Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Distorted Playback after random amount of time - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi,

I'm using Virtual DJ Pro 7.0.5b on a laptop running Windows 7 x64 with a pair of Pioneer CDJ400's.

Whenever I play a set, whether it's on my CDJ400's, or on a timecode CD, or a timecode vinyl setup, I always encounter the same problem.

After a random amount of time (could be anything from 10 mins to 2 hours), my songs will start to sound distorted. By this, I mean they sound crackly and muffled, and it will gradually get worse and worse until the song is no longer recognisable - not very nice at all. Sometimes the problem clears itself up if I change tracks really quickly (no good if you've planned a mix), but other times I have to shut down and restart Virtual DJ altogether (definitely not good!!).

This has been happening to me through multiple versions of Virtual DJ, multiple hardware configurations, and many driver updates, but is still a problem even now.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? If so, how do you prevent it from happening?

Thanks for any help you can offer...

Mensajes Mon 04 Jun 12 @ 12:16 am
I have only ever encountered this many years ago due to my laptop getting too hot.

Weird stuff happens when laptops get hot. Things become unpredictable.

Mensajes Tue 05 Jun 12 @ 7:48 am
really? That's your response. Laptop gets hot, it does weird things. As a computer engineer, that sounds very ignorant. If you have a laptop Core i7 with 4 GB of memory, 500 GB of storage space (of which only 15 % is being used).. Memory usage is only at 30%, available USB ports and no port conflicts, yet the sound still gets distorted and crackled, then there definitely something wrong with how Virtual DJ is buffering along with the MIDI/HID traffic and/or handling the ASIO API's incorrectly in the system.

Any one from virtual DJ support would like to answer a legit and re-occurring issue in the software?

Mensajes Tue 12 Jun 12 @ 1:09 am
groovindj wrote :
I have only ever encountered this many years ago due to my laptop getting too hot. Weird stuff happens when laptops get hot. Things become unpredictable.

+100% groovindj...This is one of many reasons that causes sounds being distorted... I have exactly the same experience with my previous HP LAPTOPS after playing for more than an hour it gets hot and causes the sounds to be distorted. I did a trial by comparison side by side with my new laptop, i have installed the same version of VDJ on my new Fujitsu Laptop which is more cooler than my old one and i have used the same Hercules controller and it runs smoothly without any problems. A friend of mine having the same problem with his Laptop being getting hot after playing for sometimes and sounds becomes distorted once it is hot he just stop the laptop and let it cool for a while and then reboot after getting cooled then it sounds back to normal.

dsn_waad wrote :
really? That's your response. Laptop gets hot, it does weird things. As a computer engineer, that sounds very ignorant.

That is not an ignorant... remember that you have to consider many reasons why the sounds is getting distorted and one of them could be the Laptop or hardware/controller is getting hot... If i would be the dean of the engineering school from which you've graduated i will send you back to schools for another year. Practically speaking getting hot for a Laptop is not necessarily because of the CPU so much usage or so much of memory resources being consumed even if your laptop is in normal/minimal use it will basically get hot if there are some faulty computer Peripheral on it like for example if FANS is not working, FAULTY BATTERY and most of the cases Laptop are getting too hot if the cooling agent is already over like if the THERMAL PASTE for the CPU is dried up. Another cause could be a "not correct USB voltage" will make hotter after a certain time that makes the device connected to it becomes problematic. Another reasons is the unstable, incorrect voltage or faulty electrical sources can also cause Laptop of getting hot. The reasons of getting sounds distorted is clear that after playing for a while your laptop is getting hotter and if there are conflicts on any of the Peripheral it should not sounds correctly at the beginning.

Mensajes Tue 12 Jun 12 @ 2:55 am
dsn_waad wrote :
If you have a laptop Core i7 with 4 GB of memory, 500 GB of storage space (of which only 15 % is being used).. Memory usage is only at 30%, available USB ports and no port conflicts, yet the sound still gets distorted and crackled

Eh?

Who said anything about having a Core i7 with 4GB RAM, a 500GB HDD etc?

Certainly not me or the original poster.

And my comment was based on fact, not ignorance. Like I said, I experienced it - in person.

Mensajes Tue 12 Jun 12 @ 3:37 pm
I have had this experience with sound going bad several times before.

I use a Core I7 G-series Asus Laptop. And its got nothing to do with overheating.

I have 3 Pro-sound USB devices. 1:Akia APC-20 , 2:Novation Nio 2/4 , 3:Hercules 4MX

If I use any other USB cable other than the one that came with the 4MX. I will get the sound going bad on my 4MX.

Mensajes Wed 13 Jun 12 @ 12:24 am
dsn_waad wrote :
really? That's your response. Laptop gets hot, it does weird things. As a computer engineer, that sounds very ignorant. If you have a laptop Core i7 with 4 GB of memory, 500 GB of storage space (of which only 15 % is being used).. Memory usage is only at 30%, available USB ports and no port conflicts, yet the sound still gets distorted and crackled, then there definitely something wrong with how Virtual DJ is buffering along with the MIDI/HID traffic and/or handling the ASIO API's incorrectly in the system.

Any one from virtual DJ support would like to answer a legit and re-occurring issue in the software?

Correct me if I'm wrong:
If you have the knowledge to understand and therefore mention here how a PC handles the ASIO API's, or MIDI/HID traffic, then you should know better that heat can cause several issues on a PC.
Remember that when a PC gets hot (it doesn't matter why) it tries to get cooler. It speeds up it's fans to the max, and if this isn't sufficient enough then Intel SpeedStep technology will try to lower down the CPU.
When that occurs all time critical processes (DPC) will start "failing" since the CPU refuses to serve them on the highest possible priority.
Now as a Computer Engineer YOU should understand this better than anyone.
Also as a computer engineer you should know better than anyone that laptops can get very hot even if the CPU is almost idle. You should know that the most heat inside a modern laptop is caused by the GPU and not the CPU. You should also know that if you don't place a laptop properly on a hard surface and "block" it's airways (it doesn't need to get them completely blocked, even partial block is enough) the laptop will gradually overheat.
Al these thing are basic knowledge irrelevant to VDJ, but things that a Computer Engineer would know anyways...

Finally:
VirtualDj Home Free version does not support MIDI/HID controllers and ASIO drivers for more than 10 minutes on each session.
I don't want to assume that you use a pirated version of the software, but in case you do, as a computer engineer you should know better than anyone that "injecting code" on an application to bypass it's limits can cause unwanted side-effects.

PS:
My tone is not always like this. But I respond using the same tone you used here. I hope that you will change your attitude so that we can help you more.
Thanks!

Mensajes Wed 13 Jun 12 @ 3:48 am
djnanite wrote :
Hi,

I'm using Virtual DJ Pro 7.0.5b on a laptop running Windows 7 x64 with a pair of Pioneer CDJ400's.

Whenever I play a set, whether it's on my CDJ400's, or on a timecode CD, or a timecode vinyl setup, I always encounter the same problem.

After a random amount of time (could be anything from 10 mins to 2 hours), my songs will start to sound distorted. By this, I mean they sound crackly and muffled, and it will gradually get worse and worse until the song is no longer recognisable - not very nice at all. Sometimes the problem clears itself up if I change tracks really quickly (no good if you've planned a mix), but other times I have to shut down and restart Virtual DJ altogether (definitely not good!!).

This has been happening to me through multiple versions of Virtual DJ, multiple hardware configurations, and many driver updates, but is still a problem even now.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? If so, how do you prevent it from happening?

Thanks for any help you can offer...

One thing that I have learn "the hard way" is that CDJ's don't always play nice with USB hubs. If you're using a USB hub try to avoid it or change it.

Also I would like to suggest you to do a test:
When the problem occurs (sound get distorted) open Configuration and just press "Apply" on the sound settings. This will "reset" the ASIO drivers communication (sound WILL stop for a brief moment). If the problem goes away, then it's a process related issue. If not, then it's another type issue...

Mensajes Wed 13 Jun 12 @ 3:55 am
DjSteveAU wrote :
And its got nothing to do with overheating.

And no one said that overheating was the only cause...

DjSteveAU wrote :

If I use any other USB cable other than the one that came with the 4MX. I will get the sound going bad on my 4MX.

All USB cables are not created equal. If you look very closely, you'll see that some are marked as being hi speed USB, and others are not.

It could simply be that the 4MX cable is hi speed, and your other cables are not.

Mensajes Wed 13 Jun 12 @ 10:59 am
Actually. I would like to put my two cents on this one. Heat can definitely be a culprit but I've found with audio "glitching" you have to be aware of some of the third party lappy software components from the different brands and companies. For example...I have a SONY VAIO that just does not play nice with external audio devices no matter what sound card etc. They have issues with latency and it would seem even after doing tricks etc with the OS and stripping it down, turning off the network card, removing the battery etc etc, I've found that it has more to do with what SONY does to the OS. As soon as a clean version of Windows 7 (meaning OEM) goes on the machine, voila!!! totally different computer.

Has anyone else found this to be the case as well? I can also comment that so far, i have found that ASUS does to overall best job of not screwing too much with OS with all their performance monitors etc that SONY and only sometimes HP does. I have some ASUS machines that are more and less powerful then the SONY and they eat audio and video for breakfast in comparison.

Anyways... just thought I would put it out there that if you can do it, go buy a hard drive and get a copy of Windows 7 PRO OEM and install it on the machine wiping out the other installation. I think you'll find quite the improvement from the get go.

Mensajes Sat 16 Jun 12 @ 6:06 pm
Nah.. As I said, I own 3 "pro-sound" usb devices. All 3 cables are "hi-speed USB"

Mensajes Sat 16 Jun 12 @ 11:24 pm
DjSteveAU wrote :
Nah.. As I said, I own 3 "pro-sound" usb devices.

Actually you own TWO - the Akai APC20 is not a sound card.

Mensajes Sun 17 Jun 12 @ 7:03 am
You got me there... But it still came with a "Hi-Speed" USB cable.

Mensajes Sun 17 Jun 12 @ 10:07 pm
DigiCon wrote :
Has anyone else found this to be the case as well?

Yes, this is very common. Many new computers sold in stores are built with typical home/office users in mind and will not be optimised for demanding low latency applications such as VirtualDJ, so they may perform poorly as a result until they have been optimised. To appear to give greater value for money, they are also often loaded with lots of unnecessary software (Bloatware) that the user will probably never use, which can also cause performance issues.

Please see: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Performance%20Issues.html

A clean, fresh install of Windows from the original Microsoft installation CD's is recommended if you have this option.

Mensajes Mon 18 Jun 12 @ 5:10 am
I am facing exactly the same problem, and it has NOTHING to do with overheating. Actually the problem may occur ony after a couple of minutes. Not much CPU us used, som I don´t believe in overheating. If someone has a proper solution for this, please post!

For instance, should you manually set the latency when running on a 64 bit windows 7 (Intel Icore7)

Mensajes Thu 21 Jun 12 @ 4:39 am
I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one experiencing these issues. To take everyone's suggestions in turn:

groovindj wrote :
I have only ever encountered this many years ago due to my laptop getting too hot.

I have to say, I don't think it's a heat issue. Although my laptop gets hot during performances, this issue has also happened when the laptop is still 'cold' (or at least lukewarm).

groovindj wrote :
Who said anything about having a Core i7 with 4GB RAM, a 500GB HDD etc?

It's a HP HDX-16-1005EA. 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, 1920x1080 display, running Windows 7 x64:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01564177&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3769205

Admittedly it's 3 years old, but then so was Virtual DJ 6 which it originally ran, and I still encountered the same problems way back then too. I hoped the problems would be resolved with the "new sound engine" in Virtual DJ 7, but they weren't.

PhantomDeejay wrote :
One thing that I have learn "the hard way" is that CDJ's don't always play nice with USB hubs. If you're using a USB hub try to avoid it or change it.

I only plug my controllers directly into the laptop's USB ports. If I use timecodes, I plug into the USB Hub on the Hercules DeeJay Trim 4&6 box. The same problem occurs in both configurations.

PhantomDeejay wrote :
All USB cables are not created equal. If you look very closely, you'll see that some are marked as being hi speed USB, and others are not.

Mine are all new Hi-Speed USB cables. I have tried older ones too. The same problem exists regardless of which cables I use.

DigiCon wrote :
...I've found with audio "glitching" you have to be aware of some of the third party lappy software components from the different brands and companies. For example...I have a SONY VAIO that just does not play nice with external audio devices no matter what sound card etc.

The only soundcard I use with Virtual DJ is the Hercules DeeJay Trim 4&6. The internal soundcard on the laptop is still active, but Virtual DJ is not set to use that (so it shouldn't be trying to call it, right...?). Also, I use the latest soundcard drivers with the stock Windows audio control panel interface.

Yep, I've done all the recommended actions. I am using a stock (i.e. not OEM) Windows 7 install. I have specially setup the 'DJ' user profile to not load any unnecessary programs on startup. I have double checked this - it's only running the Hercules Deejay Trim 4&6 audio control panel app. Everything else (anti virus, firewall, and wireless network) has been disabled. I can show you a screenshot of running processes if you wish.

Furthermore, this problem occurs even though the CPU usage bar in VirtualDJ rarely goes above 30%, and only very occasionally hits around 80% (e.g. when it's loading a new track).

PhantomDeejay wrote :
When the problem occurs (sound get distorted) open Configuration and just press "Apply" on the sound settings. This will "reset" the ASIO drivers communication (sound WILL stop for a brief moment). If the problem goes away, then it's a process related issue. If not, then it's another type issue...

OK - I'll try this. Assuming for a moment that this works, and the problem *is* a 'process related issue', what would be the next steps to resolving it?

One last point - and I really hate to say this - but this doesn't happen in Serato Scratch Live.

I much prefer the Virtual DJ interface and want to stick with that. However, when you're playing in a professional club, and people are paying to see *you* perform as a professional, you can't afford to have the music cut out even for a second.

If it comes down to a choice between reliable software with a sucky interface, I will probably have to choose reliability over features.

Please show me that Virtual DJ can be as reliable as Serato.

Mensajes Mon 25 Jun 12 @ 9:50 pm
djnanite wrote :

PhantomDeejay wrote :

OK - I'll try this. Assuming for a moment that this works, and the problem *is* a 'process related issue', what would be the next steps to resolving it?

The next step would be to isolate the process that causes the misbehavior.
However you should first try it to see if it helps or not.
PS: The sound WILL stop for less than a second (as the ASIO resets) and it should be 1 or 2 cycles of your ASIO buffer settings (let's say 10 or 20 ms)
Our issue here is NOT to see how much time it will take to reset. Our issue is to see whether the ASIO drivers communications are interfered by other processes or not.
Troubleshooting the communications "failure" is another thing.

Mensajes Tue 26 Jun 12 @ 3:21 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :

The next step would be to isolate the process that causes the misbehavior.
However you should first try it to see if it helps or not.
PS: The sound WILL stop for less than a second (as the ASIO resets) and it should be 1 or 2 cycles of your ASIO buffer settings (let's say 10 or 20 ms)
Our issue here is NOT to see how much time it will take to reset. Our issue is to see whether the ASIO drivers communications are interfered by other processes or not.
Troubleshooting the communications "failure" is another thing.

OK - I'll try this out next time it happens and let you know. It may be a while before I get back to you...

Mensajes Tue 26 Jun 12 @ 3:54 pm
I found out something or things that might help.

First and far most, it depends on the power consumption of the device and the USB ports.

Per say, if you have a laptop with only two USB ports ect, try these steps.

1. Heat does play a factor on any device. Especially in Audio and Video. Get a cooling fan unit from a retailer and that should help out along with buying a rack for the laptop. Any blockage of the fans will stop air flow and that will definitely cease the laptop's optimum performance.

2. Make sure that the Hercules driver is set to ASIO instead of the WDM option in the DJ config. Push the buffering to what will smooth out the latency and drop issues in the software and hardware. Within the Virtual DJ pro settings under the "performance tab," make sure the settings match the buffer speed of the ASIO driver as well. You might need to play with the time stretch options and sound quality as well.

3. If you are using a PC, go to your USB port settings in your Device manager, un-check all USB serial buses for maximum performance and turn the laptop on it's highest performance.

4. This is what helped me. I purchased a external powered USB hub device and plugged my Hercules RMX mixer in the USB port of the external instead of the actual laptop port. Don't just get any device! Make sure it is AC powered!

My waveforms were flying and graphics and sound were pristine! Beautiful! No latency whats so ever and it moved lighting fast!

Also make sure that you plug the external powered USB device in the same port of where you installed the RMX or any other Hercules product ect. That is important!

If that does not help, purchase the Windows software that you are using and wipe the system clean and repeat those steps listed.

I hope this has helped everyone and to the many who have had this issue before hand. It has happened to me even when using the FX ect.

Blessings everyone and I wish you all success!

Landon A.K.A DJ New Spirit

Mensajes Tue 26 Jun 12 @ 6:56 pm
It happened again at a gig last night.

I tried phantomdeejay's suggestion of hitting the 'Apply' button to reset the ASIO driver, but it didn't help. The sound was still distorted after it cut out for a second. The only thing I could do was restart VirtualDJ.
DJ New Spirit:

dj new spirt wrote :
1. Heat does play a factor on any device. Especially in Audio and Video. Get a cooling fan unit from a retailer and that should help out along with buying a rack for the laptop. Any blockage of the fans will stop air flow and that will definitely cease the laptop's optimum performance.

The laptop was on a raised stand, so all hot air was being blown away. But the fact is, it wasn't that hot. Also, how do you account for the occasions where this happens and the laptop is still 'cold'?

dj new spirt wrote :
2. Make sure that the Hercules driver is set to ASIO instead of the WDM option in the DJ config. Push the buffering to what will smooth out the latency and drop issues in the software and hardware. Within the Virtual DJ pro settings under the "performance tab," make sure the settings match the buffer speed of the ASIO driver as well. You might need to play with the time stretch options and sound quality as well.

Yes, it's all set to ASIO.

I can't really alter the time stretch options because it leads to an unacceptable loss of in audio quality, even when time stretching by a small amount. And the fact that this was working well for nearly an hour before the issue occurred suggests this is not a driver/latency issue. This issue would happen much sooner otherwise.

dj new spirt wrote :
3. If you are using a PC, go to your USB port settings in your Device manager, un-check all USB serial buses for maximum performance and turn the laptop on it's highest performance.

Yep, it's all set to max.

dj new spirt wrote :
4. This is what helped me. I purchased a external powered USB hub device and plugged my Hercules RMX mixer in the USB port of the external instead of the actual laptop port. Don't just get any device! Make sure it is AC powered!

That's a physical impossibility. If the limiting factor is your laptop USB port, and you plug a powered USB hub into it, the laptop's USB port will still be the bottleneck.

Also, the Deejay Trim 4&6 is actually an AC powered USB hub anyway, so I don't think your suggestion would apply in this instance.

dj new spirt wrote :
If that does not help, purchase the Windows software that you are using and wipe the system clean and repeat those steps listed.

Well, it's a very minimal system configuration anyway. I have 15 years experience of configuring and supporting Windows PC's, so I'm quite familiar with how to make the system lean and efficient. I can't make it any more lean.

So what's the next step here? Raise a support ticket? I can't have this happen again during a gig. I need reliable software.

Mensajes Fri 13 Jul 12 @ 6:39 pm
51%