Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: DMX control

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi!
Are there any preferences in VDJ to control the lights(sharps, strobos, etc.), or everything is fully automatic? How does it work?

Mensajes Fri 03 Mar 06 @ 9:47 pm
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005

Mensajes Sat 04 Mar 06 @ 8:29 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Mensajes Wed 08 Mar 06 @ 5:39 pm
DJTroyPRO InfinityMember since 2005
This company is highly respected for it's products. I ave used their line for Pro Live Stage applications. Also, this line repersents curent "pro live' standard. They have a great product line that will also allow you to use your PC as a lighting controller for (concerts, theatre, film/television...). This is a way for your system to earn income during otherwise 'dead' times.

http://www.highend.com/products/controllers/usbdmxwidget.asp

Mensajes Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 1:22 pm
DMX is an industry standard control protocol. Any fixture that is DMX compatable is DMX compatable.

DMX512 represents 512 channels of control per DMX universe. Some larger (pro-touring) consoles have many universes (e.g: 4 universes = 2048 channels of control).

In the end these are all just different types of DMX engines... (Virtual DJ or Pro console)

DMX sends 512 channels of control via a single cable (3 wire XLR standard -similar to a microphone cable). In a traditional anaylog system, 512 channels of control would require a control cable that had 1024 wires (2 wires per switch...) This cable would be expensive (to build and transport), and physically HUGE. Therefore not practicle.

Each lighting fixture requires a certain number of control channels (e.g.: #1: Colour, #2:Gobo, #3 X-Coordinate, #4 Y-Coordinate). Therefore 10 of these fixtures would require 40 chanels of control. (This information is specific to each brand and type of fixture.)

Network protocol is beginning to replace DMX as video signals are sent to moving head video projectors (e.g.: Cataylist Projector Systems http://www.highend.com/products/digital_lighting/ ).

Mensajes Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 2:02 pm
So, Lets do some Addressing...

Each fixture recieves 512 commands per DMX 'cycle'. The fixture needs to know which commands to respond to. This process is called 'addrsssing the fixtures'.

Based on the previous example the addresses would be something like this. (I am only going to use 3 fixtures...)

Fixture #1, Address #1
Channel #1 = Colour
Channel #2 = Gobo
Channel #3 = X Co-ordinate
Channel #4 = Y Co-ordinate

Fixture #2, Address #5
Channel #5 = Colour
Channel #6 = Gobo
Channel #7 = X Co-ordinate
Channel #8 = Y Co-ordinate

Fixture #3, Address #9
Channel #9 = Colour
Channel #10 = Gobo
Channel #11= X Co-ordinate
Channel #12= Y Co-ordinate

Set the addresses based on the manufacturer's instrctions.

Mensajes Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 2:21 pm
As I do not have the equipment in front of me to test it, I will not yet try to explain the actual programing process for Virtual DJ. I will wright more as I gain some experience with the Virtual DJ DMX engine.

In programming your lights, let me leave you with this artistic input:
(1) Less is More
(2) It is not what you light that matters. It is what you do not light that counts.
(3) KISS

Have Fun!

PS - I have not tested the Hog III DMX Widget that I recommended earlier.

Mensajes Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 2:30 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
DJTroy,

Great , thanks for the information it's very helpful!

:-)

Mensajes Sun 19 Mar 06 @ 6:15 pm
Nobody really answered the question...
Can Virtual DJ actually be used to program DMX lights.
If I buy a USB DMX box can I use the software that came with it at the same time as Virtual DJ and it not conflict with it?

I found a site that has a one fairly cheap but I don't think it comes with software.

http://www.enttec.com/opendmxusb.php

Mensajes Tue 28 Mar 06 @ 12:24 pm
I'd like to use DMX control in VDJ too. I have 2 strobes and 2 scanners which are DMX and I use Elation DMX controller.
It's all good, but main issue I'd like to be able to "beatsync" strobes and/or scanners to music - right now scanners are going on their own pattern (random) and strobes are controller manually via controller (frequency wise), because built-in mics are either not sensitive or too sensitive (either flashes too much, almost blinder effect, or too few).

Would VDJ be able to do that?

Mensajes Wed 29 Mar 06 @ 9:07 pm
pvdoproHome userMember since 2006
I am test the 3.4 version of Virtual DJ and can not seem to get the DMX controller to work.
I have a USB/DMX interface that does work with the computer but I cannot configure the DMX portion of the VDJ program to do any thing. Is it not active in the Demo mode?

Thanks, Ron P.

Mensajes Sat 08 Jul 06 @ 4:04 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
DMX control is one of vdj's great mysteries. I don't know anybody on here that uses it, or even knows for sure how it works, or which usb dongles it's compatible with - there's no real mention of it in the instruction manual, maybe it's something the vdj team are developing for version 4...

Mensajes Sat 08 Jul 06 @ 6:14 am
RonPDJPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Will version 4 be able to access the velleman USB/DMX controller?

Mensajes Sun 16 Jul 06 @ 11:23 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)