Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: External Hard Drive Cooling

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

DJTroyPRO InfinityMember since 2005
External Hard drives can overheat and burn out (who woulda thunk it?) And as that bastard Murphy (murphy's law) would have it, failure usually occurs about the third hour of a 4 hour gig. What a time to have to switch to the back up sysem :( TWO GIGS IN A ROW!!!

Cool your Hard Drives.

I currently use an oversized device box (3.5") with a 3 fan front cooler that the local (small) computer had imported from china. This box has an exhaust fan (factory) for the onboard circuitry and transformer. I then used a hole say to cut a vent in the top of the box (just imagine where you want the air to flow). This hole is covered with a fan grate. **this hole is very important, it allows for efficent airflow and cooling** ((just look up hydroponics for more info) -My general rule of thumb is that the size of the (exhaust) vent must be at least the combined size of the intake fans. e.g. 3X1" intake fans would require at least a 3" exhaust hole.

All of these components or substitutes are commonly available.

The problem has not reoccured.

Other Emergency Suggestions: Ice Packs (sealed type), House Fans blowing on the enclosure, or carefully removeing the drive from it's enclosure- if you are not sure how to do this safely DON'T DO IT!

Mensajes Wed 05 Oct 05 @ 7:25 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Usually an Aluminum case would save us from overheat and work just fine.

Mensajes Wed 05 Oct 05 @ 10:39 pm
VoltronPRO InfinityMember since 2004
If ur harddrive is a Maxtor, try to see in the support-site if it's in warrancy. They have a good support area that permit with few euros or dollars to obtain a new one if u haven't open it or put down to the floor. If u have a credit card u can use the "Advanced-service" that permit u to receive the new harddrive before to send them the broken one. U can use the package they sent with the new one and u need only to send them in 60 days.

Mensajes Wed 05 Oct 05 @ 11:05 pm
VoltronPRO InfinityMember since 2004
U will pay only the cost of spedition when u send them the broken

Mensajes Wed 05 Oct 05 @ 11:06 pm
DJTroyPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have aluminum cases, but... The store suggested that the 16 meg cache may have made a heat difference (in a small box) with large files in constant use... ???
I was able to recover the HD's to a useable state, and i have not seen any more degrigation, but they are now being used as back-up drives. At $120.00 /ea, the convenience is worth it.

Thanx for the replies & suggestions...

Mensajes Wed 05 Oct 05 @ 11:18 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I have an external cooler (glue it with 2 way self-adhesive tape) on top of the plastic usb 2.0 enclosure case. The drive inside stays always cool, never had a heat problem with it.
This was the first think i did when i bought the case.

Mensajes Thu 06 Oct 05 @ 3:05 am
For all of your cooling accessories check out www.frozencpu.com. This web site is well known by modders for all of its various cooling accessories for all parts of the computer.

Mensajes Thu 06 Oct 05 @ 6:12 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)