Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: DJs using automix when playing live ..... thoughts? - Page: 1
Went in to town last Saturday and had a wander about. In a couple of UK chain pubs (one Stonegate and one Greene King) the DJs were plainly using automix as the songs were mixing in unusual places (commensurate with the fade, remove intro/outro) and all with the same fade settings.

No issues using Automix during background or dinner for example, but I'd never dream of using it when I'm actually supposed to be "working". The gigs basically sounded like a jukebox and the venues could have saved a fortune just using their Rolec systems.

Thoughts?

Mensajes Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 4:23 pm
Takes the fun out of being a DJ in my opinion.

That being said I've gone in to small bars with a guy set up on two high top tables, without a legit space/booth to set up, and let Spotify play. Might be getting paid with a bar tab so there's minimal effort.

Mensajes Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 8:10 pm
I worked for a multi-op for 7 years as a resident DJ at a busy Hotel. I sometimes used Automix as a warmup prior to the night's main events or the buffet. I would never dream of using it for the main part of the evening. We had one 'DJ' who only used Automix for everything. His excuse was the money was crap, so...... No matter how crap the money was I could never bring myself to do that, it's not DJing.

10 years ago one of my local Disco Pubs had a DJ that did that. The owner discovered he had a playlist for Friday nights and one for Saturday nights He was then banned from using his laptop to DJ with, unfortunately, so were all his other DJs. There's a time and a place that springs to mind.

Mensajes Thu 20 Apr 23 @ 11:06 pm
It’s our job to educate whoever hired him because that’s where it starts . It’s our job to show the owners the value in a “DJ” who actually mixes during their set.

I think the general public is starting to pay more attention because they see us on social media everyday (not us in general but what djs do). But in order to beat guys like that, unfortunately we have to prove we the way we mix is better!

Mensajes Fri 21 Apr 23 @ 8:59 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
That's chain pubs all over, well at least for the UK, it's pretty much policy to have bad dj who works for a tab.
so long as only a few punters leave then entertainment budget is spent, and bar takings are up marginally.

Mensajes Sat 22 Apr 23 @ 1:50 pm
automix is just another tool we have in the arsenal. use or don't.
is it useful - yes.
is it something i use in case of emergency - YES!
is it something i use live - no.
is it something i critique others for using - not unless they don't know how to use it and obviously didn't read the manual. (which has happened - i was out for a week after surgery and the idiot they put in there straight up lied about knowing how to use the software)

All that being said... we already know '50-quid-Sid' is gonna do it. might as well show the idiots that hired em just WHY their place is empty - play ya music, empty the compitition, sleep the sleep of the just.

Mensajes Sun 23 Apr 23 @ 6:16 pm
gabycorreaPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2010
when you have background music (ambient) and in a very orderly way ... yes
for me it is the way to use it
when you have to fill the dance floor and keep it going all night.....no
there is the difference
professional dj or amateur dj without ideas

Mensajes Sun 23 Apr 23 @ 11:02 pm
If everything is set up right and you aren't taking song requests then Auto-Mix can sound as good or better than a Pro DJ. I am new to "DJing" and Auto-Mix speeds up the process of building sets. Really good DJ's can add some effects while using Auto-Mix with a controller. Pretty soon Auto-Mix will arrange the sets to sound the most harmonic and in phrase. I'm already discovering that some of my sets are perfectly in Phrase by luck and other times they are just in key.

Mensajes Mon 24 Apr 23 @ 9:42 am
user26547980 wrote :
If everything is set up right and you aren't taking song requests then Auto-Mix can sound as good or better than a Pro DJ. I am new to "DJing" and Auto-Mix speeds up the process of building sets. Really good DJ's can add some effects while using Auto-Mix with a controller. Pretty soon Auto-Mix will arrange the sets to sound the most harmonic and in phrase. I'm already discovering that some of my sets are perfectly in Phrase by luck and other times they are just in key.

As good or better than a dj? NO. I have those djs that fill in for me when i go on vacation every 4 months. They use automix and When i come back the customers and venue tell me how bad it was.

Mensajes Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 2:06 am
Maybe they are just using Auto-Mix and not preparing the sets. Any set that is Key and Phrase matched will sound excellent but not always. I have discovered by ear that when something is in Key it won't sound as good as bringing in another track of a different key. The software will tell you if they are in Key and Phrase but it's the human ear to make the final determination of what sounds good. Either these DJ's aren't real DJ's or they don't know how to add effects and use controllers. Hopefully you can find a good DJ that knows how to do more than just Auto-Mix because being a DJ is more than just using one feature of the software. How bad are these so called DJ's? Are your customers telling you how the vocals overlap or beats clash? Maybe they have bad taste in music or don't know how to use effects. They may not be using many features of the software that work well with Auto-Mix. I never use Auto-Mix or Smart Auto-Mix by itself because it sounds worse than terrible. I would love to DJ for you for free with a pre-made set just to see how bad I sound compared to real DJ's. Who would pay to go to a venue without a known DJ and hopefully you aren't paying these DJ's?

Mensajes Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 3:10 am
user26547980 wrote :

Your not serious are you?? Youve got to be trolling lmao!!

Mensajes Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 3:08 pm
For chop "mixes" maybe but sounding as though it's live is outwith the capabilities of the automix editor.

Mensajes Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 3:34 pm
"I would love to DJ for you for free with a pre-made set just to see how bad I sound..."

Good idea
----->
Upload it to ytube and let us know.

Mensajes Wed 26 Apr 23 @ 7:07 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
In a world where the use of AI (ie automation without human) increases more and more, it is in fact a good question. As said above, automix is just an additional automation/help/assistance in the DJ tools box.
I think it's in fact linked to the behavior of the "DJ", of his employer if he has one and the most important the impact on people/customers.

1) Behavior of the DJ/employer
As in every jobs, you have those that are professional, serious, and invested in their jobs, those with diploma, skills, and those who knows how to be paid more by doing less and be friend with their boss. At the end of a working life who is smarter... I let you judge based on your own experience of life. The boss who keeps this employee has a part of responsibility and the fact to use a robot/AI instead of human is mainly linked to profitability.

2) Impact on people
Being a DJ is the fact to give, by sound/video and emotions to people to my mind. It's a show. Giving a good moment, a feeling, energy, mood and let a good experience to customers.
Let's take the example of a famous singer who focuses on the show/dances instead of singing. At the end, you will have 2 groups of people (both paid to see him). Those who will say that he didn't sing and those who will say the show was great, clothes, colors, lights, dancers, ...
For the DJ, it is similar, if you use automix but you focus on taking the microphone, make fun with people, moving, telling happy birthday, looking at people reaction, if they dance or not, ... your added value compared to AI/robot. It's the customer experience that makes the difference. You have to be in line with what you sold to them: a good moment or a scratch competition. Of course, if you do nothing, when automix is playing is questionable.
Another example: I think it was last year, David Guetta let 2 french guys played on the stage in Ibiza. They were not DJs at all and never pretended to be some but they prepared/recorded their 5min mix very well with a real DJ before and behaved very professional until the end. They gave so much energy by moving during the show with a good playlist that people were crazy.

Criticizing is always difficult, because it's never black or white but it's gray and it depends of each situation.
At last, is the problem the tool or the person who uses it (or doesn't know how to use it)?
As we say in computer science, very often, the issues are between the screen and the chair (for users and developers) and that's why we use more and more AI/robot to fix ourself.

Mensajes Thu 27 Apr 23 @ 4:24 am
There is nothing wrong with using Auto-Mix as a DJ as long as the sets sound seamless and move the crowd.
Any DJ can sound good if the tools of the software utilized compliment the Auto-Mix feature.

Mensajes Thu 27 Apr 23 @ 9:09 am
look, dont use automix to dj a set. What are you doing up there? Pretending to spin the jog wheels and turn knobs? FAKE dj's get replaced quickly.

Mensajes Fri 28 Apr 23 @ 2:38 pm
Unpopular opinion here...

I think us as DJs spend too much time critiquing the choices of other DJs. Automix is there as a choice in almost all software...as well as other "supposedly cheat" features (e.g. sync). Even custom edits/using DVS can be considered cheating depending on the circle you are in. Tools are there to offer options to create, it is up to use to determine if we should use these or not (check it out, Automix has been reintroduced as a whole new feature with the FLX10 (mixpoint link) and it opens up possibilities). In my view, we should focus on how to use those tools to define our own styles rather than play the OG game because what matters at the end is how well youy style is received by the crowd (and what they respect), because it is the personal style that differentiates us/makes us worth paying.

Mensajes Fri 28 Apr 23 @ 4:05 pm
I recently had to start using automix at the beginning of my set at one of my weekly gigs. Doors open at 10pm but I can't get in there before 9:45 because they have a prior event. So I arrive, set up my controller, set up my video connection, and run a pre-edited automix set (I've gone through and edited the transitions for each song in advance) while I set up the rest of the venue, hang signs, set up the photo area & step-and-repeat, etc.

Once I'm done I step into the dj booth and manually take over from automix.

It's the only way I could possibly get it all done since I don't have any help. I'm not thrilled about it, but it's how it needs to be.

Mensajes Sat 29 Apr 23 @ 10:33 am
What could become "automix" in the future based on current innovations (AI), and if we mix different tools? Your DJ /VJ assistant?

You could tell your computer for example:
"create me a party from 11 pm to 4 am, select songs from this style or these playlists or website source, add some visual effects. I want an energy peak each 10min, ...."

Are you ready for this? Is it the good direction? What takes you time and could be automated?
(On one side you have Tools and on the other side you have Services)

Mensajes Sun 30 Apr 23 @ 9:23 am
For reminder and for the fun after a long night, one service introduced in VirtualDJ a long long time ago was the VDjscript "getfood"

Mensajes Sun 30 Apr 23 @ 10:02 am
61%