Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Multi-genre DJs

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

How many of you out there spin multi-genre in your sets ? Does it mean that you are more skilled in the art of mixing if you spin multi-genre ?

Mensajes Wed 24 Sep 03 @ 9:01 pm
DJ CocoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don`t think so.. I think a good dj is the one who is able to play good music under different situtations. And good music is the one people like in each party.

Mensajes Wed 24 Sep 03 @ 9:15 pm
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
I do it all the time. I go from Lo-Fi to house to techno and even have no fear of puting a litle peace of Vivaldi in my sets.

Mensajes Wed 24 Sep 03 @ 10:17 pm
I want to hear that nscode!!! really!!!! :oD

GnoedeL

Mensajes Thu 25 Sep 03 @ 4:26 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You should listen to my 52 track mix. Will be available soon on djhomeboyrocks.com

alternatively if you type in soulwax 6 into soulseek some of the mixes on there are mine. Its the one that starts with DJ Sammi (dont worry I only use that track as a joke for about 10 seconds then straight into something mind blowing)

check out this thread

http://www.atomixmp3.com/forum/display.html?topic=9719

Rock and roll, hip-hop, drum and bass, easy listening, chill out, dance, electro, techno.

Weezer, Miss Kitten, Del Shannon, Chemical Brothers, Booker T and the MG's, Gary Glitter, Andy C. The list goes on....

Mensajes Thu 25 Sep 03 @ 7:32 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I play from Elvis to Panjabi MC,
and from House to Greek music and ethnik...
5 nights a week !

Mensajes Thu 25 Sep 03 @ 7:48 pm
i play various genres of electronica in my sets all comming from various media. I play Techno / Acid / Psy / NuNrg / Hardstyle / Hardcore/Breakbeats all in my sets, all comming from vinyl/atomix/live p.a.

I dont think it makes you a better dj, although learning how to ACTUALLY MIX breakbeats over top of a 4/4 is a good skill to have...and it sounds absolutely great.

Also, i find a dj who plays multiple genres MUCH less boring. I don't perticularly enjoy listening to the same thing over and over again for an hour.

check this set for example:

http://www.bacchusravecore.com/harderbaby.mp3

Mensajes Thu 25 Sep 03 @ 7:49 pm
ive got soulseek up and running again

my username is: Jukesy

download soulwax 6 (not too many djs part 6)

Mensajes Thu 25 Sep 03 @ 7:53 pm
GnoedeL, i'll try to record smthing and upload, but not soon... I'm too busy now... It should be done by mid-October :)

Mensajes Thu 25 Sep 03 @ 9:16 pm
Nice 1 Homeboy.

Most appreciated.

32 Tracks is correct. But there are 52 songs in the set.

ill post the tracklisting in a couple of days

Mensajes Fri 26 Sep 03 @ 8:48 pm
One of the thing I noticed about the other posts in this thread is that the people who spin different "genres" are all spinning stuff within the same BPM range. That's pretty simple. I spin a Saturday night club gig in Chicago from 1am -4am. I cover a range of BPM's from 60-145 and styles from Easy Listening, Top 40, Rock, Hip-Hop, Rap, Old School, House, Euro, Progressive, Trance, Happy Hardcore, Hardcore and eveything else in between. That's not so simple. I think the most important thing in mixing is keeping a sensible flow in the energy and level of your music. Anyone can slam one progressive tune to another at 140 beats per minute and be a DJ. Keeping a crowd going for 3 hours hitting all corners of the musical globe and satisfying a large number of musical tastes is quite a task and comes with experience and musical knowledge. My next goal: do it all harmonically..haha! Keep spinnin'

The Goner.

Mensajes Fri 26 Sep 03 @ 10:36 pm
@Goner

Good observation. No dis-respect to any DJ here since everyone can be an artist in their own right. But I do agree that there is something to be said about an ability to mix different genres and that some genres are incredibly easy to mix..... just look at VirtualDJ's ability to autoMix .... which genre does it work best with ? [:o)

I mentioned Harmonic mixing in some other threads... it is definately the next level and commands much respect.

Mensajes Sat 27 Sep 03 @ 6:11 am
I agree with you Goner, i noticed that years before,
playing songs with the same tempo/style does not always guarantee that you keep your audience ''up'' and happy.
There must be hidden secrets in every song, and every song has its own ''energy'' and ''feeling'' that's why
a song with low tempo or a poor orchestration can make you
dance more than a fast or a ''made for dancing'' song.
The trick is to keep and/or control this energy and feeling
in your music.

Mensajes Sat 27 Sep 03 @ 6:41 pm
what exactly do you mean by ''Harmonic mixing'' ?

Mensajes Sat 27 Sep 03 @ 6:44 pm
@apopsis:

Harmonic mixing means taking songs that are recoreded in different keys, compensating for the pitch change, and mixing songs that will sound harmonically pleasant. You notice that when you mix two songs whose keys do not mix harmonically, that you an easily tell when one song is being switched to the other...it sounds out of key. The trick is to learn scales and arpeggios, find the keys of your songs and mix songs that fall sensibly into a scale or arpeggio. This require great knowledge of your music, as well as a general understanding of music theory. Virtual DJ's comment ability makes it easy to mark your songs with their respective keys for easy harmonic mixing. This post might be more suited to the mixing lessons forum but I've seen you ask this question in 3 different forums with no answer. Hope this helps.

Mensajes Mon 29 Sep 03 @ 7:46 pm
Can you or someone give a few examples of songs that go togetger and some MP3s of them mixed, but just the part that is mixed, so that people with lower Internet bandwidth can download it.

Mensajes Tue 30 Sep 03 @ 7:03 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)