Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Alternative device definition fle for native devices VirtualDJ8

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hello,
I would like to use an alternate device definition file for my device(s).
These are supported by VDJ7 and VDJ8.
In VDJ7 I could write my own device definition file and it would overrule the internal supported devices.
However, with VDJ8 this does not seem to work anymore. VDJ doesn't find these alternate devices and revert to their default device.
I really would like to use my alternative device definition file for they provide better control over the analog knobs (sliders/jogwheel) than the default ones.

Please note I am well aware of the difference between the controller definition file and the mapping. This question is about the first :-)
I am not looking to alter the controller mapping, this can be done within VDJ itself once VDJ sees the alternate device.

The wiki @ http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Controller_Definition.html
stated VDJ 6 + VDJ 7 , but not VDJ 8 and give the fact a lot has changed in VDJ 8 , I recon this could have been altered aswell.

Please let me know if any of you already experienced with device definition files for VDJ 8.

Mensajes Sat 05 Jul 14 @ 1:33 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
In theory, if you name your custom definition as force-anyname.xml it should override the default one. I had tried that once, it didnt work, os if it doesnt for you as well, i ll report it as bug.

alternatively, you can always disable the default definitions, if you set the disableBuiltindevices setting to yes

Mensajes Sat 05 Jul 14 @ 8:55 pm
Thanks a lot, I will give this a shot asap and let you know the outcome.

Mensajes Sun 06 Jul 14 @ 6:14 am
The force-filename.xml option works. I didn't have to disable to built in devices.
The device and mapper will overrule the internal devices, just as I wanted.
VDJ7 and VDJ8 now both work with my custom device and mapper.

I've notices something strange though.
The given device name in the device xml is discarded in VDJ8.
VDJ7 shows the device name as stated in the XML, but VDJ8 refers the device name and the mapping from the file name of the mapping

Example :
devices folder : force-mydevice.xml
in this file the XML Tag states : <device name="MYCONTROLLER" author="Me" type="HID" decks="1" vid="0x1234" pid="0x0100" reportsize="32">

mapping folder : ThisIsMyDevice.xml

VDJ7 will show the mapper : MYCONTROLLER
VDJ8 will show the device : (ThisIsMyDevice) and the mapping : ThisIsMyDevice
Note the added () with the device.

So VDJ8 discards the xml tag in the device xml and uses the filename of the mapper xml.
Thus, If I name the mapper xml file to the same I use in the XML tag it shows the proper name.

This seems to be a minor graphical glitch and perhaps VDJ8 reads the device name from a different xml tag not yet on the wiki.
It is functional though and I can continue with VDJ8 using my custom devices. Thanks !

Mensajes Sun 06 Jul 14 @ 1:04 pm
added note :
I needed to remove or rename the conflicting mapping file device - custom mapping.xml first else it couldn't properly show the device name and just says
device (custom mapping)
mapping custom mapping

Mensajes Sun 06 Jul 14 @ 1:06 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
add description="anynameyou want" in the <device > line of the definition
Version 7 will probably disregard this (it doesnt use it) and version 8 will use that name

Mensajes Mon 07 Jul 14 @ 9:05 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)