Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Can Hard Drives be Mounted on Side

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi

This is probably a silly question. But here goes .....

I just bought a new hard disc drive a Seagate 250Gb Extermal USB to store my music files

It's like this one
http://www.lowestonweb.com/Products/DisplayInfoMain.asp?e=79C4C333-46F6-4980-8FD2-D9274849BB21&td=1

It's a bit larger than I bargained for and so I can't mount it in my gig rack case standing up on it's base.

Will it harm it if I put it on it's side and run it like that. I can easily make sure that it has enough ventilation underneath, so that air circulates OK. I tend to think it will be OK, but would like to know what people who know more about computers than me think.

Mensajes Wed 07 Jun 06 @ 11:40 pm
all six of my drive are mounted on their sides. It is very common for server drives to be mounted on their sides without any issues.

Mensajes Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 2:52 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
call me an old timer, but i remember when you had to set the position of a drive and format it that way. Then again I remember my first drive was 20 megs. It doesn't matter much anymore I have drives both ways with no probelms.

Mensajes Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 3:10 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I have a drive that works that way 2 years now and it is working fine. I questioned the same when I decided to put it on side and nobody knew if it will work or not. Experience says it will ;) . How about backwards? LOL

Mensajes Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 6:58 am
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
I saw once on web that it is no good to mount them like tkhs because of motor. I don't really know whan it has to do with position, but maybe it is true :) I also have mounted like this (in barebone) and it works :)

Mensajes Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 8:30 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i have one mounted at a 45 degree angle for the last 2 years and i havent had a problem with it

Mensajes Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 9:58 am
Thanks once again to you great guys for reassurance

I thought so, but feel happy now.

Andy

Mensajes Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 10:34 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Back in my uni days, I had one dangling upside down by it's cables and secured to the side of the pc case with electrical tape. Never caused any trouble.

(Of course, I don't do that kind of thing any more. I find that gaffer tape is far more suitable.)

Mensajes Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 10:09 pm
You should have no issues mounting on the side. All of mine are.

Mensajes Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 10:43 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
A lot of new computer cases, including mine, are actually designed to stack hard drives on their sides. Should be no problem.

Mensajes Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 11:38 pm
No problem, to use it on its side, but keep in mind that it's best to use it always at the same side. In most cases those drives have a "create backup" button, or the power input at one side. Keep this always at the same side. That is what Maxtor recommends with its external drives, I don't know why.
Ewout

Mensajes Thu 08 Jun 06 @ 11:56 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)