Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: ContentUnlimited

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Before i sign up can someone answer these for me?
I tried searching a song (UK number 1) SIGALA and got "No official content found for 'SIGALA', VirtualDJ would get these tracks from NetSearch."
1) Does net search for music work in same way i.e right click to cache it for offline use (requiring periodic net access to refresh DRM)
2) can i copy files to backup pc if they have drm (is DRM per account or per machine)
3) would VDJ7 (latest release) also play these if downloaded in VDJ8 ( do they look in same folders)
Ideally download on home pc to transfer to laptops.

Thank you

Mensajes Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 1:14 pm
The UK content is very poor. I have searched for many top 10 songs and got nothing. Seems to be very US centric at the moment.

Mensajes Tue 22 Sep 15 @ 9:39 am
Yeah i,m finding that too

Mensajes Tue 22 Sep 15 @ 10:00 am
But here's the thing - you shouldn't need to get top 10 tracks from CU if you're a working DJ. You should've bought them weeks ago.

I can understand the bedroom DJs (Home users) relying on CU for everything, and not wanting to buy tracks, but the guys who are out earning money from DJing?

Tighter than a camel's butt in a sandstorm! :-)

Mensajes Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 8:24 am
Why would i want to buy the top 10 every week, most of it is pants and would never get played. CU would be good for those you may only ever play once. Maybe you buy the complete top 40 too?
Maybe 4 songs good enough in that to be played more than once
Nothing to do with being tight.

Mensajes Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 9:55 am
Why? Because you're a professional DJ. If you consider modern music to be "pants" then maybe it's time to retire or find a new career!

Maybe you only do gigs that cater for older clients (in which case you shouldn't need those tracks even via CU) . Some of us play to young people too, and they always want chart stuff.

Besides, before I even got into DJing I was an avid music fan and collector (and still am). I consider that to be an essential part of a DJs credentials. That alone should be a good enough reason to have the top chart tracks. If it's in the chart, I make sure I've got it. Usually before it charts, as I also check the radio playlists and new releases.

If (you think) it'll never get played, then you don't need it to be on CU. No one is ever going to ask for it, right? And even if they do, it'll only ever be once so just say you don't have it.

I don't see the issue. Either it's good enough to own (so it doesn't need to be on CU) or it's pants and you'll never need it (so it doesn't need to be on CU). :-)

Mensajes Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 12:02 pm
groovindj wrote :
If you consider modern music to be "pants" then maybe it's time to retire or find a new career!

So to be a professional DJ you have to like the top 40 do you. I guess there has never been a bad record released. Utter nonsense some are good some are not worth me buying simple as that.

Mensajes Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 1:32 pm
No, that's not what I said. You started this thread by saying that Sigala wasn't available on CU.

Not only is the track in the chart, but it's been number one. I would say that it's pretty important for a mobile DJ to have any track that's been number one in which ever country they're working. Once it's hit that position, there's far more chance that somebody will ask you to play it.

For a DJ not to already have it, or to be relying on a streaming/rental service to access it is (IMO) crazy. Not very professional - again, IMO.

Mensajes Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 1:53 pm
Sorry i don't get that.
Why is a streaming service that can be cached and stored like any other music on your pc not very professional?
You still have a file that plays in the same way.
Just a different way of having music.
A bit like saying playing mp3 tracks is not as professional as playing vinyl.

And the first post re SIGALA was just an example, the first song i tried to see if it had it. I never implied i never had the song

Mensajes Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 2:20 pm
paulpa66 wrote :
Why is a streaming service that can be cached and stored like any other music on your pc not very professional?
I'm not saying the service itself is unprofessional. I'm saying that a DJ relying on rented music as his main library when he's earning money from gigs is (to me) not very professional.

[quote=paulpa66]You still have a file that plays in the same way.

Only if you cache it first. Preferably prior to the gig, using a reliable connection. Assuming it's available on CU. Plus the file is never actually yours.

I would be saying the same thing if (in the 80s) a DJ was out earning money playing vinyl that didn't belong to him. That he'd borrowed from somewhere.

IMO a DJ should own his music. It's the main tool of his trade.

I do agree on one thing though. The content is certainly not "unlimited". :-)

Mensajes Sat 26 Sep 15 @ 4:51 pm
groovindj wrote :

I would be saying the same thing if (in the 80s) a DJ was out earning money playing vinyl that didn't belong to him. That he'd borrowed from somewhere.

IMO a DJ should own his music. It's the main tool of his trade.

Times change, technology changes, and the way we use that technology changes. Don't consider someone non professional because they embrace it differently to yourself.

And yes is is content limited in UK

Mensajes Sun 27 Sep 15 @ 9:03 am
I disagree with you Groovin'

My gig is once a fortnight (maybe more) in a late night venue with live music. I play just over two and a half hours to a predominantly over 40s crowd.

It would be insane for me to have even the top 10 on the off chance that someone *might* ask for something in the top 10 that is playable at my venue.

Songs come and go in minutes these days, and for what I get paid it would be a complete waste to buy a single I might play once and then it disappears in to the ether.

I use either our Russian friends or a link to Spotify, and if I play the track and like it or it will be requested more then I would buy it.

Having every track in the charts is fine if you are playing a chart music or commercial venue, but for my type of gig it's insane.

And finally, the content unlimited service is pretty poor IMO and Atomix don't really care about it. They are just interested in the turnover it brings.

Mensajes Tue 29 Sep 15 @ 6:19 pm
Perhaps you missed the part in my 2nd post where I said if playing to an older crowd it wouldn't be required...

:-)

Mensajes Tue 29 Sep 15 @ 6:39 pm
Well here is an example. A gig last weekend client asked for I'm forever blowing bubble by West Ham Utd. Did i have it? NO so i had to buy it, will i ever play it again? i really hope not, so that would have been a CU download.

Mensajes Tue 29 Sep 15 @ 6:52 pm

Mensajes Wed 30 Sep 15 @ 5:00 pm
I am having problems at gigs with no internet access. I get a cache expired message which can bring things to a halt. Can I refresh all DRM's ahead of the gig in bulk? How do I do that?

Mensajes Mon 22 Feb 16 @ 12:38 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)