Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Debug latency issues - Page: 2
user26697086 wrote :
I have these issues on 2 different Dell laptops on using pioneer sx2 and the other dp2 the laptops are both brand new and are inspirations any help the issue sounds like a helicopter in the back ground

Are you sure your latency is set high enough?
Adjusting the buffer size is always the first step

If so, then you basically need to follow all the advice above

- My first try would be to uninstall everything made by Dell - especially the software installer (but look out - it tends to sneak back in when making other updates)

- My second try would be to re-install windows from scratch and keep the install at a minimum - and then again make sure anything made by Dell is removed after install

(BTW: "Brand new laptop" is always a bit of a red flag, since it often means pre-installed windows, bloatware and not having been optimized for real-time audio processing)

Mensajes Sat 17 Jun 23 @ 10:30 am
how high should it be set to

Mensajes Sun 18 Jun 23 @ 9:55 pm
The first setting where you don't get any issues basically.

Mensajes Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 12:40 am
Mine is usually at 512, or 256 on some controllers/drivers
But you may need to go to 1024 or 2048

Mensajes Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 6:40 am
I have a pretty powerful Dell laptop and i had terrible issue with audio dropouts straight out of the box.
Thankfully 20 years working in IT helps me with getting the best performance out of the laptop.

Many have mentioned before but i will reiterate once again, all new laptops come with a range of OEM and bundled software which do nothing than make them slower and hogs resources.

For your case, at a very minimum uninstall everything Dell related in the add/remove programs window.
I would also go further and uninstall dolby applications for the sound etc as they will have no effect on what you are doing with the laptop and probably make it worse, I also removed things like onedrive (or at least disable it).

The single most important changes you can make are to go into the Bios and disable things like Intel Speedstep etc which can hinder performance as they will try to force the laptop to save power etc.

Lastly i then setup a group policy to disable automatic windows updates, as this will stop your laptop deciding it wants to download and install stuff halfway through your set.

Mensajes Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 9:35 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Quote :
The single most important changes you can make are to go into the Bios and disable things like Intel Speedstep etc which can hinder performance as they will try to force the laptop to save power etc.

Certainly one of the last things to try if you tried everything else already. I wouldn't recommend doing this for starters, as disabling speedstep will increase heat and power consumption, and on modern cpu's also prevent the boost frequencies to be reached. So in total it might end up running slower, and because of the extra heat even risks slowing down further anyway if it would become too hot.

Mensajes Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 9:43 am
Many laptops have severely restricted BIOS though, and it's not easy to unlock it to get all the relevant settings.

Mensajes Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 10:00 am
Adion wrote :
Certainly one of the last things to try if you tried everything else already. I wouldn't recommend doing this for starters, as disabling speedstep will increase heat and power consumption, and on modern cpu's also prevent the boost frequencies to be reached. So in total it might end up running slower, and because of the extra heat even risks slowing down further anyway if it would become too hot.

This will be different per model of laptop depending on their cooling ability, but for me disabling speedstep ensures that my CPU can run faster more of the time and stops throttling. Yes the trade off is that it could run hotter, but i only run VDJ and i noticed no increase in heat even after a 6 hr set. Bare in mind most djs nowadays will run their laptop on some kind of dj stand which normally will ensure the best cooling.

Mensajes Mon 19 Jun 23 @ 10:15 am