes.

I'd also get to know the other DJ - It'll make your life so much easier if you become mates.

Good Luck with it all.

K

Mensajes Sat 07 May 11 @ 7:12 pm
Well it all actually went kinda well.. About 3 really down right awful crossovers.. A few tracks that they had never heard before. Everyone was loving it! Not a complaint either of the nights. My Denon's ran flawlessly in MIDI mode all night(i was concerned about that) the only thing was net search seemed to stop caching songs.. and if i was trying to load them up on the fly it would vary the time it would take to load which sometimes left for some butt clenching moments..

But very very happy with it all.. Just practice.. And im not from Geelong area.. a bit further south about 300ks or so

Mensajes Mon 09 May 11 @ 9:52 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)