Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Tema: Tidal HIFI plus subscription - Page: 1
Hello,

I suddenly get the message that i need a tidal HIFI Plus subscription.
I have the normal Tidal HIFI subscription and i still can play music of Tidal, but why this message?

Mensajes Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 9:37 am
SMAODJPRO InfinityMember since 2021
Same here. I hope it stays like this, because for my non commercial use, HiFi + is way too expensive.

Mensajes Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 1:14 pm
As far as I can tell the regular Hi-Fi still works, but maybe this is a transition due to new requirements from Tidal? I use two systems at work and I only get the message on my laptop but not the house computer. So I'm really not sure at all about this.

Mensajes Mon 02 Oct 23 @ 5:16 am
evox81PRO InfinityMember since 2004
So far it seems like you can still play music from a Tidal HiFi, but there seem to be features that no longer function. For example, when you load a track from Tidal, it will no longer calculate stems for that track.

Mensajes Mon 02 Oct 23 @ 3:30 pm
The stems have been removed for all tidal streams.

Mensajes Mon 02 Oct 23 @ 3:32 pm
It has been resolved now. I was in contact with the Tidal support and they solved the problem. Everything's working fine now and to my surprise, you can now download tracks into a cache folder in VDJ, so you won't need a WiFi connection for playing those tracks

Mensajes Sat 07 Oct 23 @ 12:47 pm
DJ Fiftyseven wrote :
It has been resolved now. I was in contact with the Tidal support and they solved the problem. Everything's working fine now and to my surprise, you can now download tracks into a cache folder in VDJ, so you won't need a WiFi connection for playing those tracks

Awesome, simply awesome. Having that cache is super convenient.

Mensajes Sun 08 Oct 23 @ 7:44 am
Yes, caching was made possible at the same time Tidal banned stems use, and VDJ then added it to the latest version (it's in the release notes)

The hifi plus will be needed sometime in the future, I think. We'll have to wait and see if/when Tidal will start to enforce it.
Rumor has it that Beatsource and Beatport will also increase their prices

Mensajes Sun 08 Oct 23 @ 10:26 am
Fantastic. But would be very helpful WHAT solution from Tidal helps ... only from the comment it calms me not, because its less useful. Other users may have the same issues - should they all write to tidal?

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 23 @ 7:34 pm
looks like as of now 11/16/23 you need hifi plus to load a tidal track to vdj..... very disappointing...

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 23 @ 8:38 pm
Yep, as of now (17/11/23) I can no longer load tracks from Tidal with my HiFi subscription (whereas yesterday, I could), and get the following error:

I also note that changing the value of the VDJ setting netsearchAudioQuality to low does not resolve the problem. So either it's a new restriction on Tidal's end that you need HiFi plus, or something to do with how VDJ requests tracks from the API.

I have also messaged Tidal, and will test if changing my subscription type resolves the issue.

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 23 @ 8:59 pm
This thread may be of interest:
https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/255472/General_Discussion/Tidal_error__Help_____.html

where it's mentioned:
Adion wrote :
You need a Tidal Hifi Plus subscription to use Tidal in DJ Software. (Tidal sent a mail about these changes last month)

AND
PhantomDeejay wrote :
No, it's not a "VirtualDJ only" issue.
It will stop working on other software as well.
We don't know when (maybe in a few hours or maybe in a few days) but officially Tidal requires HiFi Plus subscription from now on to be used with DJ software.
As a counteraction it now allows off-line caching of files though

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 23 @ 9:19 pm
martyghen wrote :
will test if changing my subscription type resolves the issue.

Indeed, upgrading to HiFi plus resolves the issue.

Feel free to suggest to Tidal that they make this new requirement clear on their website both on the DJ page https://tidal.com/djs and subscription page https://tidal.com/pricing to avoid confusion.

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 23 @ 9:22 pm
Exactly the same thing happening for me, 15th November all working fine. Today, 16th November with no warning, TIDAL has stopped working.

The error when attempting to load a song into a deck is:
Download Error (Requested quality is not allowed in user's subscription)

If you have nothing showing in VirtualDJ's music search window, there's a suspicious message that says:
"TIDAL HiFi Plus subscription required click here for more info."

If you click for more info, it takes you to your TIDAL account settings page.
Changing the audio quality settings in VirtualDJ makes no difference.
Signing out of and back into TIDAL in VirtualDJ makes no difference.

For me where I only DJ for fun, the £20 / month is too much, especially as I already have a reasonable music collection that I've built up over several years. I was thinking about cancelling the TIDAL subscription when they took stems away. This makes that decision easier.

No doubt some commercial DJs use TIDAL. Imagine turning up to work to find the music does not load. That would be annoying. It also does not give much faith in the service's reliability. Though from that point of view if DJing professionally you probably do not want to rely on streaming anyway, at least not for anything other than the odd request. Though for the ease of playing those odd requests the price you pay just doubled.

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 23 @ 9:52 pm
What you have to bear in mind though is that even with the price increase it's less than a pound a day for access to more music than you know what to do with.

Whether you're earning money from DJing or just a music fan, that's not much to pay. If you were buying vinyl, CDs or even digital downloads, you wouldn't get much for £20.

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 23 @ 10:21 pm
The real deal breaker here in my mind is that Tidal have prohibited VDJ from allowing stems to be used on tracks streamed from Tidal in the latest (and presumably all future) version of VDJ. And presumably other streaming services will follow suit, no doubt under pressure from record labels.

And if I've got to chose between the full and glorious functionality of VDJ stems or Tidal, it's VDJ every day.

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 23 @ 10:50 pm
The sad part though is that streaming + stems allows for more creativity and a faster workflow for that creativity.

There are some bootlegs that I probably would never have tried if not for having the entire internet's repository (exaggeration) of music at my fingertips through streaming, with the ability to apply stems to any of that in real time.

And yes I could still experiment with streaming+EQ and then buy the tracks and do the same, but the workflow is much slower and more expensive...
- Throw on deck from Tidal
- Use EQ as proxy test
- Buy tracks if viable
- Refine with stems instead of EQ

So in my mind this is a huge blow to creativity and innovation (through no fault of VDJs) more than anything else.

Mensajes Thu 16 Nov 23 @ 11:00 pm
Can someone confirm that STEMS are no longer usable on Tidal?
I was considering upgrading to HiFi Plus, since somehow, paying extra to be "being able to DJ" seems "fair". But without stems, it's a no go. Pay more than before for a crippled service? What's going on with you, Tidal??? (I know, this is VDJ's forum, but this needs to be heard)

Mensajes Tue 21 Nov 23 @ 6:21 pm
Yes Stems can NO longer be used with any Tidal tracks.
(since the beginning of October)

And
They did ADD unlimited offline caching of Tidal tracks.

Mensajes Tue 21 Nov 23 @ 7:06 pm
New Update:

Quote :
EA 7816 (2023-11-22)
-Extend Tidal use with regular Hifi subscription

So for awhile.. HiFi Plus is NO longer required to stream Tidal.
With todays EA update.

Mensajes Wed 22 Nov 23 @ 8:36 pm
36%