Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: overpowered speakers

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
i called a speaker company to ask them specs on an old cabinet i had...

and the guy suggested i run 300watt RMS (continuous) speakers with at least a 400watt amplifier.

this seems strange to me because he said "it's better to overpower them rather than have them clip at a lower power and burn out"

.... but i coulda sworn overpowering them is what would do that and blow em... not running them at 300watts like i was planning

im just confused now. was that guy a moron or am i right?

Mensajes Tue 11 Apr 06 @ 3:33 am
HaywardPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Speakers usually have 2 ratings: 1 - Continuous, 2 Peak.
Typically a 300W RMS speaker will handle music peaks up to lets say in this case 400W.
This means the speaker will be able to MAX out at 400W without clipping but you need to have an amplifier that can produce as much as 400W to not overpower the AMP in conjuction with those speakers.
Clipping occurs when you DONT have enough AMP power and the song that you are playing gets to a section that is bass heavy causing 'clipping' to be heard in the MIDS and HIGHS.
I don't know how else to describe it but I'm sure there is a place on the NET that describes it better.
I hope this helps.

Mensajes Tue 11 Apr 06 @ 4:37 am
djzarePRO InfinityMember since 2004
You've been given a good advice about the amp.

Mensajes Tue 11 Apr 06 @ 3:11 pm
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
its more to do with when an amp clips. when you drive an amp at full capacity you get DC current flowing (clipping) which creates distortion as well as much more heat (melting the voice coils).
it is better to have a more powerful amp and run it 3/4 capacity, such as a 400w amp running at 300w as it does not clip. as long as the speakers are rated to 300w of course.
you still have to be carefull not to overpower the speakers so they do not distort, but it is not nearly as bad as a clipping amp. + you'll get much longer life out of your speakers.

Mensajes Tue 11 Apr 06 @ 3:45 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
cool! thanks a lot guys, appreciate the responses.

Mensajes Wed 12 Apr 06 @ 1:23 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)