Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: What's your take on Fuzzy Keymixing?
I think the term may have been invented by DDJT. It's described here:
https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2021/01/fuzzy-keymixing-the-new-way-to-dj/?utm_source=site&utm_medium=article&utm_campaign=links

In other words it's loosening the rules for when a track can be seen as fit for key mixing with the current track - or how little you need to change the key of the incoming track to get a key "match" with the playing track

Do you guys agree with the idea?
Or should we stay with the more "purist" key mixing rules (same key, the dominant key, the sub-dominant key, or the relative key)?

Mensajes Tue 23 Aug 22 @ 2:34 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Just a small note, the article mentions not to use the key match button, but in VirtualDJ by default keys are already matched more smartly by
1. limit the key change to +1/-1 to make sure it's not sounding too crazy
2. accept a change that is compatible, not just results in an identical key (according to the more classical rules)

This already means that each track can already be played with compatible keys for 9 other keys instead of 3.

It might be interesting to experiment a bit with diagonal keys on the camelot wheel as well, but I'm not sure if it will sound that much better compared to just keeping the tracks in their original keys.

Mensajes Tue 23 Aug 22 @ 2:55 pm
Yes...
The easiest may be to have an option for which match method to use?

Mensajes Tue 23 Aug 22 @ 3:07 pm
I'm open to fuzzy mixing. It can often work, but of course it's always best to use your ears as a final confirmation that it sounds OK.

Mensajes Tue 23 Aug 22 @ 9:09 pm
depends on the type of mixing don't it? not every song needs it, not every genre demands it. I know that sounds horribly bad to the purists but most dancefloors don't care as long as they can continue their sound and alcohol fueled mating ritual.
if the floor's moving - it just doesn't matter

Mensajes Tue 23 Aug 22 @ 10:41 pm
I agree with you 100%. I rarely mix when I'm doing gigs - but the question wasn't "do you think mixing is necessary?". If or when you mix, do you use the standard method or fuzzy method?

Mensajes Wed 24 Aug 22 @ 5:26 pm
DJMBR01PRO InfinityMember since 2015
It's another weapon in the arsenal...right weapons for the right encounters!

Mensajes Thu 25 Aug 22 @ 12:58 am
How do you enable Fuzzy Key Mixing?

Mensajes Mon 01 Apr 24 @ 6:21 pm
In the Settings search for Fuzzy.

If you have the Camelot Key column visible in the browser and make it wide enough to show the circled tick or add the Key Difference column. There will be some tracks showing the tick dull or bright. Enabling Fuzzy Key Mixing in the Settings, the same list of songs will show many more available for key mixing.

Mensajes Mon 01 Apr 24 @ 6:51 pm