Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: bad bpm settings

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

dave-gPRO InfinityMember since 2005

when i analyze my files on virtual dj sometimes i get some crazy bpms, can anyone help me to correct this, or point me to a program to analize my music to get the right bpm and hopefully cleanout some of the bad files thanx everyone for all the help!!!!!!!!!

Mensajes Fri 25 Nov 05 @ 3:04 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Providing your useing the latest version of VDJ your BPM's should be pretty good, it's better than many BPM detection programs/players.

You know you have 2 detection engines. one is for all music (complex) and one is for house/techno (4/4) music.

Generally when you analyze all of your collection together I'd go for "all music", this generally provides the better figure, now then, list the songs in the file browser in order of BPM, go to either extreme, the top of the list and the bottom.

At the top of the list you probably have some R'n'B/Hip Hop/Rock music listed with BPM's from 150-180bpm, in this case you should select all the songs that look odd in this range (music that is slower but has an extremely high BPM), analyze it with the other engine (House/Techno) and see the results, normally this fixes a few but not all. If you have values remaining so high you should right hand mouse click on the files individually and select "Edit BPM", now select half, this will half the value and probably perfect the BPM value.

It's important to consider now that when you get a reading for a R'n'B/Hip Hop/Pop/rock song at 160-180BPM it's NORMALLY because the BPM engine has counted the off beat as a beat and hence doubled the BPM, this is particuarly true for songs with a complex beat structure like R'n'B and Hip Hop often has.

At the bottom of the list where you might have House and Techno at 65-80BPM, use the house/techno detection and these figures will be corrected instantely, If some don't budge then go into edit BPM again and double the figure displayed. Always bare in mind what is realistic for the song/style.

Now you've sorted out both sides of the extreme you might find a few songs in the mid BPM range a bit out of place, in this case Analyze the song again with the different BPM detection setting, this normally solves those odd few.

Do be sure the new BPM value is correct. The way to test if it's exactly correct is to load the song onto a deck and create a loop on the first beat, if the loop is perfect so is the BPM, if it is not your BPM is bad.

When these measures are taken you'll find that 98-99% of your BPM's are accurate to dead on. This is what people do who care about their BPM's ;).

Lastly bear in mind that their is no BPM detection program/CD player that is 100% right on 100% of the criteria it reads, some are just better than others.

This should solve your problem, if your still getting bad figures after you've taken these measures please let me me know.

Mensajes Fri 25 Nov 05 @ 3:59 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
what could anyone possibly add.....very informative post

Mensajes Fri 25 Nov 05 @ 5:25 am
Just to re-generate this post as it seemed to fall onto the second page within a day, to make sure the thread starter got my response.

How did it go?.

Bagpuss.

Mensajes Mon 28 Nov 05 @ 5:58 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I use "any music" also.
Recently added a Pioneer DJM 3000 mixer which has bpm counters built in.
I am pleased to see the accuracy of VDJ with a +/- .2 bpm.
It is remarkable to look down through out the night and see the numbers match with this new mixer.

Mensajes Wed 30 Nov 05 @ 10:45 pm
Hey Rick...long time no "see". Welcome back.

MS

Mensajes Thu 01 Dec 05 @ 2:00 am
Yea welcome back Rick, I was thinking I hadn't seen you for a long time ;).

Mensajes Thu 01 Dec 05 @ 2:41 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I was gone for a 10 day cruise (25th), and spending more of the time doing what I can to help with eservice. I monitor the general forum more because of available time, less of others.

I am glad to see some of you guys moving up, your contributions are very high profile and you deserve the recognition.

Correction though, the bpm on the Pioneer varies 2 bpm not .02, and is in real time which really shows errors.
It's happening mostly because of drift as you can see occuring in the waveform.
The program's bpm being based on the average of the whole track will inevitably be off at one point or another unless it's electonica/club.
Another cool benefit is that when I would normally count out the bpm, I now look down and there it is.
That is made me see the accuracy of the program's counter.

Mensajes Thu 01 Dec 05 @ 2:01 pm
The program is pretty much as accurate as I'd like (well maybe better on complex tracks), but I'd lke it if a live bPM figure woul;d appear as it did in Atomixmp3, I used to find that most useful.

Now I better buzz over to the new features forum :).

Mensajes Thu 01 Dec 05 @ 5:49 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)