Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: CDJ2ks dropping out on VDJ8

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I don't have these units, so bear with me. Do both of these units have usb cables going to the laptop, or are they daisy chained, and only one usb cable to the laptop?

Mensajes Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 12:25 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Could you please try the following, next time this happens...
- goto Config->CONTROLLERS tab.
- right-click on the CDJ2000Nexus and choose "Reconnect"
- do that for the other unit as well.

Let us know if that works. In most of the cases, MIDI controllers lose connection with computer for a moment (e.g. due to a slight voltage drop) and automatic re-connection doesnt work in these cases (too fast to know if a controller has been disconnected)

PS. You should also try to use the latest beta build, since there has been a small change/fix for the Midi Out re-connection.

Mensajes Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 2:09 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Thanks for the help djdad, will update and try to reconnect in the software itself should this happen again.

To answer your question Rick, my laptop only has 3 usb ports, the DJM2000 (soundcard) and my powered external drive connect directly, whilst the CDJs both connect via a powered USB hub.

Mensajes Thu 05 Mar 15 @ 8:05 am
Tonight I had the worst gig experience ever, and just to be clear I'm not blaming VDJ for this at all.

This is the first time the following has occurred on this set-up/w these settings.

I lost sound 3 times during the night, the sound would gradually become extremely distorted and after about 20 seconds the sound would cut out entirely, VDJ and the CDJ's were still responding (except deck control due to the soundcard in the DJM2000).

VDJ8 stopped twice, and VDJ7 once, for VDJ7 I increased the latency of the DJM and enabled safe mode, but the issue persisted.

After the 3rd sound dropout/audio crash, I restarted the laptop and noticed for the DJM2000 windows came up with "device is not functioning properly", opening VDJ8 again and of course no sound, after several laptop restarts it finally worked again. But I didn't go live I let the back-up mix finish the night, just to be safe.

So first I was losing deck control, and now tonight it was the DJM, and I've tried VDJ7 & 8. The only constant is the usb dropouts/errors that are occurring.

I'm looking for a PC expert to help me here, I have two theories (and I'm no expert)

First theory: The laptop has three usb ports, one or two of them are usb3, I know it's said that usb2 is compatible with usb3, but I've also read that they both use different amounts of power. If the computer/technology isn't perfected yet and the power isn't always correct I believe this would be enough to cause an issue for live DJ use.

This article touches on the subject:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/usb-3-0-backwards-compatible-in-theory-but-some-audio-drivers-arent-cooperating/

My second theory is that perhaps as the laptop is aging, only in gig/usage terms (it's done around 450 gigs), perhaps the ports aren't as well powered as they once was. It's an i7 laptop and it still runs very fast without any major cpu increases.

Really hope to find a solid answer/solution to this, I could go out and buy a new laptop but it would be upsetting to part with that kind of cash, and the issue to persist.

Mensajes Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 6:45 pm
Just a few questions:
Did your booth experience too many vibrations?
Have you tried to use/purchase new USB cables?
When was the last time you formatted your laptop?
If you haven't formatted it since your initial purchase do you use a clean installation of the OS or you're still with the "factory default" ?
Finally, does your booth have a power conditioner / stabilizer ?
Oh, and 1 more: Does all these errors occur on the same location/club?

Mensajes Thu 12 Mar 15 @ 8:24 pm

I wouldn't say so, there's no large speakers in the area or booth monitor, but I'll try to monitor this tonight.
I haven't tried replacing usb cables, but will do this.
This laptop hasn't been formatted since purchase, it's a dedicated machine that doesn't see many changes.
I've modified it for performance as best as I know, such as altering the power options to max and running windows in the older XP theme.

As far as I know there's no power conditioner in the booth.
Yes these issues are all occuring at the same location on the same laptop, before this residency I was using a controller set-up so I can't really compare this location with another fairly.

The laptop is no stranger to usb dropouts though, I've had the odd issue on a range of devices in recent months, but nothing quite as serious as this.

Mensajes Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 6:26 am
I am more of an electronics expert rather than DJ expert, first of all.
I am doing power electronics development in the area of audio.
I don't know much about your equipment but does any of them use external AC/DC switchmode powersupplies?
When those gets old, secondary caps dries up, ESR goes up and filtering suffer. This might even increase radiated EMI / EMC / RFI while supplying your audio equipment with not a clean DC.

Mensajes Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 8:45 am
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Are you using CDJ2000 with Windows XP?

Test your gear with a different laptop, man!
... With Windows 7 or higher.

Mensajes Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 6:12 pm

I'm running windows 7 but I've stripped it back for maximum performance, so it appears like XP.

Mensajes Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 7:18 pm
To me it sounds like you need to optimize your pc more than just the power options, there is a thread somewhere in forums to show you how to optimize your pc for audio, you may also wanna download razer cortex it was designed for gamers but works fantastic for audio as well, unless your pc is a power house make sure your wifi and Bluetooth are turned off and make sure your USB ports are not set to sleep, those three things will cause audio dropouts

Mensajes Tue 12 May 15 @ 6:12 pm

Mensajes Tue 12 May 15 @ 6:29 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
If you are still chasing this issue, I would try removing some devices. Copy some of your music library directly onto the laptop. Run the DJM and CDJ's directly from the laptop without the hub or external drives.
Then add the hub
Then one drive at a time.
Check for new drivers (I wouldn't expect this to be an issue if it wasn't before)
Test the hard drives with dedicated drive testing software. If a drive is failing, it could keep connecting and disconnecting from the bus quickly.
Check your error report log for hardware errors. See if it shows USB disconnects or missing hardware.
EDIT: I typed all that and realized I should have put the error report part at the top to save time.

Mensajes Wed 13 May 15 @ 9:47 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)