Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: KEY DETECTION COMPARISON 2021

Mensajes Thu 23 Dec 21 @ 8:08 pm
Saw that earlier. No use to me anyway as I actually have ears that work.

Mensajes Thu 23 Dec 21 @ 8:28 pm
I find it hard to believe that VDJ is so low on the list.

If/when I choose to mix with keys, I very rarely have a problem, and that includes shifting the keys up or down to match, and also fuzzy key mixing.

Mensajes Thu 23 Dec 21 @ 10:03 pm
in this similar previous VDJ thread
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/236330/VirtualDJ_Technical_Support/Why_is_VDJ_Keys_VERY_different_from_Mixed_In_Key_.html?page=2

I re-post this comment interesting, from Yakov of Mixed in Key:

Yakov wrote :
There's a really interesting thing that happens with key detection that I wanted to share. If I give the same track to 2 musicians, they will agree with each other about 70% of the time. Pick any random 2 people, give them a track, and they will hear the same key in 7/10 tracks. But for the other 3 out of 10 tracks, the first musician may say "this is C Major", and the second musician may say "this is A Minor". This happens 30% of the time.

We've never been able to find 2 humans who agree with each other more than 70% of the time on average. It's crazy. My guess it that people hear music differently, and there are probably "clusters" of different hearing types among us. Unless people are from the same cluster of hearing, they can't agree with each other 100%.

and looking at the spread sheet I do see that they are using the 6747 version of VDJ. (in the 2019 test they had used an outdated version of VDJ.)

And there are many tracks, in the test, that NONE of the detection softwares got the key correct.
examples tracks :
808 State - Pacific State.flac
A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It_ (Extended Boilerhouse Mix).flac
Afrika Bambaataa - Mind Control (Danmass Instrumental Mix).mp3

And for my use of the key for a track: All I care is that the software detects 2 tracks as having the same Key, and does not matter one bit, if not the same, as what the human ear would say is the correct key... since I am using the key to key-match 2 tracks together.

And I have Mixed-In-Key software and do NOT use it, since VDJ works flawlessly for all my needs.

------------------
PS And of course the assumption is made that each track has only ONE key, and how the algo chooses to interpret variations. (even BPM cannot be detected perfectly)

And when someone makes a request for track in the key of, Gm, then and only then would the accuracy to the human ear's detection of the key (which is not always perfect) maybe be important. [smiles]

Mensajes Thu 23 Dec 21 @ 11:03 pm
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
All I care is that the software detects 2 tracks as having the same Key

That's the important part. Use one software for all your analysis.

99% of the time I find the keys VDJ detects don't conflict. I can mix from track to track with no clashes (I do check by ear in cue after picking a track anyway).

Last week though, I did encounter a pair of tracks which clashed despite both being shown as the same key. At the time I planned to run them both through MIK - but ended up forgetting.

Mensajes Fri 24 Dec 21 @ 9:04 am
I can believe this....VDJ actually has the lowest analysis quality of all the dj softwares Ive used. It has advanced a lot over time but still has a long way to go to match the others....

Mensajes Fri 24 Dec 21 @ 8:45 pm
Wow! I just found that comparison now in 2022. I actually encouraged the creator of KeyFinder to reach out to VDJ and see if Atomix could work with him on integrating his algorithm into the software since KeyFinder is on par with the leading alternatives. Unfortunately Atomix turned him down.🤷🏾‍♂️ VDJ's key detection was unuseable the last time I tried it. I basically did a comparison of my collection under KeyFinder and under VDJ's algorithm. It was mindblowing how far off VDJ was in comparison! I have been a KeyFinder user for years. Not to mention the dev over at Yate (THE best mp3 tagging software for mac imho) went so far as to integrate KeyFinder directly into his own software streamlining my mp3 tagging workflow. Hopefully Atomix will step their game up or bring in developers who can improve their Key detection algorith. (If they haven't already)

Mensajes Thu 28 Jul 22 @ 1:53 pm